Chinese tourists are swarming Thailand

EricTh

Last night I drove by Tops supermarket in Chang Phuek near Mercure hotel.

Lo and behold, there is a new building near there that caters to mostly Chinese tourists because the sign was in Chinese.

It seems to be a Muay Thai boxing stadium. 

Besides this building was a Chinese restaurant and the next building was where the ladyboy cabaret shows are performed every night. 

I could see several busloads of Chinese tourists.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Lo and behold, there is a new building near there that caters to mostly Chinese tourists because the sign was in Chinese.

errr ummm errr ... new ?

that was open in march last year !

dave2

tops mercure hotel muay thai boxing 7 mar 16 20160307_202229.jpg

Last night I drove by Tops supermarket in Chang Phuek near Mercure hotel.

Besides this building was a Chinese restaurant and the next building was where the ladyboy cabaret shows are performed every night. 

I could see several busloads of Chinese tourists.

Well that's just riveting knowledge. :)  

But yes, Chiang Mai tourism is finally very healthy.     I see it in my wife's bank account every month. 

BTW has anyone visited this place, either the boxing or cabaret show?    Might be interesting to book for Chinese guests.  (The Khantoke Dinner at the Old Cultural Center is also popular.)  Although perhaps not if it's overly massive; I tend to meet more middle class independently travelling tourists from China (and elsewhere), not really group tourers.  (And like any group tour thing, that's usually not very nice for people not on the tour.)

BTW2: The growth in tourism is flattening off.  International tourist arrivals in Chiang Mai are still on the rise, but only very slightly growth compared to the crazy growth of a couple years ago.   Which is probably a good thing because I don't think Chiang Mai could handle sustained growth of 75% year after year.  

(Data from AOT, not TAT, because for some reason Farangs don't trust TAT which is kind of peculiar but that's the way it is, so going with AOT data.  Which doesn't of course capture all international tourists as many arrive on domestic flights or train/bus, but it captures trends for Chinese/Asian tourists very well as most direct international flights into Chiang Mai are from China and other countries in the region.)

34 minutes ago, dave2 said:

errr ummm errr ... new ?

that was open in march last year !

Opened March last year? I passed by there quite often and didn't notice it till last night.

The signs here in the photo are in Thai but was in Chinese last night.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

The thread title really should be " I noticed there were a lot of Chinese tourists at Chang Phuek last night"

What about "I noticed a group of lovely Chinese seniors spitting all the way down Nimman Soi 17 today"?

Could be a catchy title...

44 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

What about "I noticed a group of lovely Chinese seniors spitting all the way down Nimman Soi 17 today"?

Could be a catchy title...

Hmmm.......hoik hoik hurray

Yes there are hordes of Chinese tourists here, but they get dragged around Pattaya Bay under their parachutes, get led to some huge Chinese run restaurant, and then they go back to China and reminisce. The Indian tourists are here to take over, just as they do everywhere else.

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Yes there are hordes of Chinese tourists here, but they get dragged around Pattaya Bay under their parachutes, get led to some huge Chinese run restaurant, and then they go back to China and reminisce. The Indian tourists are here to take over, just as they do everywhere else.

Certainly there are lots of Chinese here with tour groups but there are also growing numbers traveling here on their own.  I'm seeing lots of Chinese couples, families, and young female and male groups of 3 or 4 friends traveling together--very visible in south, central, and north Pattaya.  They're shopping at the nice stores at the malls and eating at the upscale restaurants.  Oh, and they're buying condos, too.  Not exactly zero dollar.

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

Opened March last year? I passed by there quite often and didn't notice it till last night.

oh dear .... it gets worse :(

it was there on 23 feb 16 !

ohh and winni i almost forgot 

6 hours ago, dave2 said:

and sometimes by :)

bike :)

all we need now is them arriving in a .... and weve cracked the lot :)

dave2

muay thai boxing ring by differ club 23 feb 16 20160223_143101.jpg

thaphae gate chinese bikes 12 feb 16 20160212_163340.jpg

bangkok eye ferris wheel from the river 7 apr 16 20160407_110028.jpg

Thank goodness.

