Thai "Topgun" shows US airmen how it's done!

webfact

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

You have to work a lot harder in a glider than you do in a powered aircraft and you need to be far more aware of the outside world too.

Not arguing any of what you say. You may be right. 

But, the heading of the article states. "Thai "Topgun" shows US airmen how it's done!"  

375px-NFWS_TG.jpg

Edited by habanero

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, sanukjim said:

The US Air Force has the best pilots in the world (After the US Navy and Marine Corps of course). This young man's achievement shows that with the proper training and conditioning ( By The US Air Force Academy) a Thai can achieve much.

There were many Blue on Blue shootings in the Gulf war by American pilots so i would definitely not rate them that high.

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

"You have to work a lot harder in a glider than you do in a powered aircraft and you need to be far more aware of the outside world too."
I very much doubt that this is true, especially when it comes to dogfights in fighter jets.
An ex girlfriend, who was a very senior commercial pilot,  owned a Pitts Special. Loved doing aerobatics.
I only had a few hours in a T28 myself, courtesy of Marine Corps ROTC. 

In a powered aircraft if you want to climb then you open the throttle and pull the stick back.

In a glider you need to seek out thermals or ridges and use them which is what I mean about being aware of the outside world.

However as he was in a glider and not any sort of powered aircraft he would not be in any dogfights in a fighter jet so that bit is not relevant.

35 minutes ago, habanero said:

Not arguing any of what you say. You may be right. 

But, the heading of the article states. "Thai "Topgun" shows US airmen how it's done!"  

375px-NFWS_TG.jpg

However the heading of the article has little to do with the content.

However it was written by somebady at the Thai Rath newspaper looking for good news and a good headline. I suppose that one out of two isn't too bad.

Edited by billd766

Yes he might well be issued a medal and good on him. A special release "Top Gun" medal which might just start a medal trend to add to all the other fashion medal trends.
If that happens then we should expect to see all military, air force, navy and police personnel wearing their newly purchased Top Gun medal alongside their parachute wings.

Then Thailand could be The Hub for Medals, I'd guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

In a powered aircraft if you want to climb then you open the throttle and pull the stick back.

In a glider you need to seek out thermals or ridges and use them which is what I mean about being aware of the outside world.

However as he was in a glider and not any sort of powered aircraft he would not be in any dogfights in a fighter jet so that bit is not relevant.

It has everything to do with an article brandishing the term "Top Gun", and several commentators indicated they thought this was the case, that he is a top fighter pilot.
Yes, keeping a sailplane aloft is more of a challenge! :smile:

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

The quality of a fighter pilot is NOT a matter of nationality.

There are good combat pilots worldwide of all nationalities.

I also depends on "luck" when it comes to combat.

In modern combat with laser guided and radar or television  guided  SAMs being in the wrong place at the wrong time is part of that "luck".

Ask any USAF active duty combat fighter  pilot, and they will acknowledge that fact.

And yes, as another poster pointed out passing out in a high G stress situation is a matter for  medical review, and may end an otherwise excellent combat pilot's combat career early.

Being a combat fighter pilot is a "best of the best" high risk situation for those that can handle it physically and mentally.

I can take it from this that you have never had any training as a fighter pilot and probably no pilot training at all.Your opinions on "LUCK" and flying are just that Uneducated opinions.Man I am sure glad the RAF were so "LUCKY" in The Battle Of Britain.

Edited by sanukjim

I wonder where he did practice gliding. The only flying club in Thailand with a glider was near Chiang Mai and every time the pilot did not make it back to the airfield and landed in a rice field he had to file a crash report and he had to wait a few months for the investigation to be finished before he got his plane back.

I would like to practice gliding in Thailand but the officials and Thai law do not understand planes without an engine yet. Near Pattaya I saw delta wings flying but that is not the same sport.

Most dutch fighter pilots started as glider pilots btw. But with about 67 F16's the demand for fighter pilots is not that high in the Netherlands.

This young man is a credit to himself and his country. Sure, the headline is a bit of a misnomer, but that's Journalistic Licence I guess.

I'd make the assumption that he has been attending the USAF Academy under a Foreign Exchange/Aid Program. Concurrent with his studies, he has been involved with gliding activities and done extremely well. Outstanding.

Having passed out from the Academy, he will now progress to the next stage of his career.  Perhaps this will be formalised pilot training, but could be engineering or other disciplines. We do not know the what or where from the article.

13 hours ago, captspectre said:

if the article is "correct" than "Passing out at the academy TWICE will disqualify him from all flying duties unless the "passing" out can be explained, don't need any rebuttals, just look up medical qualifications! I was a flyer so I know of what I speak!

A joke right? very droll.

Passing out is the standard English phrase for finishing your course successfully. 

10 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

There were many Blue on Blue shootings in the Gulf war by American pilots so i would definitely not rate them that high.

I come from the Isle of Man and we used to have a practice bombing range off the coast. To maintain readiness and standards a active front line pilot has to keep up flight hours and competence. Was working there over a few weeks and watched as daily British and US planes would come in on runs and bomb the target . I'm sorry but USA were consistently bad in results. We got to know the spotters and controllers well and they would tell us who was coming in daily and nationality. It was really interesting how out a flight of say 3 fighters one would be consistently on the money. The RAF won hands down as to accuracy !!

Edited by Nigeone

On 6/8/2017 at 7:50 AM, ksamuiguy said:

Congratulations You do "The Kingdom" Proud.

