Avanza 1.5 Now

tigerbeer

we have about 700k to buy a car. seems like avanza has listened to the public about an underpowered engine. what do you guys think about this car? any other possible cars to consider instead???? we really would like to buy a fortuner but looking at financials, dont think can afford one at this moment.

how does this car drive like? acceptable? how is the petrol consumption? effecient? also the suspension at the rear is leaf? not sure. anyone got anything to say about this car?

we have about 700k to buy a car. seems like avanza has listened to the public about an underpowered engine. what do you guys think about this car? any other possible cars to consider instead???? we really would like to buy a fortuner but looking at financials, dont think can afford one at this moment.

how does this car drive like? acceptable? how is the petrol consumption? effecient? also the suspension at the rear is leaf? not sure. anyone got anything to say about this car?

Have you thought about a Vios. I have just listed mine in the classified section. Sorry if this is a little cheeky!

I did not think the old one was underpowered, not bothered about going over about 120 in mine (although I've had iot up to 160 with the wind behind me). Pulls ok fully loaded with people, parks on a sixpence (rear wheel drive), not too expensive to maintain.

I've had one for 2 years, found it useful for shuttling people and things about, you could not fit a rolled up king size mattress in a vios, bit it will fit snugly in an Avanza. It's nice and tall, useful around town and high ground clearance means you can tackle dodgy roads.

If you want a cheap car that doubles as a van / tardis, spend a lot of time driving around town, it's great. On long journies I find it a little dull, rear passengers get bounced around a bit. The new Avanza has modified suspension and wider wheels, should handle better, but my 1.3 is ok, gets round the corners with some huffing and puffing, looks good still.

The guy who writes the motoring section for Pattaya Mail (forget his name) raves about the Avanza, loves it's practicality. Check out what he had to say by reaidng the back issues and his review of the new Avanza www.pattayamail.com .

you could get a four door pickup for the same price, but they are a bugger to drive around Bangkok.

I would recommend test driving the Jazz. top of the range one available at a dealership for 700k. Speak to Andy at Expat motors (link on this site), he can get new cars cheaper than list price and things such as insurance. There are some great 2nd hand cars there too...

I drove the Jazz, the 1.5 Vtec and was really impressed.

James

you could get a four door pickup for the same price, but they are a bugger to drive around Bangkok.

I totally disagree with your comment, in fact driving around BKK is made easier by being in a pick-up as people tend to make way for you which they don't in a small saloon car.

I reckon that the poster, who has said he / she would like a Fortuner (i've got one and love it) should consider the Vigo double cab auto at about 760k which is the fortuner without the improved suspension, and put a carryboy on the back for 20k - sorted!

I totally disagree with your comment, in fact driving around BKK is made easier by being in a pick-up as people tend to make way for you which they don't in a small saloon car.

How about parking? Getting down small sois, U-turns? I have a pickup but it stays in the country where it belongs, with my other farming equipment.

I reckon that the poster, who has said he / she would like a Fortuner (i've got one and love it) should consider the Vigo double cab auto at about 760k which is the fortuner without the improved suspension, and put a carryboy on the back for 20k - sorted!

exactly what i had in mind. big problem though, missus thinks it just another truck which in fact it is. we went into the toyota showroom yesterday and test drove the avanza. kinda think its too small for us and a little too bumpy. just a little dissapointed. i think the avanza is overpriced for what it offers. looked at the innova instead and again, thats too expensive for the moment. Wish was nice as well. sporty as well as spacious.

also agree with jims a thai fox on the jazz. i have driven it before and it drives really well. its really a nice car to have. but! missus thinks its too small.

dansai kid vios is nice but too small for our taste. thanks for the offer though.

so at the end we have decided on a Civic 1.8 for about 850k. with some accesories put in and 5000 baht cash back. i had test driven the car before and its a little noisy (the engine) but looks good and drives well and new as hel_l. also possible to get a good selling price in case we decided to buy something else. what do you guys think of the civic?

