Chiang Mai workshop discusses road to Health City status

webfact

Chiang Mai workshop discusses road to Health City status

By Nisanart Kangwanwong
The Nation

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai province joined with North-Chiang Mai University (NCU) and the Bayern International (BI) under Germany’s Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs and Media, Energy and Technology in hosting a workshop on Friday to discuss ways to achieve the goal of “Smart Chiang Mai – Health City”.

Experts and officials from related agencies gathered at Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel to mull over how to add value to what the city already boasts, such as food, tourism, hospitals, nursing homes and business establishments for elderly customers, and how to apply the innovation-driven 4.0 Technology to it.

Chiang Mai deputy governor Manas Khansai who presided over the event said Chiang Mai City, with its high potential, has a transportation system that facilitated transport of food and medicine materials, many tourist attractions suitable for visitors recovering from illness and large medical facilities. It is also deemed well-equipped to support the ageing society people’s lifestyle, he said, so this brainstorming session aimed to create cooperation to develop Chiang Mai City as the Health City.

As the state of Bavaria has been successful in applying the 4.0 Technology to add value to resources such as agriculture, tourism, and wellness destinations, Bayern International would help the efforts to propel the plan forward by providing advice on related matters, said NCU president Narong Chavasin.

German Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai, Hagen Dirksen, said Germany was willing to partake in the development of this northern city toward Health City status for people’s better quality of life and add value to what the city already has to offer. 

The event would discuss ways to develop tourism, food, 4.0 Technology-driven hospitals, as well as the setting up of nursery homes and business places that catered to retirees and the elderly.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317040

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-02

And get up at zero dark stupid to wait in the queue swatting mosquitoes outside CM Immigration.  How healthy is that?

It never ceases to amaze me that various Thai gov't and non-gov't agencies have money for these endless seminars at fancy hotels where they "brainstorm", i.e. have officials drone on in about how they can "improve" CM to attract more elderly foreigners, when the shortcomings are already well known.  

Why not use the money they spend for these seminars to fix the most obvious reasons elderly people don't want to visit or relocate to Chiang Mai.  Two of the top reasons have been mentioned in this thread.  The insane traffic and lack of walkability are other well-known problems.

Agree with all comments above but retirees are still coming in droves. Many positive articles written on "Retiring in Chiang Mai" world wide maybe driving this and the prices some new arrivals are paying for rent in our village are insane.

Add the factor that Brits with Brexit , obscene cost of living now in Australia,political turmoil in the US all influence people looking for alternatives.

As we know the grass is not always greener......I can't remember a seminar that has produced positive results.They have had them on out of control burning / air quality ,Immigration,Greening Chiang Mai ,the list goes on.

17 hours ago, NancyL said:

And get up at zero dark stupid to wait in the queue swatting mosquitoes outside CM Immigration.  How healthy is that?

It never ceases to amaze me that various Thai gov't and non-gov't agencies have money for these endless seminars at fancy hotels where they "brainstorm", i.e. have officials drone on in about how they can "improve" CM to attract more elderly foreigners, when the shortcomings are already well known.  

Why not use the money they spend for these seminars to fix the most obvious reasons elderly people don't want to visit or relocate to Chiang Mai.  Two of the top reasons have been mentioned in this thread.  The insane traffic and lack of walkability are other well-known problems.

Totally agree with all you say especially the Immigration office sadly.

My Thai wife & I moved to CM about 8 yrs ago now as her son was at uni there & she loved the culture & people there.

Sadly the air pollution & traffic drove us away after 3 yrs .