Video: Impatient drivers show appalling driving habits

webfact

Video: Impatient drivers show appalling driving habits

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A video posted online shows a stream of drivers at an intersection going the wrong way around a U-turn.

The incident happened near the Phra Nang Klao intersection in Bangkok and is all the worse because a legal U-turn is available just 150 meters further along the road, reporyed Thai Rath.

The Thai poster of the clip on the Social Hunter page on Facebook pulled no punches calling his compatriots "absolute disgraceful" for

their driving making others doing legal turns wait while they broke the law.

Local police told Thai Rath that drivers don't normally do this at this intersection saying that the reason for the mass law breaking was because of flooding in the area that created a lot of frustration.

But they said a better barrier is going up and that people who turn the wrong way at this point will be fined.

The poster of the video said that fines of up to 5,000 baht should be levied.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-31

Local police said that people don't normally do that. 

What is normal on the roads here?

People are constantly driving the wrong way and on the wrong side of the road everywhere. No one takes any notice.

33 minutes ago, petedk said:

Local police said that people don't normally do that. 

What is normal on the roads here?

People are constantly driving the wrong way and on the wrong side of the road everywhere. No one takes any notice.

BiB takes the lead in driving the wrong way...so, Do as I say and not as I do?

the fact that many of the drivers here have no idea of the road rules or even try to obey signage doesnt help. We has the road near us being totally upgraded as it floods at high tide, signage is up saying the road is closed & barriers are up while they work but bikes and cars simply drive around them and onto the road works having to dodge the heavy machinery, gouging out deep ruts and making them repeatedly have to re level the road base. Like this story they are all ignorant, totally impatient and do as they please, thing is the law doesnt give a sh*t what they do or try to stop them. Part of living here is realizing that many thais do as they please, ignore the law and screw everyone else, they simply refuse to go out of their way.

as I have said many times on this forum, ask any of the drivers do they know they are breaking the law or doing something wrong very often causing accidents and death on Thai roads - 90% will tell you "yes " I did know I was wrong and breaking the law,  this would clearly indicate that it is not a training shortfall or lack of knowledge of the laws and rules - it is purely down to lack of law enforcement on the roads. Ask them why they did it when they knew they were breaking the law, answer - who is going to stop me

In the video I can hear a whistle, would that be a police officer or a parking attendant?

The problem is, the police that write tickets do nothing to promote safety. They find the easiest way to make money. This concept of writing a ticket and getting a commission needs to stop.

Ticketing motorcycles that pose no danger while doing nothing with all the cars parked illegally that do pose a danger is ridiculous. What are the police doing to promote safety and bring down the number of deaths each day? The answer really is nothing. People can complain all they want about having the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world, but setting up "nets" to check registrations does absolutely nothing for the people. Why don't the police actually "patrol"?

wrongway.png

7 minutes ago, akampa said:

Thai drivers are hilarious  :cheesy:

You say Thai drivers are hilarious..........Well i say you are wrong.....

Thai drivers are not hilarious, they are bloody crazy/ dangerous.

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

They are like sheep Col I have seen one go through a red light and the rest will follow  Even the cops follow lol  Its me first attitude stuff the rules

18 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

BIB dont make excuses for these drivers and just do your damn job 

Right - do we know the job of the 'BiB'? 

Maybe instead of denying these people the right to do a U-turn with the placement of those concrete walls, they could make it a double U-turn... 

Damn right it's about a lack of patience - who is the idiot who decides where to put up these black/white concrete walls to deny traffic the opportunity to do a quick U_turn here, instead forcing them to go on and further block up the junction ahead?

We cannot ascribe any authority to the 'BiB' or any other 'police' agencies out there... they're not 'police' in the sense that we have previously learned.

Last night, travelling near Ikea, I was following a 'Police' bike - red lights flashing, along the middle of the left-side lane on the road at around 40km/h. A car pulled out from Ikea and made a right turn without bothering to cross the road first, the car drove towards us in the centre almost hitting the 'Police' bike. 

The 'Action' taken by the 'Policeman' was to stare at the driver whilst taking evasive action.

So before you start shouting 'Do your damn job' you must find out who employs these buffoons, who tells them what to do, and (unless, as I suspect, the real job is rather a secret mission to serve the elite and not provide any transparency whatsoever) then admit that there's no real intention to do any 'policing' beyond the childish games they play.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

well it`s sarcasm  ( may be used in an indirect manner, and have the form of irony )

59 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

They are like sheep Col I have seen one go through a red light and the rest will follow  Even the cops follow lol  Its me first attitude stuff the rules

check out post #22

10 minutes ago, akampa said:

well it`s sarcasm  ( may be used in an indirect manner, and have the form of irony )

Maybe funny for you, but a crazy Thai driver destroyed my life, so not funny for me.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Maybe funny for you, but a crazy Thai driver destroyed my life, so not funny for me.

sorry to hear that ,but I was not being funny but sarcastic (Expressing or expressive of ridicule using sarcasm )

Only thing that amazes me about Police here , is the way even with many witnesses who saw Thai Mocy Rider cause the Accident the Police seem intent on blameing the Car / Truck be the Driver Thai or Ferang..in my day they blamed the prat on the Bike, it generally was, still is.??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

While this is a perfect example of the selfish me-first attitude of many drivers here, this is also an example of the astronomically daft road design... 

I see no reason whatsoever not to make the a 'double u-turn'...  It just doesn't make sense to me that traffic coming from one direction can make a u-turn and traffic from the another direction can't... In some area's the stupidity of the road layout often forces drivers in to illegal actions - I'm not condoning this, but I can understand why sometimes.