American expat found hanged in Phuket home

webfact

American expat found hanged in Phuket home

Eakkapop Thongtub

1497174969_1-org.jpg

Phuket rescue workers carry the man's body out from his home at the Baan Term Fun housing estate in Thalang. Photo

PHUKET: -- Police are continuing their investigation into the death of an American man retired to Phuket at his home in a residential estate popular with expats in Thalang earlier today (June 11).

Capt Chatree Choowichein of the Thalang Police was notified of the death at 11:30am by Uthan Wongyai, 30, a long-term friend of the deceased*.

Police arrived at the man’s home, located in Soi 13 of  the well-known Moo Baan Term Fun housing estate in Baan Manik, Thalang, to find the house locked from the inside.

After entering the house, officers found the retired expat hanged by a bedsheet looped over the top of the bedroom door.

Police reported they found no signs of assault on the man’s body or any evidence of a struggle in the house.

“The air conditioning was still on. We believe the man died no more than 48 hours before his body was found,” Capt Chatree reported.

Mr Uthan told police that he and the deceased had been friends for years, and that American man rented the house more than seven years ago. He lived alone.

“I tried calling him many times but got no answer, so fearing that something may have happened to him I drove over here,” Mr Uthan told police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-expat-found-hanged-in-phuket-home-62531.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-06-12

56 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

There goes another one. Sad, but is hanging becoming more popular than jumping off a balcony, as a method to end it all , here in the land of smiles?

It's a bit easier when you live in a bungalow, I suppose!

Too many of these stories recently, Are suicides amongst expats and tourists increasing or are they just being reported more often? I knew one American that decided to travel to Phnom Penh and jump from a building there rather than have his story all over the Phuket press.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

It's a bit easier when you live in a bungalow, I suppose!

Too many of these stories recently, Are suicides amongst expats and tourists increasing or are they just being reported more often? I knew one American that decided to travel to Phnom Penh and jump from a building there rather than have his story all over the Phuket press.

"Too many of these stories recently, Are suicides amongst expats and tourists increasing or are they just being reported more often? I knew one American that decided to travel to Phnom Penh and jump from a building there rather than have his story all over the Phuket press."

IMO its just that , especially on a lot of Thai sites that it is 'highlighted" as news,and, yes reported more often  and also sensationalised to a large degree.

Suicide world wide, not just Thailand is ever increasing for a multitude of reasons, an epidemic in fact.

Figures from 4 years ago show a suicide every 40 seconds worldwide and this number has increased a lot in that time.

I support a mate from NZ who is terminally ill and suicidal and he also wants to leave Thailand for the same reason you say, when his time comes where he will die with dignity at a time and place of his choosing.

Even his small country has a suicide rate of at least 10 per week.[but thankfully,it rarely makes the news]

Edited by happyas

25 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Thailand should not be considered amongst the top 20 most dangerous country but top 5.

I would award IT with the top spot for suicide cases by HANGING & BALCONY JUMPING. Can anyone dispute or add to this??

Not sure exactly how people committing suicide makes it a dangerous place to visit. RIP.

2 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Thailand should not be considered amongst the top 20 most dangerous country but top 5.

I would award IT with the top spot for suicide cases by HANGING & BALCONY JUMPING. Can anyone dispute or add to this??

"Can anyone dispute or add to this?" :guitar:

In USA there are "only" about 44 000 suicide every years (forty four thousand) an average of 121 per day

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

"Can anyone dispute or add to this?" :guitar:

In USA there are "only" about 44 000 suicide every years (forty four thousand) an average of 121 per day

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Check the facts!  https://ethailand.com/breaking-news/thailand-third-most-suicides-world/1627/

Or from Wikipedia - lists deaths per 100,000 population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Edited by snooky
Found new info

3 minutes ago, snooky said:

Divided by five since the US has five times the local population = 25.  Are there 25 suicides here on average daily??

You'd have to include tourists and expats as well in your population numbers.

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

hmmm ... didn't say how old he was ... and any suspicion seems to have been dismissed quickly.

where was his thai gf  ?  his CC ?  his mobile ?

Read the full report ...

"He was to have celebrated his 54th birthday today (June 11)."

37 minutes ago, snooky said:

Check the facts!  https://ethailand.com/breaking-news/thailand-third-most-suicides-world/1627/

Or from Wikipedia - lists deaths per 100,000 population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

OK I followed your links : for 100 000 people Thailand 12.7 suicides USA 12.6! Wow what a difference

Allow me to remind you my answer was to: "Thailand should not be considered amongst the top 20 most dangerous country but top 5."

for a supposed incredible number of suicide in LOS ....so with your permission :cheesy: 

But for some members Thai bashing is a religion

Yes, 54 is not very old.

While suicide among the elderly is a lot more common than many people think (internationally), 54 is not elderly.

Reasons typically related to health problems, loneliness, depression, loss of spouse, and money running out. 

I noticed in the article that they are confused about his birthplace.

I can clear that up. 

If he said Washington and did not add D.C., he meant the STATE.

No need to clarify "state" if you just say Washington. 

According to the man’s confirmation of extension of stay in Thailand as issued by Immigration officers, the man’s place of birth as “Washington, USA” (Washington State or Washington DC not clarified).

Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-expat-found-hanged-in-phuket-home-62531.php#wTwJ1L3S9qA7qt2O.99

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

OK I followed your links : for 100 000 people Thailand 12.7 suicides USA 12.6! Wow what a difference

Allow me to remind you my answer was to: "Thailand should not be considered amongst the top 20 most dangerous country but top 5."

for a supposed incredible number of suicide in LOS ....so with your permission :cheesy: 

Gotta agree with you - too many members always bashing this country.  Lots of problems here, but also lots of problems everywhere.

14 minutes ago, snooky said:

Gotta agree with you - too many members always bashing this country.  Lots of problems here, but also lots of problems everywhere.

Your right in fact many countries government do not even allow suicide to be reported in papers. Even if soneone death reported they will write "died suddenly" 

And this because many politician in the west dont want the public to know how bad they let thier own people down

Now that IS burying your head in the sand.

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

suicide? or did a patronizing girlfriend lend the poor chap a helpful hand?  was the house purchased? if so, who get's the jackpot after his death?

RIP anyhow...

thats correct ...  he was only 54 yrs old so something strange ... where's the CC's ...  the gf ?

On 6/12/2017 at 3:10 PM, snooky said:

That's right, as we say in Australia, if you don't like it, leave it.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:00 AM, Mickmouse1 said:

How is that funny? Yes, you can award it like that given that probably 90% of cases are farangs.

On 6/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, Tchooptip said:

Indeed, and then these Thai-bashers mock Buddhism etc etc.