Applying for a non-imm 'O' at London Embassy

Hi all

I am looking into having 10-12 months in Thailand and plan to apply for a non-imm 'O' visa from London. Firstly, can you apply from this by post? Their website suggests this but the Hull Consulate said on the phone you can't. What supporting documents would I need to send and is there a minimum amount of savings required? My wife and daughter are Thai nationals. I plan to work when I get there, so I assume it will be OK to still apply for a work permit if offered one by an employer?

Thanks

• Like 1

You qualify to apply for a multiple-entry non-O visa for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to visit you wife and daughter of Thai nationality living in Thailand. The general requirements for this visa type are on the following page of the website of Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which serves Thai embassies as a guide for establishing the requirements in their countries of responsibility:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

The Thai embassy in London lists the following requirements for the non-O visa on this web page:

• Non-Immigrant Type O
  • Birth Certificate (applicant's child)
  • A copy of marriage certificate and a copy of Thai passport or a copy of Thai ID card (if married to Thai national)
  • A copy of marriage certificate,a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 annually.)
  • An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)
  • Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.

The last two requirements do not apply to your situation but you may, if you wish, enclose a letter from your wife addressed to the embassy stating that she has invited you to visit her and your daughter as often as possible and for as long a period as possible, and asking the embassy kindly to give you the necessary visa for this purpose. This letter can be in Thai language.

No financial proof needed, marriage cert both sides, birth cert of child both sides copy of wife's id card both sides and copy of housebook if you have one...........Do not forget both sides, I did a few years ago.

Sounds pretty straight forward. Just to clarify my family live with me currently in the UK, are dual nationals and will be moving over with me at the same time. My daughter was born here also, but got a Thai birth cert and passport from the UK Embassy and I think she is also registered to the grandparents housebook along with my wife. Hope this is still a straight forward process? We want to spend time with family and friends before my daughter gets to school age. 

48 minutes ago, wildwildbill said:

Sounds pretty straight forward. Just to clarify my family live with me currently in the UK, are dual nationals and will be moving over with me at the same time. My daughter was born here also, but got a Thai birth cert and passport from the UK Embassy and I think she is also registered to the grandparents housebook along with my wife. Hope this is still a straight forward process? We want to spend time with family and friends before my daughter gets to school age. 

You don't need copies of house books or your daughters birth certificate.

You just need a copy of your marriage certificate and wife's Thai ID.

• Like 1

Up to you but I called the embassy around 4 years ago and that's what they told me to send so that's what I send along with a n envelope with your uk address to return your passport and £135 postal order £125 for the visa and £10 for the return postage and it usually gets back within a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Got this response back from the UK Embassy:

Dear Sir/Madam,

you need to proved photos copy of married certificate and copy of you wife Thai ID card and Thai Passport 

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer

Royal Thai Embassy

They didn't confirm whether you can post or not but I am guessing you can? If so it sounds very straight forward. 

How to Apply for a Visa by Post

The Royal Thai Embassy in London commenced its visa application by post service on the 2 January 2014. Termination of visa services by post at the Royal Thai Consulates in the United Kingdom and Ireland (namely, the Royal Thai Consulates in Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow, Gibraltar and Dublin) will be effective from 15 January 2014. 

Certain nationals / passport holders of the Middle East, South Asia and East Asia must submit visas in person to the Royal Thai Embassy in London, click here for more info.

All types of visas are issued according to your purpose of visit which must be stated clearly by the applicant. Failure to do so shall inevitably incur delays.

Visas issued must be used within 3 months from the date of application. Upon arrival in Thailand, the actual length of your stay (starting from the date of entry), shall be determined and granted at the discretion of Immigration Officers.

Who Can Apply for the Visa by Post

Non-Immigrant Visa

For other purposes than tourism, please submit evidence substantiating the purpose of your stay.

Examples of such evidence are:

• In the case of transit: a confirmed travel document (air ticket etc.) showing Thailand as point of transit. 
  • In the case of a business trip (Non-immigrant "B"): a letter of invitation, a confirmation letter of employer and/or a letter from a business counterpart in Thailand. 
  • In the case of working in Thailand: a letter of employment from your prospective employer, such a document should be addressed to The Royal Thai Embassy, and a copy of the companies registration certificate in Thailand.  
  • In the case of settlement in Thailand with Thai spouse/ Children/ Parents(Non-immigrant "O"): photo copy certificate of marriage, birth, Thai nationality passport/Thai ID card.(please do not send the original)
  • In the case of UK Pensioner (Non-immigrant "O"): a copy of UK State Pension. 

When Submitting your Application by Post

• Complete and sign one application form. Only visa application forms issued by The Royal Thai Embassy in London will be accepted. A separate form is required for each traveller regardless of age. Download form here.
  • Your Passport/Travel Document which must be valid for at least 6 Months from the date of  application.
  • Two (2) recent passport size photos.
  • Tourist Visa Single Entry (£25), Tourist Visa Multiple Entries (£125), Non Immigrant Visa Single Entry (£50) and Non-Immigrant Visa Multiple Entries (£125).
  • Each applicant must enclose return address and pay an extra £10 on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport.

Visa application by post will normally be processed within 3 - 5 working days

Visa applications submitted by post must be sent to

Visa Section, Royal Thai Embassy
29 - 30 Queen's Gate
London
SW7 5JB

Please send the documents by Royal Mail Special Delivery (You can track the delivery status via Royal Mail: https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item). The embassy will not be held responsible for lost / stolen / damaged document. It is recommended to use the stamps to send and return rather than a franking stamp from the post office as franking stamps will limit the date of posting. 

Visa and postage fee must be paid by Postal Order made payable to: The Royal Thai Embassy. Please write down the applicant's name and passport number at the back of the postal order.

***CHEQUES ARE NOT ACCEPTED. NO REFUNDS IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES***

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern#section2 

• 1 month later...

Got my passport and visa back today. Here's what I sent and what it cost:

Sent

Passport

Application form

Two photos

Copy of wife's passport (photo page and outside cover)

Copy of wife's ID card (both sides)

Copy of marriage cert (both sides) 

Self addressed envelope 

No need for financial details, house book, child's birth cert etc...

Costs

Visa fee - £125

Post Office fee for postal order (Why you can't send a cheque I don't know) - £12

Special delivery - £6.75

Passport photos - £5

Return postage - £10 (some profit there for the embassy)

So all in all it cost £158.75. Better than a trip to London and took Three working days. 

• Like 1

Got my passport and visa back today. Here's what I sent and what it cost:

Sent
Passport
Application form
Two photos
Copy of wife's passport (photo page and outside cover)
Copy of wife's ID card (both sides)
Copy of marriage cert (both sides) 
Self addressed envelope 

No need for financial details, house book, child's birth cert etc...

Costs
Visa fee - £125
Post Office fee for postal order (Why you can't send a cheque I don't know) - £12
Special delivery - £6.75
Passport photos - £5
Return postage - £10 (some profit there for the embassy)

So all in all it cost £158.75. Better than a trip to London and took Three working days. 

Cheques have been known to bounce?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1