Yellow Book Question

junglechef

I've recently married a Thai national who has a Blue Book.

My local Tesseban, San Sai, is asking for "the paperwork" (translated) from immigration to issue me a yellow book.

Any idea what paperwork they need?

I assume it might perhaps be Certificate of Residency  :sleep: , any thoughts?

Also they asked for a one inch (1") photo of your truly, first that sounds quite small and secondly I thought they used the metric system officially here. What you say?

I cannot remember,if I gave them Certificate of Residency,as it is quite a while 

ago now,but I think you will need it to prove where you reside ,other paperwork

copies of your passport,you will also need 2 witnesses ,that know you,cannot

remember my wife having to supply photo,just used her ID card and blue book, 

1' photo is very small,at the time I did mine,other people were reporting that some

offices where making it difficult to obtain a yellow book,but Sansai,was easy.BUT

things can change.

Congratulations on your recent marriage.  

regards worgeordie

54 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I cannot remember,if I gave them Certificate of Residency,as it is quite a while 

ago now,but I think you will need it to prove where you reside ,other paperwork

copies of your passport,you will also need 2 witnesses ,that know you,cannot

remember my wife having to supply photo,just used her ID card and blue book, 

1' photo is very small,at the time I did mine,other people were reporting that some

offices where making it difficult to obtain a yellow book,but Sansai,was easy.BUT

things can change.

Congratulations on your recent marriage.  

regards worgeordie

Thanks, made it to my mid-50's being single so guess only so long I could dodge the bullet :) 

To be clear meant "yours truly", was referring to me. 

Edited by junglechef

I'm in nearby Sanphisua and recently acquired my yellow book. The process was a tremendous hassle, I sometimes think they deliberately make it difficult just for a laugh.

Apart from the items mentioned above, they required a Thai property owner from my moobaan to come to their office to witness that I do in fact live there. In my moobaan there's mainly elderly Thais, holiday residents, full-time workers, or tenants. It's one of the plusses of this moobaan that there's lots of land and trees between most of the houses so no one here really has to see or interact with anyone if they don't want to - so none of the people here are particularly friendly to one other, and certainly not to us, as I found out. There was a great reluctance by several of our nearest neighbors to sign anything for a foreigner because they told us they had seen in the news how foreigners are drug dealers, drunks, criminals, etc and they didn't want to take the risk of being associated with that. Sigh. So after weeks of going door to door and literally begging complete strangers, we got who we had always thought was the grumpiest old lady in the entire moobaan to come in (twice) to the district office to sign documents.

I also had to get my passport officially translated and a certificate of residence from immigration, which was relatively easy. The photo, I think was a bit larger like maybe 1x2" and had a blue background, not white. They can show you an example during one of your visits to the district office. All told, I think my wife and I visited the office 12~14 times, each time they'd knock us back asking for something else, before we finally got the yellow book. Now that I have it, I've never found any use for it. Best of luck!

I agree that some amphur staff make it difficult for farangs to get yellow books.

In my case wife and i walked into amphur here in Banphai, asked for yellow book.

Asked for copy wifes blue book, copy marriage cert, copy of my passport, names of mother/father translated into Thai, which my wife did for them, walked out 25 minutes later with my yellow book.

Yes before some of you jump on me and say !!you said you walked out !! this was 2 months before my accident.

Getting the yellow book in Padaet was pretty easy. Showed up with my two witnesses and documents. A very friendly young man spent about a half hour interviewing everyone and filling out forms. Told me it would take a week to get the yellow book but called two days later and said it was ready.

I got it in Sansai maybe 5 years ago .It was easy enough .Yes had to have 2 witnesses ,which was no problem as my wife being a hairdresser locally knew many people .They do ask strange questions like the name of your father and mother and their dates of birth and your mothers maiden name .

For Sansai District

Fairly easy to obtain both my wife and I are on our yellow house book we both come from the uk 

You will need.

