Want To Spend 6 Months Straight In Thailand

Message Options Subscribe to Thread E-mail Thread Print Thread How to spend 6 months in a row with the new visa regulations? Am I correct in thinking I can get a tourist visa for 2 months, extend the tourist visa for an extra month, and then use my maximum 3 border crossings (a month each)--and get my 6 months that way? Or simply get 2 consecutive tourist visa + extensionss, by leaving the country after the first expires, and going up to Phenom Pen to the Thai embassy for another tourist visa/extension? People have told me this can't be done, so I thought I'd ask.

although PP may not be the best choice for the second tourist visa (and if you get the first there I am sure you will not get another).

why when you visit a THAI consulate/embassy does it matter what country you are in. i would think it matters most that you are going to a THAI consulate & that basically the same services/options are available to anyone at any THAI consulate regardless of location.

i know this is not the case but it begs the question why? i think if i go to my country's embassy/consolute wherever i am i would get the same service/options available anywhere else. perhaps i would not get the same services/options from my country's embassy/consulate in different countries even if i expect i would. am i being short-sighted or naive thinking so!?

hmm I wonder whether it is possible to make following: go cambodia 2 times and then make tourist visa 1 entry = 5 month and then another cambodia run

tec, this shouldn't be a problem from what i understand.... however there is much that remains hazy for me regarding thailand visa process.

i think even after 3 border run stamps you can apply for a tourist visa (90 days i think i read they were stamped for now) & once expired you could do 3 more 30 day border run stamps followed by applying for another tourist visa... sounds almost indefinate if you use different countries with thai embassies in which to apply for the tourist visas.

btw, any idea when embassies/consulates would issue another tourist visa with regards to one issued previously at the same location?

Edited by chokdeekrap

Boy I watch these threads go on an on.......What part of 90 days in 6 months do you not understand. Rules change, and I'm sure they will change again....

If you want to stay for 6 months, get a non-immigrant visa. Even than you will have to make a border run at 90 days. If you are here on a retirement visa, or another type of O visa, and have a 1 year extension, then you can just mail in your 90 day report without leaving.

What's wrong with PP? Would Vientienne be better? (I certainly don't want to have to fly back to the US to get another 3 months).

Both options should work; although PP may not be the best choice for the second tourist visa (and if you get the first there I am sure you will not get another).

I really dont understand how any thai embassy or consulate will issue back to back tourist visa's. Isn't that contrary to the new regulations? I realize the policy is unfair,but it's 90 days within 180. Isn't it?

Are people assuming the consulates in home countries can't count? Or am I missing something?

Edited by pumpuiman

Boy I watch these threads go on an on.......What part of 90 days in 6 months do you not understand. Rules change, and I'm sure they will change again....

If you want to stay for 6 months, get a non-immigrant visa. Even than you will have to make a border run at 90 days. If you are here on a retirement visa, or another type of O visa, and have a 1 year extension, then you can just mail in your 90 day report without leaving.

The 90 in 180 days only applies to visa exempt entries. If the OP is still in home country, he should get a 3 entry tourist visa. With 2 entry stamp runs to border, he can stay 6 months (3x60=180). He can do it on 1 border run if he gets the 30 day extension each time (60+30 x2 =180).

TH