Organ traffickers facing 30 years in jail

geovalin

Two Cambodians arrested on allegations of organ trafficking last week were officially charged in Phnom Penh yesterday and could face up to 30 years in prison.

Lach Hong Meng, 34, and Heng Lat, 38, were arrested last Wednesday after allegedly acting as brokers and offering at least 10 victims $5,800 for their kidneys over the past year.

The pair allegedly flew victims and organ recipients to India for surgery, and used fake documents to disguise the donors as relatives of the recipients.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/organ-traffickers-facing-30-years-jail

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 01/06

This has been going on for years. I remember the highly efficient group in Bali  where you woke up in the morning after being drugged with one kidney gone.

The guy that died I remember only had one kidney       ,,,,,oops

2 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

If you can live with 1 kidney and 1/3 of your liver (as it regenerates)  why not sell? - it's your body your choice - not sure why illegal? Not for me but for some? 

From your perspective the above opinion sounds reasonable, but unfortunately for most people the world is not a place governed by personal choice.

"one survey of kidney donors in Pakistan’s for-profit market, where two-thirds of the operations are performed on foreigners. The survey showed that almost 70 percent of donors were slaves or bonded laborers; 90 percent were illiterate; 88 percent had no improvement in economic status from the donation; and 98 percent reported a subsequent decline in health, including chronic pain from large incisions."

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2008/02/ethicists-philosophers-discuss-selling-of-human-organs/

8 hours ago, natway09 said:

This has been going on for years. I remember the highly efficient group in Bali  where you woke up in the morning after being drugged with one kidney gone.

The guy that died I remember only had one kidney       ,,,,,oops

Selling kidneys yes, waking up in a tub of ice minus a kidney, urban legend. :coffee1:

7 hours ago, phil2407 said:

If you can live with 1 kidney and 1/3 of your liver (as it regenerates)  why not sell? - it's your body your choice - not sure why illegal? Not for me but for some? 

I'm dumbfounded by that post!

People living on fresh air charmed by some snake oil salesmen to flog a kidney so that some fat westerner can carry on a life of excess.

Regardless of which medical school a doctor graduates from the removal of a perfectly healthy organ is a monstrous complex decision and procedure.

Lying down in some hut with a roof made from banana leaves, while a struck off doctor ( more probably a barely qualified paramedic ) cuts out the organ can never be justified.

These donors are desperate but some modern day spruiker believes cash is ok and absolves all concerns.

Unless the organ is for a very ill person and the procedure is being carried out in a fully equipped and manned surgery with highly qualified personnel and the donor fully appraised of the consequences then it shouldnt even be considered.

The choice is not simply down to the individual. It requires several others in the chain.