Man electrocuted for the sake of a few hundred baht

webfact

Man electrocuted for the sake of a few hundred baht

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

KABINBURI: -- A Prachinburi man was electrocuted when he tried to retrieve a reward from a balloon that had got stuck on some high voltage wires in Kabinburi.

Natawut Panompha, 20, had seen the piece of cloth advertising that had floated onto the wires. He had heard earlier that a foundation had released the balloon for someone to find and claim money attached to it.

The words on the cloth promised that in a small pouch attached to the advertising would be 9,999 baht.

He even hired a vehicle for 2,000 baht to help him retrieve the cash from the dangerous wires.

But as he was leaning out to claim his reward he was electrocuted and fell to the ground.

Kabinburi cops found him barely alive and he was given CPR to no avail.

Kabinburi electrical authorities then arrived and successfully retrieved the cloth and the pouch - which was found not to contain 9,999 baht but just 825 baht.

Everybody at the scene agreed that the money should be given to the family of the victim for funeral expenses, reported Thai Rath.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-08

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

There are those in Thailand for who a few hundred Baht is a real lifesaver.

Worth  loosing your life for.

Just be glad if you are not one of them.

Completely agree. I know people who have to get by with a 5,000THB-bucks a month (not a day), and we start nagging in the rare case our monthly wad is less than 6 digits or so...

9 minutes ago, Ralf61 said:

Completely agree. I know people who have to get by with a 5,000THB-bucks a month (not a day), and we start nagging in the rare case our monthly wad is less than 6 digits or so...

what is 5,000 THB-bucks    ?   I haven't come across THB-bucks before  ?

One wonders was he desperate for the cash, or just being a bit too cavalier about the potential dangers? Either way, a very tragic outcome. 

At the risk or sounding disrespectful, I am certain his family was shocked by the outcome. 

1 hour ago, Italian guy said:

Darwin would have called it "natural selection"...

Only if he was an insensitive heel.

It was a tragedy set in motion by a poorly conceived advertising promotion, crappy maintenance, and the general economic condition of millions of Thai people, to whom the advertised prize would make a pretty big difference in the quality of their lives.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Only if he was an insensitive heel.

It was a tragedy set in motion by a poorly conceived advertising promotion, crappy maintenance, and the general economic condition of millions of Thai people, to whom the advertised prize would make a pretty big difference in the quality of their lives.

I did't say I'm happy about it and I surely understand that poverty and lots of other factors did have a major role. But if you're not aware of the danger of climbing up a high voltage pole, unfortunately you're up to bad surprises.

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

There are those in Thailand for who a few hundred Baht is a real lifesaver.

Worth  loosing your life for.

Just be glad if you are not one of them.

Yes, but this does not seem to be the case. The guy even spent 2k THB to rent a utility vehicle to help him get to the money.

Looks like an acute case of good old lobha.