Medical cover options

Hi all

Plan to have 10-12 months in Thailand from around Sept/Oct and want to know what options I have to get health cover for the family and myself. My wife and daughter are dual nationals, so technically I guess can access 30B health care, although really I'd like to get some better cover for them if needed. I am probably going to apply for a non-imm 'O' visa and will look for some work, teaching in language schools like I have done on previous extended stays. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers 

If you will return to your home country after 10-12 months, and assuming you are insured there, consider a travel policy. Make sure it is from a reputable large company. These are quite affordable since they will pay only for urgent care.

Re your wife and daughter, they will be covered but only (emergencies aside) at the hospital which serves the area where they are listed in a tabian ban (house book).

Yeh I was thinking of ordinary travel insurance just to cover urgent care. Problem is I will be looking for work whilst there, so worried I would invalidate my policy.

We will be in Chiang Mai and my family are registered within the province, but I want them to have the same level of care as me should the worst happen. 

Actually their "level of care" will be much higher than yours, with everything covered, inpatient and outpatient.

It is not the case that care in private hospitals is necessarily better than in government hospitals. More often the reverse. Private hospitals are certainly more convenient -- getting non emergent care at a govrrnment hospital can take all day -- but convenience and quality are different matters. And in an emergency there is nowhete better to go thsn the ER of a large, tertiary level government hospital.

There are some good hospitals there in Chiang Mai. Also good dental hospitals. Root canal, crowns or bridge work need done make sure u get done in Chiang Rai. Most Doctors US trained and are very good. Can usually go online to see qualifications of person u see. 

My son was born in Chiang Rai Hospital and I paid about $1000. I had bad tummy for about 8 weeks when I first arrived, went to doctor but ended in Emergency. They tend to give too much meds in the hospital which is where they get more money. Just got to learn what you need, which you can do for simple things on the internet.

I always found service in hospitals first rate, better then service in some Australian Hospitals. And cheaper. 

Always good support here with Sheryl, if you need to run something past someone.

Spoke to Insure and Go and they confirmed its ok to work on a 'backpacker' policy which can cover for the time I am away. Should give me the medical cover required for an emergency and my daughter is covered free too. My wife seems happy enough with the 30B health cover too.