UPS

Becker

For the second time in about 4-5 years the battery of my UPS seems to have called it quits. As changing the battery costs not much less than buying a new one I wonder if there are any suggestions regarding where to get a new one in Pattaya.

Obviously price is a factor but I would also want to get something that lasts for a while. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Amorn in the basement at Tukcom. Left side as you go in, behind the cashiers desk. Getting 4-5 years out of a UPS battery is pretty much my experience.

That's where I usually go for my repairs and that's where I had the battery changed the last time. And as I said it ended up cosing almost the same as a new unit so that's what I'm after now.

Not difficult to change it yourself. Take out the battery, take it to an electronics shop, get similar (maybe B400?), replace. You can also have one delivered from Lazada (~B650): http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=battery ups

A high quality typical UPS (Powercom or APC) will cost about B3000. I don't think Amorn will charge nearly that much to change your UPS battery.

Edited by JSixpack

11 hours ago, Becker said:

That's where I usually go for my repairs and that's where I had the battery changed the last time. And as I said it ended up cosing almost the same as a new unit so that's what I'm after now.

Yeah batteries are like 500b (ish) each. You must have a really cheap UPS or they Charged you a motza to swap it over.

You're not writing on behalf of your 'friend' at BA's IT department are you?  ?

I just replaced my UPS recently,  as I found the same as you, same cost to replace the whole thing as replace the battery.   Will be interesting to see how you get on.

13 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Yeah batteries are like 500b (ish) each. You must have a really cheap UPS or they Charged you a motza to swap it over.

I paid about 3500 Baht for my UPS about 5 years ago and think I paid about 3000 Baht to have the battery (allegedly) replaced in Amorn a couple of years ago. They might have cheated me, of course.

So you're saying that the battery should only cost about 500 Baht? Any suggestion as to where I can have this done?

17 minutes ago, Becker said:

I paid about 3500 Baht for my UPS about 5 years ago and think I paid about 3000 Baht to have the battery (allegedly) replaced in Amorn a couple of years ago. They might have cheated me, of course.

So you're saying that the battery should only cost about 500 Baht? Any suggestion as to where I can have this done?

What model is your UPS ?

Any small electrical repair business will be able to swap the battery.

4 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

What model is your UPS ?

Any small electrical repair business will be able to swap the battery.

It's a PCM Powercom. I went to the repair shop in the Power Buy store near Foodland on Klang because I'm not happy with the service I've gotten on a couple of occasions in Amorn but they could not fix it as they didn't have a supplier for the battery.

I don't know of any other shops that can do this. Any suggestions?

5 minutes ago, Becker said:

It's a PCM Powercom. I went to the repair shop in the Power Buy store near Foodland on Klang because I'm not happy with the service I've gotten on a couple of occasions in Amorn but they could not fix it as they didn't have a supplier for the battery.

I don't know of any other shops that can do this. Any suggestions?

What model PCM Powercom ?

15 minutes ago, Becker said:

Imperial Series.

Here's a link to their website.

I cannot imagine that they don't use anything other than the standard 12V gel cell that Amorn stocks costing between 500 and 800 baht.

You were ripped off IMHO. Your UPS is well out of warranty now so open it up and see what battery is inside.

12 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Unless you are going to post up the full model number there is little that anyone here can help you with.

Good luck with your battery replacement.

It's a model IMD-525AP. As stated in my original mail I was going to buy a new model but since you claim that batteries should only cost about 500 Baht I will try to find a more reliable repair shop than Amorn.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Here's a link to their website.

I cannot imagine that they don't use anything other than the standard 12V gel cell that Amorn stocks costing between 500 and 800 baht.

You were ripped off IMHO. Your UPS is well out of warranty now so open it up and see what battery is inside.

I'm real good at disassembling stuff. It's the assembly part I have issues with:tongue:

1 hour ago, Becker said:

They did. Should be around B800. There's another Amorn at Sriricha.

2 hours ago, Becker said:

I'm real good at disassembling stuff. It's the assembly part I have issues with:tongue:

Even if you don't understand Russian, this shows how easy it is. Then take a photo of the duff battery and take the measurements and off to Amorn you go.

3 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

I just replaced my UPS recently,  as I found the same as you, same cost to replace the whole thing as replace the battery.

Did you go to Amorn in the basement of Tukcom to get that piece of disinformation?

Next time, just take the battery out, get the details, buy the replacement and do it yourself.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Did you go to Amorn in the basement of Tukcom to get that piece of disinformation?

Next time, just take the battery out, get the details, buy the replacement and do it yourself.

Yep.  I know for next time.  It was a large office UPS with four batteries - probably still providing good service, with new batteries, in someone elses office now. ?