Powerline adapters

janclaes47

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

But there are OTHER forms of Ethernet Media Converters that use copper wire, coax,

For the coax option.

I have this

http://infinitysystem.co.th/product-series.php?pro=00142

Now if I buy this and place at the side of the cameras, am I then good to go?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EoC-Ethernet-Extender-over-Coax-2Km-Transmission-Distance-for-Camera-N5G7-/142104567865?hash=item211617a039:g:8MIAAOSw9IpXxRvE

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S684-1-761a-ppOh.jpg   S684-1-761a-p8cN.jpg

Generally, I like to have equipment from the same manufacture to make sure the setup options are completely compatible and supported.  There's nothing in the text description to indicate these Ethernet Converters would be compatible with anything other than themselves. So I wouldn't bet on them being 'compatible' with your S7400.  The text indicates they must be used in 'pairs' or multiples ("One to Many"). 

The text also notes, "Variety transmission medium, coaxial cable, telephone cable or UTP cable".  They utilize bayonet rather than F-connectors. 

Should work just as well as Powerline Adapters. 

For my couple of cents worth: I think you need to go back and estimate the worth of your cameras and monitoring.

Do you want the operation and monitoring to be extremely reliable? If the answer is YES, then you need a dedicated system.
To my mind a dedicated system is CAT cable, buried in that red and black conduit, to each camera.

If you do use a shared system, over power line adaptors, and you get strong interference at some times, then maybe your digital 1s or 0s may be changed to 0s and 1s (logic circuits specify what voltage a 1 or 0 is) and your picture resolution will be crap.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, RichCor said:

Generally, I like to have equipment from the same manufacture to make sure the setup options are completely compatible and supported.  There's nothing in the text description to indicate these Ethernet Converters would be compatible with anything other than themselves. So I wouldn't bet on them being 'compatible' with your S7400.  The text indicates they must be used in 'pairs' or multiples ("One to Many"). 

The text also notes, "Variety transmission medium, coaxial cable, telephone cable or UTP cable".  They utilize bayonet rather than F-connectors. 

I was of the opinion that all these EoC devices used the same protocol, but I understand that it will be a hit and miss if the work together.

For sure it will make it much easier if I can use these devices because the coaxial cable from start to end is in place already.

The difference in connector I assume might not be an obstacle, as they are just screw on, but the connection to the cable of bayonet and F-connector is similar.

To get back to your " one to many " indication, which I hadn't noticed.

I have 2 locations where I could utilize such a device, coaxial cable in place in both locations, but how would I go with 2 transmitters and 1 receiver, since I see only 1 cable IN connection?

4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:
10 hours ago, RichCor said:

I was of the opinion that all these EoC devices used the same protocol, but I understand that it will be a hit and miss if the work together.

For sure it will make it much easier if I can use these devices because the coaxial cable from start to end is in place already.

The difference in connector I assume might not be an obstacle, as they are just screw on, but the connection to the cable of bayonet and F-connector is similar.

To get back to your " one to many " indication, which I hadn't noticed.

I have 2 locations where I could utilize such a device, coaxial cable in place in both locations, but how would I go with 2 transmitters and 1 receiver, since I see only 1 cable IN connection?

I discovered that I have 2 of those S7400 EoC slaves.

Can I use them in the same way as the EoC Ethernet extenders of Ebay?

EoC seems to be an always evolving protocol and multiple solutions.

Wikipedia: EoC (Ethernet over Coax)

While most are dedicated to re-using already in-place coax installations some are proprietary solutions, so no guarantee different adapters will be compatible.

With Master/Slave configurations, usually there is one MASTER and one or multiple SLAVE devices on a commoned coaxial connection. The coax can be daisy-chain (in/out) or even external splitter/coupler distributed.

Some EoC devices are designed to function on an already-functioning CaTV distribution coax, while other solutions are meant to operate in isolation.

EoC is widely used in condo buildings. It certainly worked well enough in mine when I had it. This involved sharing one cable for both TV and broadband, with splitters at both ends. Other splitters in theory allow for satellite to be added to the mix though I suspect that the more you add the less reliable it becomes.

On 6/2/2017 at 2:09 AM, RichCor said:

I just measured the resistance of one of the coax cables I want to use, by connecting the metal shield to the centre core at one end, then measure with an multimeter at the other end.

The resistance reads 11 Ohm. Is that too high or acceptable to use the EoC Ethernet extenders ?

The cable length is about 40 meters

Just now, Forkinhades said:

Can you send a pic, not sure what your trying to accomplish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

At one end of the cable ( maids quarters) I tie the shield and core together, then I go on my loft where there are a bundle of coax cables entering to find which one comes from the maids quarters.

I do this by connecting a multimeter betwwen core and shield of each cable.

The one that gives a measurement is the right one, isn't it.

The reading on the scale, with the digital  multimeter set to 200 Ohm, reads 11.3

1 minute ago, Forkinhades said:

The resistance of an 1.5mm cable (inner core) is 12milliohms per metre. Your reading is high because of your braid.

I just found this on a pdf about POEoC, not sure if this is related,

Typically, regular resistance of RG6 is 13
/100m
Typically, regular resistance of RG59 is 17
/100m
Typically, regular resistance of RG11 is 4.9
/100m

6 minutes ago, Forkinhades said:

More important is that the core and braid are 'clear' with 50 volts applied. I doubt if you have the equipment to do that. So just use your higest setting on your ohm meter

What would be my highest setting ?

Would that be 200K Ohm or 20M Ohm or 200 Ohm

And do I measure that in the same way?

Archived