Beyond geckos

Brunolem

I don't have an obsession with animals, but while I am at it, I would like to go beyond my previous thread about geckos and raise attention on the fate of some other local species.

Those of you who live countryside have probably noticed how fast some species are disapearing, and how quickly the space they left in the food chain is filled.

I am not talking about here about animals which have been decimated by the locals, looking for food, such as snakes, birds or even rats, but about other, non-edible, species.

Frogs, not the ugly toads, are nowhere to be seen...not that there were much 10 or 15 years ago to begin with.

Big spiders, that used to make giant webs in the mango trees for example, have all but disappeared.

Butterflies, small and big, also disappeared.

Fireflies...I can count 2 of them some nights...

Meanwhile, obviously more resistant species are proliferating.

Ants of all kinds and sizes are everywhere, and they are aggressive...I have to wear socks to work in the garden!

Small spiders are also busy, especially inside the house, where a cleaning team, working 24/7, would be needed to remove the webs they leave everywhere.

Now, one can wonder if all these changes in the (small) animal world have anything to do with the fact that the local rice was rated #1 for its poison content.

Have some of you noticed the same phenomenum?

Bird life is non-existent. It is all invasive Myna birds and that is about it. They drive out about any other kind of bird there is. The forests of SE Asia have become bereft of any wild life at all. The forests are eerily quiet. 

At least in the areas I have visited. I am speaking mostly about where I lived in Laos but assume it is similar here in Thailand. One thing I noticed is the island where I lived had a few more birds coming back in the past few years. I think when they got electricity, TV and the internet kids don't go out and kill things as much. Now the have cell phones instead of sling shots. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_myna#Invasive_species

I agree. In the past years I have noticed that the bird life is decreasing with a lot of other species of animals.Since the alien workers have come into Thailand it has got worse with them hunting to save money. I just come back from Lao thinking to do some bird watching the only thing I saw in 4 day's was a couple of sparrows.

When I first came to Thailand on holiday I was astounded by the varieties of wildlife. Butterflies and moths of all colours and sizes, frogs and toads in abundance, quite a lot of snakes about, beautiful exotic birds, squirrels everywhere where there were trees and overhead cables, lizards large and small, large Asian wild cats and bats during the night.

Now all these critters have become a rare site. Are there any organisations monitoring Thailand`s wildlife?