Trump, Macron and election - what prompted Merkel's blunt Munich speech

webfact

The US is the largest contributor because it has the largest defence budget in the World. To keep a defence budget that large and to increase it another $52Billion Trump is willing to pass a healthcare bill that will throw over 20 million Americans off healthcare; cut welfare and social programs for the most vulnerable in American Society- the poor and elderly; build a $20 Billion border wall which is useless and then expect Germany and the rest of Europe to increase their budgets to a point in which Europe becomes as third World as America is becoming.

As far as Merkel spending money on refugees- at least she is willing to save lives and it will be up to GErmany to decide if that is what they want not the Americans.

Trump has made a huge error in judgement on this issue as he has done on so many other things. America needs Europe more than Europe needs America.  Should Merkel and the rest of Europe get cozy with Russia and fall into the Russian orbit- Trump will have sold America down the drain.  Donald Trump will go down in History as the worst President ever elected .

In my almost 50 years of voting in American elections, I cannot ever think of a President that is so disagreeable; downright rude and completely ignorant.

Actually, it is the national interest of the US to fight in Europe should there be a Russian invasion of a Nato country. Article 5 of Nato state an attack on one is an attack on all. American military doctrine is based upon fighting the war on European soil so America is free to ramp up its war machine and turn out huge amounts of military armament needed to fight this type of war. In addition, from an economic standpoint- a war in Europe in which Russia controlled large sections of Germany, France etc would have  a huge impact on the American and World economy.

The American military command and several influential American politicians could never sit still should Trump refuse to come to the aid of Europe. He would be removed from power by his own cabinet and Vice President invoking the 25th Amendment.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:00 AM, darksidedog said:

Given that NATO does not have a billing system, could you be so kind as to explain these fictitious bills that haven't been paid?

I mean how much, who owes what, who is really behind on payments?

I suspect you will have a problem doing so, as they are but a figment of imagination within a very small mind, that once repeated often enough, lead the gullible into believing things that are untrue to be otherwise.

Only after 2024 is there any requirement for any NATO member to spend a minimum amount, 2% of GDP.

Obviously, if you can find and post a credible link to support your overdue bill fantasy, please do so.

And by credible, I mean a statistic detailing the bills, not just a quote from Donald that most of us know is wholly untrue.

You have a valid point of course, but can you tell me if any of the Nato countries have outlined their plans to increase their defence spending in stages up to the 2%of GDP level by 2024?  

Or will they all magically declare just before 2024 that they will be suddenly increasing their defence budgets from their existing considerably lower levels  up to 2% in one go?  In reality, many of the Nato countries will merely claim poverty and announce that they are unable to meet the agreed target.