Yangon Visa Run

• 1 month later...

I am considering visiting Yangon for a SETV as well.  I usually go to Vientiane, but would like to see Yangon for a few days instead.  

Based on the above comments, it sounds like the process in Yangon is not any more difficult than it is in Vientiane. 

Apart from having to show an airplane ticket for departure from Thailand within 60 days, there are no other unusual requirements, correct?  

I want to see Yangon, so I would like to go, but will not if the process is materially more difficult than it is in Vientiane.  Any advice or recent experiences would be appreciated!

Edited by Soneva

It is actually better than Vientiene mainly because it is usually never crowded and the staff who work there are very nice and helpful. My last run to Vientiene was a pain in that I had to wait almost 3 hours to collect my passport whereas in Yangon you can pick up right at 1:30 without waiting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  It sounds like I should definitely try it for my next trip, as I have something to do in Vientiane anyway on my upcoming trip. 

Regarding the the actual visa process, is it as simple and straightforward as it is in Vientiane?  Costs are not a concern, but I do not want to deal with any embassies or consulates that ask a lot of questions or scrutinize people's past entries.  I have absolutely nothing to hide, but just don't want to have to deal with anything like that.   

I ask because friends have told me that certain embassies and consulates, such as Hong Kong, have asked for a lot of information during the application process...

Is it true that I need to show the consulate an airline ticket for a flight out of Thailand when I apply for the SETV?

6 hours ago, Soneva said:

Thanks for the replies.  It sounds like I should definitely try it for my next trip, as I have something to do in Vientiane anyway on my upcoming trip. 

Regarding the the actual visa process, is it as simple and straightforward as it is in Vientiane?  Costs are not a concern, but I do not want to deal with any embassies or consulates that ask a lot of questions or scrutinize people's past entries.  I have absolutely nothing to hide, but just don't want to have to deal with anything like that.   

I ask because friends have told me that certain embassies and consulates, such as Hong Kong, have asked for a lot of information during the application process...

Is it true that I need to show the consulate an airline ticket for a flight out of Thailand when I apply for the SETV?

For me (UK passport holder) Yangon has been painless. Having said that, when I used Hong Kong about six months ago, that was super painless also (they did not even ask for onward flight reservations). Perhaps, there were special circumstances surrounding your friend's experiences in Hong Kong, or maybe the rules there have changed.

For me (UK passport holder) Yangon has been painless. Having said that, when I used Hong Kong about six months ago, that was super painless also (they did not even ask for onward flight reservations). Perhaps, there were special circumstances surrounding your friend's experiences in Hong Kong, or maybe the rules there have changed.

Thanks so much for your help, BritTim. I think the problem is that I read too many things online, such as on this forum, and tend to worry about the possibility of complications with visas.

I do everything above the table and have nothing to hide. I am not working in Thailand, and have documentation of my foreign sourced income. I never even overstay a SETV by a single day. So, I suspect that it is unlikely that I will encounter any problems. As you say, the problems that some people experience are likely due to special circumstances, e.g. a history of visa violations such as overstaying, border hopping on land boarders, or if a person is suspected of illegally working on a tourist visa. And none of that applies to me, so I guess I san stop worrying.

I am really looking forward to seeing Yangon. Will fly in and enjoy a tour of the city and its famous pagodas and other attractions. I always enjoy visa runs actually, because I turn them into short vacations.

Thanks again and best Regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes they do say it takes a few days for the Myanmar e-visa so I would do it in advance next time as well, however my last experience with the Myanmar e-visa was, payment was confirmed at 2:30 pm on a Friday and the e-mail containing the visa was received 20 minutes later, at 2:50 pm.

In reference to the Thai consulate, did not experience anything other than what has already been reviewed, apart from a guy that they asked to write down an itinerary and sign it, not sure why, maybe he was missing the exit ticket or something.

Other than that the consulate is ok, girls at the counter helpful, although the place itself (Yangon) is not really my cup of tea.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Yes they do say it takes a few days for the Myanmar e-visa so I would do it in advance next time as well, however my last experience with the Myanmar e-visa was, payment was confirmed at 2:30 pm on a Friday and the e-mail containing the visa was received 20 minutes later, at 2:50 pm.

In reference to the Thai consulate, did not experience anything other than what has already been reviewed, apart from a guy that they asked to write down an itinerary and sign it, not sure why, maybe he was missing the exit ticket or something.

Other than that the consulate is ok, girls at the counter helpful, although the place itself (Yangon) is not really my cup of tea.

Thanks very much for the information:)

Were you asked to show an airline ticked for departure from Thailand within the visa validity period?

I travel on fully flexible and refundable tickets with Thai Airways, but still it is a pain to have to book so far in advance. And if a ticket has to be reissued in case I change my plans of where to go next, that does cost a bit of money. So, if possible I would like to avoid that.

Would showing them only my flight itinerary TO Thailand, and explaining that I intend to purchase an onward ticket at a later date perhaps be sufficient?

11 minutes ago, Soneva said:

Thanks very much for the information:)

Were you asked to show an airline ticked for departure from Thailand within the visa validity period?

I travel on fully flexible and refundable tickets with Thai Airways, but still it is a pain to have to book so far in advance. And if a ticket has to be reissued in case I change my plans of where to go next, that does cost a bit of money. So, if possible I would like to avoid that.

Would showing them only my flight itinerary TO Thailand, and explaining that I intend to purchase an onward ticket at a later date perhaps be sufficient?

I always prepare exit tickets for these embassies/consulates even if not required.

