Water pipe thumps

rak sa_ngop

I am living on the 5th floor of an 8 floor condo. I have been here about 10 years but about 5 years ago the water pipes above my condo developed a thump. This is loudest when the water is suddenly turned off e.g when using the bum gun or when the washing machine program switches the inlet water on and off.

This noise seemed to become less of an irritant a few years later, but is now back again. It always seems to come from above the entrance of my condo. I can make the noise but it is also triggered from the condo/condos above me. Strangely I never hear this thump from condos beside me or below me.

Yes, I have complained to the management office. They have explained that my water comes at hydrostatic pressure (no pump at my level but higher levels maybe are pumped) and that the water pressure is not too high, and anyway cannot be reduced.

I have suggested that there is a unsecured pipe somewhere in the system, but they assure me they have checked and everything is secure.

I get the feeling that they have done all they are prepared to do and they will just hope I forget about it. But I don't see why they can't fix this problem as no other condos  beside me or in any of the other 3  buildings here seems to have this problem.

Maybe I can get some suggestions from the TV experts that I can pass on to my building maintenance engineers?

Thanks

I think what you're hearing is a 'water hammer' effect.

When a faucet or valve is opened, water will begin to travel at *some* velocity, then when that faucet or valve is suddenly closed (as in the case of using a bum gun) the water in transit 'bounces' ...sometimes violently, in the pipes.

The remedies are:

• Close the faucets and valves slowly.  Yeah, I'm sure everyone will begin doing this from how on.
  • Install a Air Chamber (water spring), a vertical closed end pipe filled with air that can temporarily absorb the water movement.

How To Quiet Noisy Water Pipes

dummies.com

Back in Europe the pressure in our piped water supply was huge. So everyone always had a cheap pressure regulator fitted at the meter. Without this the joints would simply explode from the thumping and banging.

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

However high pressure is not normally an issue in Thailand so I wonder if this isnt more to do with a loose or bent pipe that is knocking on something?

A water hammering arrestor will take care of the problem, 

1/2" LF150A, Water Hammer Arrestor, Lead Free Product Image

They are nitrogen filled and dont need to be charged

a Thermal expansion tank will do the same.

Basically two chambers separated by a bladder  ,   In one side the water on the other side compressed air or in the case of hammering arrestor nitrogen 

air is compressible, so any expansion or surge in the system is absorbed by the compressible medium. 

Great, lots of good info from you guys.

One question I have is where would one locate one of these arrestor devices in an 8 floor building? I assume that if I had one of these devices installed for just for my own water supply, other units above or below me could still trigger the water shocks?

Also talking to my condo management there was a suggestion that I might have to pay for installation of this device (I am the only unit to have complained), whereas I would argue that the problem was probably caused about 5 years ago when the mains water pipes were replaced, so is a condo-structural problem.

Many thanks

On 6/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

Great, lots of good info from you guys.

One question I have is where would one locate one of these arrestor devices in an 8 floor building? I assume that if I had one of these devices installed for just for my own water supply, other units above or below me could still trigger the water shocks?

Also talking to my condo management there was a suggestion that I might have to pay for installation of this device (I am the only unit to have complained), whereas I would argue that the problem was probably caused about 5 years ago when the mains water pipes were replaced, so is a condo-structural problem.

Many thanks

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this thread

Hope my reply could be of use to you

As Arjen also said usually at the end of the line but would not hurt to place at any place in the system.

If I remember my physics correctly Hydraulic pressure is   transmitted at all points equally,  so it can be released or absorbed at any point. 

The pressure will seek the path of least resistance. in your case the movement of the loose pipe, the arrestor will make  the bladder in the unit the point of the least resistance to movement.

I suspect there is a water hammering arrestor already in the system  but it has either lost it's charge or the bladder has perforated meaning that now thee is water in both chambers of the unit. 

To make a long story short, You can probably install one under your sink.

Plenty of videos on the subject at YouTube ,

Funny story. The owner of a house I had sold, called me one time and asked me if the house was built on an old Indian burial site, Perplexed I said "not as far as I know, what would make you think so?" She replied we hear this banging in the walls..... LOL

Edited by sirineou