-copy of.... and original passport

-translation of passport to Thai 

-chanote and copy of it

-blue book and copy 

-residency letter from imigration

-3 photographs

-And one wittness with ID and a copy of it (to state that you are residing at this address)

- Application form 

All the above to be countersigned by the local village head with a copy of his ID

I had forgotten about the requirement for info about my parents. Fortunately I was forewarned on that and just looked up how to spell their first names in Thai on a website. Only their first names and nationalities appear on page 2 of my yellow book. Possibly the other info about my parents was entered on a form and/or in their database.

Seems each Amphur has different requirement ,nothing new in this ,Immigation is the same,province to province.

Surely its best to go to the office and request an exact list of what you need,save yourself a lot of time and hassle.

Names of your parents is out of left field.My parents have been deceased for 15+ plus no one could tell me why this was a requirement but I was prepared

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Seems each Amphur has different requirement ,nothing new in this ,Immigation is the same,province to province.

Surely its best to go to the office and request an exact list of what you need,save yourself a lot of time and hassle.

Names of your parents is out of left field.My parents have been deceased for 15+ plus no one could tell me why this was a requirement but I was prepared

My guess: the names of parents helps to further identify a person, especially someone that may have a name which many others may have.  I have seen this used in many different areas throughout my life.  Even if a person's parents are deceased, their parents' names would help to further identify that person.

Maybe it helps to understand if you know what is entered in the YB.

One important difference might be: married (registered in Thailand) or not.

With the marriage docs part of the work is done (your name in Thai script).

Depending on your home country a translation of the birth certificate will supply the data for your parents.

In my case a simple translation from a local translator was enough.

I had to have the passport translated anyway (though married). Point the translator to marriage docs to make sure the name transcription is identical (important).

Some district office are driving people nuts by requiring a "notarization" by your embassy and the Thai MFA.

12 hours ago, clokwise said:

I'm in nearby Sanphisua and recently acquired my yellow book. The process was a tremendous hassle, I sometimes think they deliberately make it difficult just for a laugh.

All told, I think my wife and I visited the office 12~14 times, each time they'd knock us back asking for something else, before we finally got the yellow book. Now that I have it, I've never found any use for it. Best of luck!

Although I haven't applied for a Yellow Book, I had to go to Amphur Sansai to legitimize my child a few years back. It also took at least 12-14 visits (over a 2-3 year period of time) to accomplish this task. The woman who does these things, as I understand it, is just below in rank to the Administrator - big boss or whatever the title is. She is on a huge power trip. She also is an expert in translating English to Thai and must have sent me back 3 or possibly 4 times to change the translation of documents where she found mistakes. The certified translator agreed that she was indeed very good. It was a pain. Years later, we never were successful at registering a marriage there. She was never satisfied with the documents, translation, you name it. We gave up there. Good luck at Amphur Sansai!

I bought my Condo in 2003.

A couple of years later the manager of Condo advised me to take my 'House Paper' to the Amphur a where I could then obtain a Book which was 'New' way of saying I owned my Condo.

I did this taking my passport and house paper, a thai girl came along with me. After a couple of hours I left the Amphur (by 3 Kings Monument) with my new Yellow Book and also a Blue Book.

Last year the Yellow Book along with my UK Passport obtained for me a "Thai ID Card' in a 20min visit.

john

13 hours ago, hml367 said:

My guess: the names of parents helps to further identify a person, especially someone that may have a name which many others may have.  I have seen this used in many different areas throughout my life.  Even if a person's parents are deceased, their parents' names would help to further identify that person.

Maybe so but if only if all my ID, passport ,birth certificates, parents and me,driving licence,Thai ID card ,yellow book ,bank books,utility bills etc were obliterated.

I prepared many years ago a small, A4 ,plastic carry box which has all this sort of info in it even photos of my parents burial placques.Plus of course photos with different colour background for Immigration :sad: Bit over the top but everything is in a safe place with copies in another place..

The yellow book is really useful would advise all that can to get one ,avoids that Residence Certificate donation. Unless you move of course.