"The Kingdom" need all the heroes they can get, some one for the youth, the citizens of Thailand to emulate and look up to. 

To bad there don't seem to be any heroes left.

"What would John Wayne do"

What would John Wayne do?? That's easy - the candy ass draft dodger would have run for the hills to hide. In his own words, Wayne was a yellow bellied sap sucker. While all of Hollywood were enlisting after Dec. 1946, Wayne did not. A worthless bastard.....

17 minutes ago, bill1369 said:

What would John Wayne do?? That's easy - the candy ass draft dodger would have run for the hills to hide. In his own words, Wayne was a yellow bellied sap sucker. While all of Hollywood were enlisting after Dec. 1946, Wayne did not. A worthless bastard.....

In 1946 Marion Morrison (AKA John Wayne) would have been pushing 40, probably too old to enlist in the services.

Out of interest, Why did "all of Hollywood enlist after December 1946"?

Well done to him... 

How some on here and find something negative in such a topic (or title) says more about the bitterness of those posting negative comments than anything else. 

It also shows how bad journalism can skew content & reactions to it.

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

It also shows how bad journalism can skew content & reactions to it.

Have you been to the international news forums lately?  :smile:

A post in all caps has been removed along with replies.

A post violating Fair Use Policy has also been removed.   You can only quote 3 sentences and then a link.   More than that is against forum rules.  

47 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

I'm still traumatized after watching this movie as an impressionable teenager in 1986. Tom Cruise tried to seduce me to the dark side. I'm glad I resisted and now have a girlfriend:

Oh my God, your post is off-topic, but I do believe you nailed it!!

On 6/8/2017 at 9:55 PM, Flustered said:

A joke right? very droll.

Passing out is the standard English phrase for finishing your course successfully. 

in the rest of the "civilized" world "passing out is becoming unconscious" look it up in the dictionary and google it! AND if an avaitor passes out while on flight duty without an explanation he is grounded! it is called safety of flight.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:15 PM, Bill Miller said:

No. you do not know whereof you speak, and saying you do not need any rebuttals is a very  unlikely result here in TV.  :smile:
 He did not "pass out AT the academy", he passed out FROM the academy. And where did you get "passed out twice"? Not from the article.
From a Wikipedia article:
"Passing out is the completion of a course by military or other service personnel or the graduation from a college."
I think it is a more commonly British expression.
Other guys have been under the misapprehension that the young man won awards as a fighter pilot, aided by the "Top Gun" reference in the article's title. He won awards for aerobatic excellence in a glider. 
Good on him, and a really cool  accomplishment, but that does not translate to a "top gun" fighter pilot rating. He may be good there, too, but not what the article is really about. 

I am speaking AMERICAN english! not bloke!

I have graduated from numerous Military schools (U.S.) but only passed out when i had to much to drink.

On 6/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, captspectre said:

if the article is "correct" than "Passing out at the academy TWICE will disqualify him from all flying duties unless the "passing" out can be explained, don't need any rebuttals, just look up medical qualifications! I was a flyer so I know of what I speak!

Passing out is a common phrase for finishing a military course. You know that now but seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder about Brits.

Your arrogance is what puts a lot of people off Americans, and no- I'm not a Brit.

Edited by Psimbo

On 6/10/2017 at 8:36 AM, captspectre said:

I have no desire to learn to speak bloke english, I don't associate with them. i have never been to england, and have no desire to go anywhere in europe.

The United Kingdom, not England (sic), has used the term "Passing Out Parade" For many a long year. It is most certainly not "bloke' English. The term is used by all branches of Military Service.  Indeed our Police Service use the term, and probably the Fire Service also.

On 2017-6-10 at 2:30 AM, captspectre said:

in the rest of the "civilized" world "passing out is becoming unconscious" look it up in the dictionary and google it! AND if an avaitor passes out while on flight duty without an explanation he is grounded! it is called safety of flight.

On 2017-6-10 at 2:34 AM, captspectre said:

I am speaking AMERICAN english! not bloke!

I have graduated from numerous Military schools (U.S.) but only passed out when i had to much to drink.

Only in America.....LOL

This is a thread about a military story. In military terms, passing out is a standard phrase across the whole world but according to you, not America.

Just like the television broadcast standards and mobile standards, America has to be different, wrong but different.

America finally gave in and followed the rest of the world in TV and Mobile phones so that should tell you something.

Finally, you graduated from "numerous Military schools". Why, did you keep flunking at them and have to move to another? You only graduate three times in America, High School, College and University so as you stated schools (plural), we can only assume that your education was somewhat wanting.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Passing out is a common phrase for finishing a military course. You know that now but seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder about Brits.

Your arrogance is what puts a lot of people off Americans, and no- I'm not a Brit.

Having looked at Cat whatsits posting history, it is not even worth responding. He just argues with everyone and offers nothing subjective and sows discord wherever he can.

He claims never to have visited Britain but can tell a "Cockney" accent and has plenty of views on the British.

In short, the perfect definition of an internet Troll.

Having looked at Cat whatsits posting history, it is not even worth responding. He just argues with everyone and offers nothing subjective and sows discord wherever he can.

He claims never to have visited Britain but can tell a "Cockney" accent and has plenty of views on the British.

In short, the perfect definition of an internet Troll.

Maybe a 'Mary Poppins' fan?

Would you 'Adam n Eve' it ?