Ways to get these tickets have been discussed in other threads. They range from cheap exit tickets where you claim and get refunded the airport tax (Air Asia), or in the cases of frequent travellers that still keep old pdfs i in their inboxes,  Adobe Acrobat has some interesting features.

To answer your question, an exit ticket is required for Yangon Embassy. You could try your luck without one and maybe an itinerary or a bank statement, but i would not overcomplicate it.

As a frequent user of SETVs, I always carry a bank statement just in case as a backup wherever i apply, although Yangon does not require one.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

I always prepare exit tickets for these embassies/consulates even if not required.

Ways to get these tickets have been discussed in other threads. They range from cheap exit tickets where you claim and get refunded the airport tax (Air Asia), or in the cases of frequent travellers that still keep old pdfs i in their inboxes,  Adobe Acrobat has some interesting features.

To answer your question, an exit ticket is required for Yangon Embassy. You could try your luck without one and maybe an itinerary or a bank statement, but i would not overcomplicate it.

As a frequent user of SETVs, I always carry a bank statement just in case as a backup wherever i apply, although Yangon does not require one.

That's annoying that they require that.

I am sure Adobe Acrobat can come in handy[emoji6]

However even that is too much trouble as I am not computer Savvy. I'll just by my next ticket as usual (TG business class) for Vientiane (the fares are lower than to any other destination). From there the dates/times are fully changeable, and any re routing would result in a fare increase as opposed to a decrease.

Knowing TG, it is much more likely that they will easily accept MORE money to re-route, without any penalties. On the other hand, if changing from Yangon (slightly more expensive) to VTE (cheaper), there would likely be no refund at all due to the re-issue fee.

I will actually use the ticket for my next trip, so it's not worth the effort/risk to try any tricks..

12 minutes ago, Soneva said:

That's annoying that they require that.

I am sure Adobe Acrobat can come in handyemoji6.png

However even that is too much trouble as I am not computer Savvy. I'll just by my next ticket as usual (TG business class) for Vientiane (the fares are lower than to any other destination). From there the dates/times are fully changeable, and any re routing would result in a fare increase as opposed to a decrease.

Knowing TG, it is much more likely that they will easily accept MORE money to re-route, without any penalties. On the other hand, if changing from Yangon (slightly more expensive) to VTE (cheaper), there would likely be no refund at all due to the re-issue fee.

I will actually use the ticket for my next trip, so it's not worth the effort/risk to try any tricks..

Cheapest is to book an Air Asia and claim the airport tax. I did that once and got back from Air Asia about 700 baht out of 1500, but that was on a flight i had to lose because I delayed my departure for different reasons, and to change the date Air Asia would charge more than buying a fresh Lion Air ticket (which i ended up doing).

The loss I think was 800 baht. With prior planning, this loss can be reduced to 500 baht or so I reckon.

That is the cheapest above the board solution (for cancellation). All regional business class tickets had cancellation fees in the region of 2,000 - 3,000 baht last time I checked. Things may have changed though I am not sure.

Rerouting I'm not sure they do, changing dates for free on fully flexible tickets (economy or business) you'd have to check the fare rules of whatever it is you're booking.

Edited by lkv

Cheapest is to book an Air Asia and claim the airport tax. I did that once and got back from Air Asia about 700 baht out of 1500, but that was on a flight i had to lose because I delayed my departure for different reasons, and to change the date Air Asia would charge more than buying a fresh Lion Air ticket (which i ended up doing).

The loss I think was 800 baht. With prior planning, this loss can be reduced to 500 baht or so I reckon.

That is the cheapest above the board solution (for cancellation). All regional business class tickets had cancellation fees in the region of 2,000 - 3,000 baht last time I checked. Things may have changed though I am not sure.

Rerouting I'm not sure they do, changing dates for free on fully flexible tickets (economy or business) you'd have to check the fare rules of whatever it is you're booking.

Thanks. I definitely will be flying TG business, the only problem here is that I actually can't decide if I want to book Yangon again or Vientiane for the subsequent trip, since that decision depends on whether or not Yangon is a good experience and the process works well...

One thought that has occurred to me is that like some other airlines TG may have some kind of 24 or 48 hour policy to allow for changes to tickets shortly after booking. If I literally booked the ticket before leaving the hotel on the way to the consulate, perhaps I could make a change to that ticket shortly thereafter with a waived reissue fee.

In my experience, airlines sometimes waive reissue fees when the change results in a fare increase. In the case of a refund of a fare difference, the reissue fee has always been imposed (thereby reducing the refunded amount).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 2:09 AM, lkv said:

Nope. Cheapest is to book a Thai Airways ticket, making sure the planned date of entry is at least 7 days after you book (if sooner than this you will need to make payment immediately) and check the "pay later" option. You won't be asked to make any payment and the system will automatically cancel the booking within 72 hours if payment is not received by then. This is a good option if you plan to leave by land but need a flight ticket to get the visa.

Thai Airways is one of the few airlines that allows this. Many others charge US$25 or Euro or similar to "hold" your booking.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/33445-Tourist-Visa.html

Hi Everyone, so the official website (above) I believe states very clearly what are the requirements for a 60-day SETV from yangoon. 

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with what seems like the NEW requirements if you have many entries in your passport.? ...I say new because there hasn't been any mention of this requirement for many entries in these threads.

Thanks for any updates... 

_20180318_073443.JPG

21 minutes ago, wrazoru said:

Hi Everyone, so the official website (above) I believe states very clearly what are the requirements for a 60-day SETV from yangoon. 

You have an answer to the same question you asked here.