Save the life of a great dog!

cheeryble

There is a wonderful and handsome dog who has a problem.
He will bite defensively if approached fast with a hand by someone who doesn't know him. He generally is very nice with other dogs and cats too, though I think would best be a single dog. To the people he knows he is utterly loving and adorable. Trouble is he has become an addition to a compound of unfenced wooden houses. He needs someone with a garden which is walled or very rural. In return for simple care he would love you to death and be all over you and nearly climb in the car when you come home. I have taken him out with my dog (sadly deceased, in the first pic behind) many many times and he's been as good as gold off the lead......doesn't look for trouble at all.....just shouldn't be allowed to roam free all the time.
He can't stay where he is, and without a proper owner I fear the worst may happen to him. Please could someone consider this dog they will be repaid with affection and cuddles a hundred times over. They will be doing a great kindness my place just isn't suitable....thanks, we all gotta help ourselves and all creatures through this life.

UPDATE: we have sent him to the vet at CareforDogs to get "Fixed" to make him more suitable for adoption. All his shots too.

Poor chap isn't used to the car so the excellent guys from CfD came and he was thoroughly enjoying  sausage from me they whisked him off before ehe knew what was happening.

Prey he can have a happy life somewhere. Good with cats and chickens too and could be a great guard dog.IMG_1600.thumb.jpg.1e23e84f976c0c5b56bf0c4756f58f94.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

A lovely looking dog. With a bit of luck the desexing will calm him down and make him a great pet. Thanks from another dog over for your effort to save this dog.

39 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

So you want to give away a dog that bites people? Good luck with that. 

I think I described the problem about rare defensive biting of people he doesn't know well who approach him fast and close with their hand out honestly, and have clearly said he needs "fixing"......which may alleviate any problem dramatically it did with a previous dog......and really needs an enclosed environment but has never been a problem on walks off the leash. I have also described how lovable he can be and how he will almost climb in the car with happiness at one's return.

Your comment is likely to put people off unnecessarily.

Whilst I and a handful of kind folk have done practical things for two years and are getting him to the vet your post will just lessen his chances at a life. He obviously had some mistreatment when young but we believe is fully retrievable. If you haven't screwed him already.

Edited by cheeryble

If you intend to breed a dog but do not know which breed you can refer to the breed here http://www.watchsdocumentary.com/category/animals/

Thanx for info Cracky but only ever had dogs which somehow walked into my life. Always kept them and they've been wonderful all of them, but now live with wife and family on unwalled land on a very dangerous.....deaths already....fast bend. I can't risk his life or the lives of drivers if he just wanders a bit too far. Paid rent at the old place he lives for a long time after I moved out to keep the feeding station for him and his friend, but have to eventually cut the cord.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

39 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

I think I described the problem about rare defensive biting of people he doesn't know well who approach him fast and close with their hand out honestly, and have clearly said he needs "fixing"......which may alleviate any problem dramatically it did with a previous dog......and really needs an enclosed environment but has never been a problem on walks off the leash. I have also described how lovable he can be and how he will almost climb in the car with happiness at one's return.

Your comment is likely to put people off unnecessarily.

Whilst I and a handful of kind folk have done practical things for two years and are getting him to the vet your post will just lessen his chances at a life. He obviously had some mistreatment when young but we believe is fully retrievable. If you haven't screwed him already.

He has probably been hit over the head when young. With a little patients the defensive biting can be overcome. Castrating is a good step all round. I'd have no compunction in taking this dog if I were in a position to do so.

He has probably been hit over the head when young. With a little patients the defensive biting can be overcome. Castrating is a good step all round. I'd have no compunction in taking this dog if I were in a position to do so.

Thanks Saan

Yes a couple of friends who know about dogs say he can be just fine......even now if strangers are just neutral they have nothing to fear.

When he's on his own patch he can be territorial with dogs but am told the "fixing" will do a lot to help that. Out for walks he's good with other dogs.

Also important, he's definitely not a pest barker.

I've heard him bark but he's mostly quiet.

