Good hairdresser

songhklasid

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2017 at 3:24 PM, balo said:

If money does not matter to you I will recommend Hair Well inside Central. They know how to fix farang hair the way you want it.

Do they have man hair stylist? Also I assume they (can) use scissors? No hair clippers for me, thanks very much. Is the price in the 300-400 range?

7 minutes ago, elzach said:

Do they have man hair stylist?

Yes , but the lady I recommend is pictured below , she's good with the scissor. But at least 2 guys are working there and they seem to have enough customers . 

20258239_1911525775788868_30081260587815 

Just as a side note, because I kept reading in the threads here about what's an expensive haircut, what's not. At a hair salon like the one you posted here, in a mall in BKK (like Central), will cost 450-500 baht (the ones offering the full works for women). On a side soi off Ratchadapisek for example, 300-350 baht. (edit: I know, prices seem to go up every year).

Having said that, I think we are all in agreement that finding a stylist who can consistently cut AND SHAPE western hair is an adventure. Hair clippers are easy, the style is easy (i.e. no hair style) and therefore cheap.

Edited by elzach

3 hours ago, elzach said:

Just as a side note, because I kept reading in the threads here about what's an expensive haircut, what's not. At a hair salon like the one you posted here, in a mall in BKK (like Central), will cost 450-500 baht (the ones offering the full works for women). On a side soi off Ratchadapisek for example, 300-350 baht. (edit: I know, prices seem to go up every year).

Seems ridiculously overpriced to me. For that price I can get a proper haircut done in the UK by a fully-trained and highly experienced barber who uses scissors, knows what layering is and doesnt make me look like a parrot.

3 hours ago, elzach said:

Having said that, I think we are all in agreement that finding a stylist who can consistently cut AND SHAPE western hair is an adventure. Hair clippers are easy, the style is easy (i.e. no hair style) and therefore cheap.

I wouldnt mind them using clippers if only they could use them properly. But they cant. Even when using clippers they simply dont know how to cut straight, how to layer or how to make the left and right sides symmetrical.

4 hours ago, elzach said:

in a mall in BKK (like Central), will cost 450-500 baht (the ones offering the full works for women). On a side soi off Ratchadapisek for example, 300-350 baht. (

It's cheaper in Pattaya. Just for the men's hair cut , around 250-350 baht inside Central . Outside in the sois it's cheaper of course, but then its a hit or a miss, mostly a miss. 

Just came back from Central Plaza Marina. Right next to the Big C entrance there is a hair salon called "Curly Cut". I decided to take my chances. A big sign on the window said "wash & cut 250 baht". That was already an incentive to try it.

I had already noticed a male hair stylist cutting hair there (I only have men stylists cut my hair, I don't trust women stylists to understand my cut, it would be either too much or too little. In Asia the problem is compounded of course). I went in, the man came to me right away, I explained what I'm looking for (2 cm off from sides and back, top to check later, scissors only), he understood, he speaks good English, he's about 28-30 y.o.

Parenthetically, to explain, if you have a Pierce Brosnan kind of hair style (relatively long wavy hair, combed/slicked back), that's a nightmare to most Asian(Thai) hair stylists. They probably wouldn't know where to start. Let's look at the local guys anywhere in Asia, 90% of them more or less same style, clippers on the side and back, the top usually a disaster more often than not.

He followed my directions, cutting slowly (important), little by little (more important). After he finished the back and most of the sides, time out, I asked to see (mirror, comb, spray, I'm a demanding customer!). Then the top, again slowly following my directions. Checked again, no rushing, some finishing touches. All in all a great haircut at a pretty good price. I gave him a 40 baht tip.

His name is Olio. He's not the friendliest stylist you'll meet, not very talkative, but serious about his job. That's what I want. Recommended.

IMG_20170728_172540.jpg

Edited by elzach

I go to Mr Joes hairdressing academy on 3rd road near the lights at Pattaya tai,free haircuting by students...40 baht tip is well appreciated........if ever I get a bad cut I wear my cap for a few days..........:cheesy: