Work In Bkk

glenbat

I'm hoping to come to LOS this year most probably on a 1 year visa with the 4 entries on it and am pretty certain my base will be in BKK

I wont need to work in order to get by, but would like to in order to pass the time and get more involved with thai people. I've asked in the Teaching Forum about teaching but thought I'd ask in here about other work, will it be hard for me to find work without a sponsor/permit? I'm not expecting to walk into a 20k a month job same day, but is there stuff out there if you look? And i'm guessing if there is, knowing people in BKK will be an advantage in finding this work?

I've only ever been to Pattaya and never been in BKK room but will no doubt be spendnig many a cold UK winter evening in here over the next few months

Thanks in advance

What work you would be able to get in Thailand would depend very much on your particular skills and experience. The work market for farangs here is much more restricted and smaller than some countries but for people with specific skills sets there are great opportunities. If you fall into that category the relevant company should sort out the work permit for you - you don't need it before you apply to them. If you can give some indication of your skills/interests I/others may be able to help with some suggestions. There is also a much more informal work market here which tends to be for the less well paid jobs. I don't have experience in that area but believe that that would probably be easier to get into when you are here on the ground.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks lucky

My background is Mechanical Engineering, 9 years with a large international pharmaceutical company but I'm guessing thats not worth a great deal i LOS? I'm also a volunteer firefighter but I've been told theres no chance of getting a job doing that in Thailand either

Looks like its unskilled work for me :o

Thanks lucky

My background is Mechanical Engineering, 9 years with a large international pharmaceutical company but I'm guessing thats not worth a great deal i LOS? I'm also a volunteer firefighter but I've been told theres no chance of getting a job doing that in Thailand either

Looks like its unskilled work for me :o

Did that 9 years include any petrochemical plant design or pipeline/process plant experience? Do you have any specialty like rotating equipment, presure vessl, or such? You should contact some of the job shops here in Thailand. With the correct experience you could get a very well paying contract job with a Engineering and Construction company. Oil and Gas work is booming in Thailand (as in the rest of the world).

Do a google search.

TH

care to expand on 'job shops'?

appreciate any infromation.

I suspect he is referring to "body shops" otherwise known as agents.

In my experience if you want to work in Thailand (and do in fact find a job) you will be paid a pittance.

If you're into it for the experience, by all means go for it but don't expect to become wealthy.

Some of the non-financial benefits might well offset the miserable amount of money that you can get. :o

In my experience if you want to work in Thailand (and do in fact find a job) you will be paid a pittance.

If you're into it for the experience, by all means go for it but don't expect to become wealthy.

Some of the non-financial benefits might well offset the miserable amount of money that you can get. :o

I'm sure that was your experience, but other may have different ones. Particularly if they are engineers with Oil and Gas experience, they can go to work just about anywhere they want and it won't be for a pittance.

repeat:

do a google search.

TH

• 2 weeks later...
My background is Mechanical Engineering, 9 years with a large international pharmaceutical company

there are some big pharmaceuticals here that you might consider applying to? Pfizer is here...and who knows they might find your experience to be handy? even if they are not advertising any vacancy....wrte to them and mention that you are gonna be in thailand when submitting your resume...

good luck

I'm sure that was your experience, but other may have different ones. Particularly if they are engineers with Oil and Gas experience, they can go to work just about anywhere they want and it won't be for a pittance.

repeat:

do a google search.

TH

Actually it was not my experience as I have never worked in the realm.

AND I am associated with "oil & gas" and have found that anything on offer in the realm can be as low (in terms of money) as 30-40% of what the going rates are elsewhere.

And it might also come down to what is not, to some, a pittance.

repeat:

do a google search.

TH

Actually it was not my experience as I have never worked in the realm.

AND I am associated with "oil & gas" and have found that anything on offer in the realm can be as low (in terms of money) as 30-40% of what the going rates are elsewhere.

And it might also come down to what is not, to some, a pittance.

Yes, I have chums in this line of work here and I was shocked at the pay scale compared with elsewhere.