Red-faced over Blackface: Vogue Thailand fails with model channeling Grace Jones in blackface

webfact

18 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

OK I think I get it, It is acceptable to imitate someone, dress like someone, do a voice impersonation, but don't ever ever ever simulate their skin color. 

PC world gone nuts, tying itself in knots. 

OK if you are impersonating "a Whitey" though in any context!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, idman said:

I remember way back in October of 1997 on my first trip to Thailand I went into a store to buy some toothpaste and came across the Darkie brand. Right on the box in more than one place was a guy in a tuxedo and in blackface. To me it looked like a rip off of Al Jolsen in the Jazz Singer. I bought two, one to use and one to bring back to San Francisco. I knew nobody would believe this outright blatant racism unless they could see it for themselves. It wasn't for another six years I believe before the company were forced to make a change due to outrage from the World community. What did they do???? Why just a simple change from Darkie to Darlie on the box. Of course they left the guy in tuxedo and black face alone. I still to this day am shocked that they are not forced to remove this symbol of racism. IMO Thailand is ONE of the most racist countries in the world and they could care less.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

True, they also sell "anti black" whitening cream love too see how that would go down in the west!

10 minutes ago, idman said:

Why just a simple change from Darkie to Darlie on the box. Of course they left the guy in tuxedo and black face alone.

They also changed the Black guy to a White guy and changed the name

photo.jpg

sdsd.jpg

18 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

They never learn.  On the plus side, no Nazi attire.

The charcoal donut fiasco was just 4 years ago.

dunkin_2.jpg

Don't tell us you've been saving that picture (or a link to it) for another moment such as this?

Edited by NanLaew

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

What for real?! Or just in the film?

Just in the film, I think the plot line was you died if a small space was not left uncovered by paint.

No idea if the science is true or not

2 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Blackface isn't just a minor historical White faux pas that African Americans should "just get over" and chill. It was a sustained, decades-long public humiliation on television, big screen and stage that consistently depicted Blacks as simple-minded servile buffoons. All the way until the 1980s. Some day, perhaps it *will* be "gotten over"

That is American !!!!

American history isnt World history

Americans leave the USA physically, but do not mentally seem to be able to leave it

Thailand doesnt have a history of slavery, segregation and lynch mobs

White Americans telling brown Asians that they cannot dress up like Black Jamaicans !!!!!

7 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

this is utter nonsense - blackface is a caricature of the old minstrel thing, a grace jones tribute is hardly promoting an unflattering stereotype.

It's not promoting ''blackface'', it's using ''blackface'' to promote itself.

That is the problem.

Not the Grace Jones tribute, but the manner of it.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

That is American !!!!

Americans leave the USA physically, but do not mentally seem to be able to leave it

White Americans telling brown Asians that they cannot dress up like Black Jamaicans !!!!!

No one is talking about dress up.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That is American !!!!

Well actually Thailand does have a history of slavery, and slavery still exists here. But that is nothing to do with the OP

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Dressing up is one thing.

''Blackface'' quite another.

The whole advertising campaign was racist in nature and was withdrawn.

Blackface is racism.

They sell dark makeup for dark skinned people. No one buys it though because it would be racist to use it.

The image in the OP is not in blackface by the way. It is barely a medium brown.

Edited by canuckamuck

28 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That is American !!!!

They can "dress up"—as you put it—however they want. However it's right that they be told that by doing so, they are offending not just African Americans, but decent people of all stripes who are aware of the shameful decades of blackface humiliation that was meted out.

Both Vogue and Dunkin' Donuts are international companies with a strong American presence, making their lack of sensitivity all the more galling.

18 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Go back to the complete advertising campaign.

You'll see why.

Because someone is painted the same color as a product??

How is that racist.

Is it racist for other colors, or only one??

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

They sell dark makeup for dark skinned people. No one buys it though because it would be racist to use it.

The image in the OP is not in blackface by the way. It is barely a medium brown.

The image in the campaign is ''blackface''.

As to your ''point'' on make up...make up is made to complement skin tone, not mimic another.

4 minutes ago, DLang said:

Because someone is painted the same color as a product??

How is that racist.

Is it racist for other colors, or only one??

As you are clearly incapable of independent research

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/30/dunkin-donuts-racist-thai-advert-blackface

Edited by Bluespunk

3 minutes ago, DLang said:

How is someone with a face painted black to advertise a black colored product racist?

Using ''blackface'' is reviving/paying homage to a tradition rooted in bigotry and hate.

I've never said this was Vogue's intention, but it is what they did.

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As you are clearly incapable of independent research

What a load of delicate nonsense.

Not blackface, black body. The same color as the black product they are selling.Painting one's body the same color as the product.

Racist. How?

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Using ''blackface'' is reviving/paying homage to a tradition rooted in bigotry and hate.

No, it is a model's face being painted to recognize the color of a product or other person.

It isn't reviving or paying homage to anything other than the product/person.