Bars to resist two-day ban on alcohol around commune elections

geovalin

Local bars and restaurants have balked at a government directive that bans the sale or consumption of alcohol this weekend in a move ostensibly aimed at preventing civil disorder and unrest during commune elections.

The directive, issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen last Friday, requires all businesses that serve spirits to abstain from selling to patrons on June 3 and 4, and urges compliance from both locals and foreigners to ensure a smooth election process. It warns of the threat of alcohol-induced violence, traffic accidents, crimes and disorder during the election process.

The directive does not detail how the temporary alcohol ban will be enforced or explain the penalties for failing to comply.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/bars-resist-two-day-ban-alcohol-around-commune-elections

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 30/05

Hmm why on earth would someone on holiday or ex-pat be stopped from drinking while the nation goes to vote ? I mean it's not like the y will be hanging around the election booths.

Still they could come over the border to buy a drink I suppose - just don't do it before 11 am, after 2 pm, before 5pm or after midnight !!! 

54 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Hmm why on earth would someone on holiday or ex-pat be stopped from drinking while the nation goes to vote ? I mean it's not like the y will be hanging around the election booths.

Still they could come over the border to buy a drink I suppose - just don't do it before 11 am, after 2 pm, before 5pm or after midnight !!! 

So you are saying that if they ban alcohol sales it should be a ban only for the locals as the farangs on holiday should be excluded from the ban ? What a DXMB statement.