Concern From Thai Companion To The New Visa Regulations

to everybody who is concerned with the new visa regulations,what are the concerns of your companion to these new rules(anxious?concerned?indifferent?may pen ray?....)many thanks.

My Thai girlfriend seems to think that there will always be a way around the new regulations. As rodgerdodger likes to say, "Good people will always be welcome in the Land of Smiles."

Edited by jeebusjones

Being aware that I will not be working the rest of my life and may not qualify to the 40k when I get old nor do a visa run when I'm 60, me and my wife decided that we save ample amount of money from now own to prepare for our retirement in ANOTHER ASIAN COUNTRY.

Edited by thai_narak

The GF does not understand the details of Thai immigration law so if to stay here I have to get a different type of visa then this is a detail which goes totally over her head.

We hear a lot of scare stories about the new visa rules. However, I am not aware of anyone being unable to obtain at least a double entry tourist visa in their home country. This means the worse case is that you have to go home every nine month (2*90 day TR then 3*30 day visa free) to be able to live.

...may not qualify to the 40k ...save ample amount of money from now own to prepare for our retirement in ANOTHER ASIAN COUNTRY.

I hate to be critical, but aren't those contradictory statements?

You don't think you will financially qualify for a retirement visa but you can save enough money to retire in another Asian country?

Curious as to which one you think 2 foreigners can retire to cheaper than Thailand.

TH

...may not qualify to the 40k ...save ample amount of money from now own to prepare for our retirement in ANOTHER ASIAN COUNTRY.

You don't think you will financially qualify for a retirement visa but you can save enough money to retire in another Asian country?

Curious as to which one you think 2 foreigners can retire to cheaper than Thailand.

TH

I'm under 50 and will not qualify for 800K when I turn 50 since the rule has changed and also will not have a guaranteed 40K a month when I retire. My current salary is 200K and obviously can save now that the rivers runs wild in the pocket. I don't think I can do visa run when I'm over 50 or 60 as well whilst on a non-O visa.

Edited by thai_narak

me and my wife decided that we save ample amount of money from now own to prepare for our retirement in ANOTHER ASIAN COUNTRY.

where ?

First in our list is Malaysia. There is a program for expats which is called "Malaysia my second home". We have another countries in the list but still on research mode. Philippines is second...

Edited by thai_narak

TH

I'm under 50 and will not qualify for 800K when I turn 50 since the rule has changed and also will not have a guaranteed 40K a month when I retire. My current salary is 200K and obviously can save now that the rivers runs wild in the pocket. I don't think I can do visa run when I'm over 50 or 60 as well whilst on a non-O visa.

Why will you not qualify for the 800k in tne bank rule?

TH

i'm talking about extension of stay for non-O.

You said

I'm under 50 and will not qualify for 800K when I turn 50 since the rule has changed

And we wonder why you will not be able to meet the 800k in a bank account for 3 month rule. There is no requirement that you make 800k each year, only that you have that amount in a bank account during the 3 months prior to application of extension of stay.

TH

You are about to make a serious life decision based on a serious misunderstanding. The 40k a month rule applies to Type O based on marriage. You have to have the 800k in the bank for 3 months prior to application for extension of stay for non-O based on over 50.

Methinks you are just being negative. :o

TH

You said
I'm under 50 and will not qualify for 800K when I turn 50 since the rule has changed

And we wonder why you will not be able to meet the 800k in a bank account for 3 month rule. There is no requirement that you make 800k each year, only that you have that amount in a bank account during the 3 months prior to application of extension of stay.

I think you should also look at his age. Do you think the rules will remain the same for the next 6 or 7 years? Considering what has taken place over the past 4 years, I think it will go up even further.

There is now even more limitations being placed on businesses that are foreign owned. The government now wants to see who has the VOTING RIGHTS. Before one could setup a company and buy a house even though a Thai company owned it at 51/49. You always had the voting rights. That is now also going to stop.

I think the welcome mat is being pulled. I have looked at Malaysia as an option, much better than the Philippines. The Philippines political situation has never been stable and crime is a bit too much. Malaysia would be the only option in my view where there is still a welcome mat and stability.

My partner is worried enough, I don't want to worry her with too many details though...

I asked her today if there was ever any mention of these visa rules on the news or any other program on TV and she said no, she said this was maybe because nobody had come forward and told the networks about it so my question is - if enough Thai people who these new rules affect came forward to one of the networks would it get aired like some of the other stories inside Thailand?

There must be quite a few Thais affected by this, lots of wives who's husbands don't quite qualify for the right visa or people like me who are shitting themselves about applying for a new NON-O visa because I have a baby with a Thai national

Nikkijah :o

TH

You are about to make a serious life decision based on a serious misunderstanding. The 40k a month rule applies to Type O based on marriage. You have to have the 800k in the bank for 3 months prior to application for extension of stay for non-O based on over 50.

Methinks you are just being negative. :o

TH

Yes, the 40K a month rules applies to type O based on marriage. I have this visa now. I have to get non-O every year outside Thailand since I do not qualify for extension of stay. Why? because I do not work in Thailand and my wife doesn't have 40K a month.

Now, the 800K rule. OK, let's say I turned 50 and retired, should I qualify for 800K in the bank or should I have to have 40K a month? Should I also change my non-O visa based on marriage to non-O visa based on retirement?

These twisted rules in thailand are confusing... In Malaysia, if I put 1.5M Baht in the bank I will be able to stay for 10 years and can buy properties like house, land, etc. in my name. I can also have an option to extend my stay for another 10 years. I will be 70 by then and ready to depart... simple as that! No, border runs, application for extension of stay, re-entry permit, notification every 90 days, etc. etc.