Would make a good guard though.

Oh...very polite eater.....will wait patiently for food preparation and not pester. .not fussy either.

Neutering a dog does not guarantee that its aggressive behavior will change. It might, it might not. 

A dog that, under any circumstance, may bite a person is not a dog you want to have. Unless you like unexpected lawsuits, injured people and medical bills you are liable for. 

Yes, what I say might put people off, but it should. I am a dog lover and have had dogs my whole life. Dogs that bite even occasionally are accidents waiting to happen. 

I laud your good intention, but I'd advise anyone wanting to get man's best friend to find one that has NO inclination to bite. 

Neutering a dog does not guarantee that its aggressive behavior will change. It might, it might not. 
A dog that, under any circumstance, may bite a person is not a dog you want to have. Unless you like unexpected lawsuits, injured people and medical bills you are liable for. 

Yes, what I say might put people off, but it should. I am a dog lover and have had dogs my whole life. Dogs that bite even occasionally are accidents waiting to happen. 
I laud your good intention, but I'd advise anyone wanting to get man's best friend to find one that has NO inclination to bite. 

Sometimes life doesn't deal us perfect hands.
My wife and I live with grandma because she's 87 and I can't afford to build a wall around 2 rai, so I cannot take him.
As I've said in the right conditions there is absolutely no need for any possibility of a bite.......quite the opposite he will be giving affection and mouthing his owner and close friends' hand affectionately.
Don't know where your dogs came from but this won't be so perfect, it will take a little time and patience. Satisfying to do successfully though.

7 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Hogwash.

I already have dogs otherwise I`d take him myself. I too have kept dogs for most of my adult life. Dogs are like people, they all have different personalities and temperaments. My 2 dogs have different temperaments and over time I have learned their funny little ways and how to treat them. One of my dogs will growl if I go near him when he is eating, so I avoid that situation. My other dog does not like her ears being touched, so again I avoid that situation. Over time the OP dog will get to trust his new owners and his new owners will get to understand him. This is not a no hope situation, all it takes is love and patience.

Start off by giving the dog food treats by hand, letting him come to you with the hand held out. That way the dog will consider the hand as a good thing and not a threat.

Where there`s a will, there`s a way.

Edited by cyberfarang

I think Cherryble is to be commended for trying to find an appropriate home for this dog and for having him neutered, something that probably should have been done long ago.  

We had a dog in the U.S. that could not be trusted around small children.  Oh, she was OK if you were in the same area with her and a child and watched the child to be sure it didn't try to interact with the dog, but there was no way you could leave that dog alone with a child.  The dog simply couldn't handle the unexpected actions of a child and would snap at them.  

She was fine with adults and absolutely loved young adults, older teenagers who were always eating and sneaking her treats.  Our dog looked much like the dog Cherryble is trying to help.

When we moved to Thailand, we engaged in an extensive advertising campaign and found the perfect home for her, with two teenagers and no young children anywhere in the area.  After a "trial week" it was evident she didn't want to return back to life with boring old Hubby and me.  In the house with the teenagers, they let her sleep with the kids, lay about on the furniture and fed her pizza when they had it.  And they went to visit Grandma and Grandpa on their nearby farm (which was much like the farm where we lived, with Grandma and Grandpa probably much like Hubby and me) only Grandma and Grandpa had two golden retrievers who were great playmates.  Way better than her previous life.

Hogwash.

I already have dogs otherwise I`d take him myself. I too have kept dogs for most of my adult life. Dogs are like people, they all have different personalities and temperaments. My 2 dogs have different temperaments and over time I have learned their funny little ways and how to treat them. One of my dogs will growl if I go near him when he is eating, so I avoid that situation. My other dog does not like her ears being touched, so again I avoid that situation. Over time the OP dog will get to trust his new owners and his new owners will get to understand him. This is not a no hope situation, all it takes is love and patience.

Start off by giving the dog food treats by hand, letting him come to you with the hand held out. That way the dog will consider the hand as a good thing and not a threat.

Where there`s a will, there`s a way.