18 hours ago, elektrified said:

Although I haven't applied for a Yellow Book, I had to go to Amphur Sansai to legitimize my child a few years back. It also took at least 12-14 visits (over a 2-3 year period of time) to accomplish this task. The woman who does these things, as I understand it, is just below in rank to the Administrator - big boss or whatever the title is. She is on a huge power trip. She also is an expert in translating English to Thai and must have sent me back 3 or possibly 4 times to change the translation of documents where she found mistakes. The certified translator agreed that she was indeed very good. It was a pain. Years later, we never were successful at registering a marriage there. She was never satisfied with the documents, translation, you name it. We gave up there. Good luck at Amphur Sansai!

We also did paperwork for my child at Amphur San Sai , not sure if it was for the same as yours, I was making me his legal father.

Went once to find out what to do, went back the second, and last time, to did it.

Also did our marriage registration there, same deal, once to find out what they wanted, another with those documents to do it.

Thanks for wishing me good luck, hope mine holds out for the third time.

On ‎02‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 8:47 AM, clokwise said:

Apart from the items mentioned above, they required a Thai property owner from my moobaan to come to their office to witness that I do in fact live there. In my moobaan there's mainly elderly Thais, holiday residents, full-time workers, or tenants. It's one of the plusses of this moobaan that there's lots of land and trees between most of the houses so no one here really has to see or interact with anyone if they don't want to - so none of the people here are particularly friendly to one other, and certainly not to us, as I found out. There was a great reluctance by several of our nearest neighbors to sign anything for a foreigner because they told us they had seen in the news how foreigners are drug dealers, drunks, criminals, etc and they didn't want to take the risk of being associated with that. Sigh. So after weeks of going door to door and literally begging complete strangers, we got who we had always thought was the grumpiest old lady in the entire moobaan to come in (twice) to the district office to sign documents.

I also had to get my passport officially translated and a certificate of residence from immigration, which was relatively easy. The photo, I think was a bit larger like maybe 1x2" and had a blue background, not white. They can show you an example during one of your visits to the district office. All told, I think my wife and I visited the office 12~14 times, each time they'd knock us back asking for something else, before we finally got the yellow book. Now that I have it, I've never found any use for it. Best of luck!

Depends where you apply.

In Lamphun my wife came with me and I got one no problem. No need for translated pp or anything like that.

Sounds like some places hate farangs. That seems to be in many places, which is why I'm not planning on staying in Thailand more than holidays in future. Too many stupid demands now.

The yellow book is good for proof of residence when extending an entry.

Update:

Had the wifey call the Tesseban to ask them what I did here in my OP.

They said the Immigration paperwork was the TM-7

Again I'm assuming that is Certificate of Residency, I'll check when I do my 90 Day report on Monday.

Also said the pic. can be 1" or 2"

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends where you apply.

In Lamphun my wife came with me and I got one no problem. No need for translated pp or anything like that.

Sounds like some places hate farangs. That seems to be in many places, which is why I'm not planning on staying in Thailand more than holidays in future. Too many stupid demands now.

The yellow book is good for proof of residence when extending an entry.

>>In Lamphun my wife came with me and I got one no problem. <<

>>Sounds like some places hate farangs.  which is why I'm not planning on staying in Thailand more than holidays in future. <<

Your full of contradictions .No matter where you go ,you will not be able to run away from yourself ,even back in Blighty  .lol

My yellow book process was a pretty fast. Took my passport and 2 copies of it, 2 passport size pics, the blue book, a few forms my wife filled out beforehand, a copy of our US Marriage certificate and signed letter from the Grand Pubah of our Mooban who I know. We went to municipal building and about 30 minutes later I left with a Yellow book. 

Pretty painless

So the Tessebun asked for the TM-7 form which is the "APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM".

Would this be my visa?

They did not ask for Certificate of Residency.

Does this sound right? (I know loaded question)

Thanks, JC

Edited by junglechef

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, anto said:

>>In Lamphun my wife came with me and I got one no problem. <<

>>Sounds like some places hate farangs.  which is why I'm not planning on staying in Thailand more than holidays in future. <<

Your full of contradictions .No matter where you go ,you will not be able to run away from yourself ,even back in Blighty  .lol

You are a brave man to psycho analyse someone based on a post on an anonymous forum.

I was in the health industry for over 2 decades, and I wouldn't do that.

BTW, I don't live in the UK. At the moment I'm living in LOS.