Given that they spend about $175 per day in Thailand vs the Europeans who scrape by on $125 per day, Thailand will no doubt benefit from the mix changing away from the low spenders.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

Only 6% of them even have passports, yet they spend more on international tourism than any other country.  At $165 billion, they're about 50% higher than the USA at $112 billion, and almost triple the ever popular Brits at a mere $57 Billion.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tourists-from-these-countries-spend-the-most-when-traveling-abroad-2015-4

http://www.e-unwto.org/doi/pdf/10.18111/9789284416899

Sure, I'm taking the piss.  But they're here already, more of them are coming (up 28% in 2014 alone- the data from the links), and they spend a lot more money than most folks think.

Get used to it.  Or you're really not going to like the next few decades.  Smart folks will be figuring out how to cash in on the trend.  Others will be left behind.

HK Express...the Air Asia of China...have 2 flight to Chiang Rai and 4 flights to Chiang Mai a week from Hong Kong for less than $120 round trip. Air Asia 2 flights CM to HK. Very cheap for Chinesse tourist now. Every flight carring at list 200 passengers. That plus the ones flying from other Chinese cities to Bangkok, and the ones driving from the Chiang Kong border.

If the economy and the prices in China keep growing at this pace... will be better for Thais start looking for Chinesse language classes ASAP.

My 300 baht Phayao Chinesse Pizza is getting popular now....and I  am looking for Chinesse help to my Restaurant.  Opening another one in Chiang Rai soon.

Chinese tourist welcome!

Just now, Muzarella said:

My 300 baht Phayao Chinesse Pizza is getting popular now....and I  am looking for Chinesse help to my Restaurant.  Opening another one in Chiang Rai soon.

Chinese tourist welcome!

Since when do the Chinese go for western food when coming to Thailand?

5 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

It's Arab month next month after Ramanan finishes, lock up your camels. 

Don't laugh. When I was harshly criticized by the college age son of the Afghan Ambassador to the Russia/Soviet Union in 1974 for reading a PLAYBOY magazine as it was against certain "tenets" [trying to be diplomatic], I asked what he then did for relief.

He said "the donkeys." I thought he was kidding. He wasn't.

O please yes there are chinese tourist in town but mostly in the old city. You are a scare monger and really what is there to be afraid of. Please go home if you cannot handle a few chinese tourist

When we were over in Pattaya in Jan/Feb we went to that well known sea-food restaurant on the beachfront at Naklua that used to be thronged by Thais. This time our family seemed to be the only Thai's there. The rest of the 100 + customers were mainland Chinese spending freely. And you know what they were ok , not too rowdy , just enjoying themselves and spending their money. As I said to my wife how does it feel to be in your country the King-Dom of Thailand and be second class citizens to the 'communist' People's Republic of China. Thailand's falling well behind the rest of the world now , stuck in the past , with a military junta p*ssing away their money on useless submarines. 

10 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I had to go back to check that this is the CHIANG MAI forum, and yes it is. I haven't seen any Indians up here, but loads of Chinese getting off buses to go into hotels.

I don't know where they go, but not many on the road going past the Anusorn night market.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Since when do the Chinese go for western food when coming to Thailand?

Since day one. I do well from them, but I suppose having had the sense to translate my menu into Chinese helped. I've told a few fellow bar/restraunt owners that they should translate their menu into Chinese and their response is usually that it isn't worth the effort because they don't get Chinese!!

3 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Since day one. I do well from them, but I suppose having had the sense to translate my menu into Chinese helped. I've told a few fellow bar/restraunt owners that they should translate their menu into Chinese and their response is usually that it isn't worth the effort because they don't get Chinese!!

Ha! Poetic justice for one of your waitresses, assuming she's still there.

Archived