How about parking? Getting down small sois, U-turns? I have a pickup but it stays in the country where it belongs, with my other farming equipment.

Quite! You live in the country and aren't used to city driving my man - How about parking? Getting down small sois, U-turns? :o:D

Quite! You live in the country and aren't used to city driving my man - How about parking? Getting down small sois, U-turns? :o:D

BB, I don't really get your argument...

Just for the record I've been in Bangkok for 6 years mate. Just have 2 homes that's all. How about you?

I'm always quite amused by the Toyota fans. If Toyota put four wheels on a big turd, Toyota fans would rave about it even though it stunk. I have some experience with Toyota pickups. I have had three of them since I have been in Thailand. No more Toyotas for me. I think the Triton is the ugliest vehicle ever built, BUT I'd buy a Triton before I'd buy another Toyota. I really have no idea why Toyota is so over rated. I really liked my first one. It was a great vehicle. IMHO, Toyotas have really gone down hill.

I think you chose the best option there. In your price range, i think the Honda is the best bet, or my other choice would have been Ford Focus, but then you are looking at higher depreciation.

I kind of agree with Gary on the Toyota thing. Ive only had one, a Tiger 4x4 but compared to my Ford Ranger it pales in comparison on all points. The rest of the Toyota range i find very bland and boring, except the Wish.

I'm always quite amused by the Toyota fans. If Toyota put four wheels on a big turd, Toyota fans would rave about it even though it stunk. I have some experience with Toyota pickups. I have had three of them since I have been in Thailand. No more Toyotas for me. I think the Triton is the ugliest vehicle ever built, BUT I'd buy a Triton before I'd buy another Toyota. I really have no idea why Toyota is so over rated. I really liked my first one. It was a great vehicle. IMHO, Toyotas have really gone down hill.

why do you say that gary? for one, yes toyotas are overated and overpriced. but going down hill in what sense? my bro in law just bought the latest 2.0G camry for 1.299mil. Superb engineering in that car. i must say that it beats accord and teana hands down. although a bit more expensive than the competition.

why do you say that gary? for one, yes toyotas are overated and overpriced. but going down hill in what sense? my bro in law just bought the latest 2.0G camry for 1.299mil. Superb engineering in that car. i must say that it beats accord and teana hands down. although a bit more expensive than the competition.

I've never had a Toyota car and my comments were directed at mostly the trucks. I recently spent several months looking at cars and nothing in the Toyota car group enthused me at all. Very bland looking and the Vios struck me as being especially poorly designed. I had pretty well decided on a Honda Civic but Ford swayed me with their no interest deal so I ended up with a Ford Focus Ghia. I liked the looks of the Ford even better than the Honda but think the Honda is the better car.

My last Toyota pickup ALWAYS had something wrong with it. Nothing major but just niggling little things. The air bag light wouldn't go out, the oil pressure light was flickering, the air con ducts got floppy and loose and the air conditioner sometimes stopped working when it was really hot outside. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the air conditioner. I suspect it was a loose wire somewhere. When the radiator sprung a major leak that was enough. Both the air bag and oil pressure lights were caused by poor (loose) wire connections. I also have a Nissan pickup and comparing the Toyota and Nissan, the Toyota was WAY underpowered, rough running, suffered poor fuel economy and felt heavy and clumsy. My Thai wife doesn't know anything about vehicles BUT she did know that she would much rather drive the Nissan. The ABS brakes activated often on the ridged rough roads up here and sounded like something was going to come apart. The switches for the power windows only worked when they felt like working. I HATE having to fiddle with things. I had the Toyota for sale but my conscience wouldn't allow me to sell it to an individual so the dealer wholesaled the truck. I certainly DIDN'T get a Toyota price for it but was VERY happy to be rid of it. That last truck was the worst of the three that I had. The first one was a great vehicle. the second got loose feeling and rattled. The third one stunk. The Nissan is still quiet and tight. No rattles.

Just for the record I've been in Bangkok for 6 years mate. Just have 2 homes that's all. How about you?

15 years, live out near the airport.