Edited by thai_narak

Yes, the 40K a month rules applies to type O based on marriage. I have this visa now. I have to get non-O every year outside Thailand since I do not qualify for extension of stay. Why? because I do not work in Thailand and my wife doesn't have 40K a month.

Now, the 800K rule. OK, let's say I turned 50 and retired, should I qualify for 800K in the bank or should I have to have 40K a month? Should I also change my non-O visa based on marriage to non-O visa based on retirement?

The 40k applies to an extension of stay from immigration. It does not apply to the visa itself. If you have 40k family income (it need not be inside Thailand) you can qualify for extension of stay.

So you do not have 40k if you turn 50 you would only have one option (unless you find income then) and that would be the 800k bank account method. When you qualify for more than one you have the option (which most people I believe would consider as a positive point).

So you do not have 40k if you turn 50 you would only have one option (unless you find income then) and that would be the 800k bank account method. When you qualify for more than one you have the option (which most people I believe would consider as a positive point).

This means I have to change my non-O based on marriage to based on retirement.

There is no change on a visa application. You can say marriage (to visit wife) forever when making application for a visa (which seems to be what you have).

The extension of stay over age 50 could be using the 40k marriage provision or the 800k/65k retirement provision and they would be different in time of approval and paperwork. But if you qualify for both you could use either method.

There is no change on a visa application. You can say marriage (to visit wife) forever when making application for a visa (which seems to be what you have).

The extension of stay over age 50 could be using the 40k marriage provision or the 800k/65k retirement provision and they would be different in time of approval and paperwork. But if you qualify for both you could use either method.

well said. now i can stop crying.

:o

In other post, one farang has been refused for extension of stay because there was no movement of 800K in the bank for a year. So what do we suppose to do with the 800K? Spend it and extension of stay will be refused anyway because no more 800K?

Edited by thai_narak

My partner is worried enough, I don't want to worry her with too many details though...

I asked her today if there was ever any mention of these visa rules on the news or any other program on TV and she said no, she said this was maybe because nobody had come forward and told the networks about it so my question is - if enough Thai people who these new rules affect came forward to one of the networks would it get aired like some of the other stories inside Thailand?

There must be quite a few Thais affected by this, lots of wives who's husbands don't quite qualify for the right visa or people like me who are shitting themselves about applying for a new NON-O visa because I have a baby with a Thai national

Nikkijah :o

nah, that's not right, this has been in the news ages ago when they first implemented it. Hardly big news, not exactly on par with large chunks of the sea wall being ripped out of Nakhon ST or freezing kiddies in Chiang Mai or chasing up millions of baht of corruption at the moment, as to date nothing AFAIK has actually happened; people haven't started to get physically evicted or wotnot.

Ok, then next bit has been how I looked at this from the beginning and I appreciate that this is very troubling for you in your situation. However, regarding the news angle, I don't think that most Thai people would really care that much as it has no relevance to most Thais; only a small number are married/in relationships with non Thais, and of the non Thais here, the majority of tourists here are only here for periods of a week or so, and the majority of workers have the correct paperwork. The small number of unfortunate people not really in either camp aren't sufficient in number to develop a major breaking news story; but come consequences, then you might see some footage on TV of people getting kicked out/caught for overstaying/tearfully living their house and family; the human side might be interesting then to the networks. Until then, I don't think you'll see much on Thai TV. Maybe something more on the english news side.

My Thai wife doesn't really understand the new rules very well and being Thai she believes there's always a way around the rules. Thai people are used to live in a totally corrupt burocratic system and they believe everything can be fixed with a bit of money and good friends (which most of the times is really true).

But the immigration laws for foreigners are pretty strict and I don't believe there's really a way around them. I am considering a few options:

- my wife has to find a job (or has to be self-employed) which pays 40K/month

- I will try to find a job which pays 40K/month, but I'll need a WP

- My wife employs me and pays me 40K/month, but we'll need to arrange a WP

- I could get very high income from "rent".

- a combination of the things above

- If no solution can be found I'll be doing visa runs and I'll be travelling to signapore or my home country for multiple entry non-immigrant O visas and I'll be doing visa runs every 90 days.

If I compare my legal status in Thailand with the legal status of my wife in my Western European home country I am treated like a dog and my wife like a queen. She has exactly he same rights as me in my home country (even more, she can get special free language education and social integration courses for foreigners).

Edited by kriswillems

In other post, one farang has been refused for extension of stay because there was no movement of 800K in the bank for a year. So what do we suppose to do with the 800K? Spend it and extension of stay will be refused anyway because no more 800K?

Spend what you need to live during the comming year then top it up to 800k when you apply again next year.

Kris:

And would she be allowed if you did not provide proof of some means to support her? For the USA the answer would be no as that is one of the requirements for immigrant visa approval. I don't disagree with you but believe even with the my country/your country that it is still not black/white.

Spend what you need to live during the comming year then top it up to 800k when you apply again next year.

Eventually, 800K may run out due to unforseen circumstances then will be kicked out of LOS. Unfortunately, when that time comes I will be old and will be wondering (with my thai wife) where to settle down obviously not in LOS anymore but in my home country or in other asian countries. I have seen this happened to someone I know... money may run out...

Eventually, 800K may run out due to unforseen circumstances then will be kicked out of LOS. Unfortunately, when that time comes I will be old and will be wondering (with my thai wife) where to settle down obviously not in LOS anymore but in my home country or in other asian countries. I have seen this happened to someone I know... money may run out...

Wherever you chose to live you will need living expenses. Why would your money run out here and not anywhere else?

Wherever you chose to live you will need living expenses. Why would your money run out here and not anywhere else?

but not being kicked out...