Thanks for that Cyberfarang!

Yes a couple of people who seem experienced say his problem is reversible. One of them who does a great deal to help at a dog rescue and collect money etc has taken a great liking to Scooby, been very helpful, and wanted to take him, but he's up to the eyeballs in dogs already.

• 2 weeks later...

Well!

Scooby has now been snipped and had his injections care of the lovely folks at Car for Dogs.

Fact is though he had an awful week or so there......because he didn't know how to take a leash he had to be netted and freaked out in fear.

On Monday the ever helpful Tony McManus.....author of Down and Out in the Big ?Mango....and I picked him up an hour after he'd had a downer. As soon as he saw us he started wagging in a doped up way. Ian the manager said that's so nice to see. He had lost weight as well as his cajones. This time he took the collar no problem and we got him in the cage no prob too.

Well we took him to Lucky Dogs in Doi Saket.

IMG_2182.JPG.55486a8ad9ebcfdd73176f063631293b.JPG

I'll post more later but in the few days there he's regained his shiny coat, eyes look fresh again, his swollen leg getting better (spider bite?) and boy was he happy to see the grass and trees again.

IMG_2232.JPG.d273e54b1104f7c8099d1561d3efcb82.JPG

Yesterday Gap the manager took a video when I arrived......you can see what a nice boy he is.

He now takes the collar and leash with ease.

He eats very politely

He doesn't pull in the leash

He doesn't bother with other dogs barking near him......shows no interest

He runs free awhile each day and isn't hard to get back, the opposite, he stays close and likes to come back.

I went past his old garden residence last night and the kind couple who were feeding him sometimes said their cat misses him.

Next step: get him ok to travel by car so he can have walks on the hills.

More later but look at his happiness yesterday.

Thanks to all who have helped, Ian and Nut at Care for Dogs,

Nienke and Gap at Lucky Dogs.......and of course Tony.

Nienke is a highly qualified dog behaviorist and has given us a lot of tips which work.

Check yesterday's video

https://youtu.be/PebjPkOkl_0

Edited by cheeryble

13 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

So bloody sad. This dog belongs with a family.

Yes......that's the idea.....

But things are on the up and up.

Sometime he will be introduced to other dog(s) there and have friends and be able to stay outside most of the time.

I hope we can arrange for him to be handled by as many people as possible to adjust his behaviour.

But so far things are looking very good, I purposely play with the leash and collar around his head to accustom him.

If everyone tries to think of a potential home for him sooner or later he'll be a great pet......you can see how affectionate he is in the video eh?

The mere fact he's not a nuisance barker is a real attraction.

Edited by cheeryble

2 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Yes......that's the idea.....

But things are on the up and up.

Sometime he will be introduced to other dog(s) there and have friends and be able to stay outside most of the time.

I hope we can arrange for him to be handled by as many people as possible to adjust his behaviour.

But so far things are looking very good, I purposely play with the leash and collar around his head to accustom him.

If everyone tries to think of a potential home for him sooner or later he'll be a great pet......you can see how affectionate he is in the video eh?

I admire all the efforts you are putting into this. Can`t be easy emotionally, I fully understand, but still sad nevertheless. If only I didn`t have two dogs already, I`d be down there today to pick him up. Unlike me who has lived in CM for several years and will be here permanently, most CM expats don`t consider CM as their base home and either live elsewhere during certain times of the year or only stay temporary. Considering a dog can live for 15 years plus it`s going to be difficult finding a couple or a family to give this dog a permanent home. What would be ideal if there is a retired couple, maybe in their 50s or 60s who have a secure home with plenty of space and will be staying in Chiang Mai for the remainder of their lives. Dogs are no different from children, if being adopted parents need to be found that can accommodate the child with love and a proper environment.

At the moment this dog is probably frightened and confused, not knowing what`s going to happen to him. His future is going to depend on an awful lot of luck, it`s requires some magic to happen and the question is; is there anyone around who can turn the magic into reality and do a good deed that would be the mother of all good deeds?

• 5 months later...