Knock out drug for first dog transport?

Hi there

We have a fairly large dog to deal with who is adorable and affectionate, but who can bite a hand from a stranger if it comes to him quickly and who has become territorial and has attacked other dogs a couple of times. This is a rare occurrence but he needs moving.

The first step is for him to be neutered, and he will soon need moving anyway from the communal place he has stayed the last couple of years.......with the idea of finding the right owner..

He eats politely, walks out well, seems OK with cats, and would be an ideal loving companion and guard dog for someone with a walled residence.

Anyway as far as I know he's never been in a car and I'm wondering if we can manage to get him in one.....I think a problem first time at least.

Anyone know anything about a knockout drug so he could just be carried to the car and into see the vet or wherever?

Is it a good idea?

Thanks!

(and if anyone knows a home please say :))

Anaesthetising any animal includes a risk of death.  Should not be done unless strictly necessary.

Have you tried getting him in a car? Tempting him with his favourite toy or treat? You may be worrying unnecessarily.

Take it in small steps.  First get him into the car with the engine off.  Then progress to with the engine on.  Then to taking him on very short rides - preferably to somewhere he can get out and have fun.  Soon he'll love getting into the car.

(Some dogs love looking out of the window, so do try winding the window down a bit so he can poke his nose out.)

On 6/4/2017 at 8:20 PM, Oxx said:

Anaesthetising any animal includes a risk of death.  Should not be done unless strictly necessary.

Have you tried getting him in a car? Tempting him with his favourite toy or treat? You may be worrying unnecessarily.

Take it in small steps.  First get him into the car with the engine off.  Then progress to with the engine on.  Then to taking him on very short rides - preferably to somewhere he can get out and have fun.  Soon he'll love getting into the car.

(Some dogs love looking out of the window, so do try winding the window down a bit so he can poke his nose out.)

Sound advice Oxx. When we got our German Shepherd last year as a 2 month old pup, it was easy to carry him into the car. On his very first journey to his new home he would just sit/lie and not move as if he was traumatized. First trip to the vets exactly the same, sort of froze up.

So we did some training just as you described in your post above and he now has no problems. Training didn't take long, but not just jammed into one afternoon. Also agree with your advice on knocking animals out. If it is absolutely necessary then it should be done by a qualified vet; too many variables between dosage and body weight.

Thanks for your thoughts Oxx and Chris

I'm sure they are valid.

I guess my problems lack of time ......someone is being so kind as to help me with this....he does a lot to help dogs and has befriended the dog in question, I wanted to think if I couldn't tempt the dog in safely with a treat or something there is a backup like a knockout drug to be sure we can get the job done as I believe his life is at risk if it's not dealt with in a timely manner. I guess half e problem is I don't have enough minutes in the day.

Still, I shall try and fit in a first try at tempting him in the car.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Hi cheeryble, sorry to hear it has got to the stage where you are looking for a new home for him. That said however, I think you are doing the right thing by reaching out to see if someone can take him.

Sincerely, good luck.

Hi cheeryble, sorry to hear it has got to the stage where you are looking for a new home for him. That said however, I think you are doing the right thing by reaching out to see if someone can take him.

Sincerely, good luck.

Thanks v much Chris
Ps the guy from CareforDogs agreed entirely about no knockout drug

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app