A bit off topic but there is a lot of waste from the pineapple canning factory. Some time back I was talking to an Aussie butcher. His beef was excellent. He was buying his beef from an Aussie  beef farmer. The question came up as why that Aussie beef was so much better than the normal Thai beef. He told me the secret was the feed. They were feeding their beef the pineapple scraps from the canning company.

I took that with a grain of salt. Does anyone know if beef cattle will eat pineapple scrap or was the guy pulling my leg?

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

A bit off topic but there is a lot of waste from the pineapple canning factory. Some time back I was talking to an Aussie butcher. His beef was excellent. He was buying his beef from an Aussie  beef farmer. The question came up as why that Aussie beef was so much better than the normal Thai beef. He told me the secret was the feed. They were feeding their beef the pineapple scraps from the canning company.

I took that with a grain of salt. Does anyone know if beef cattle will eat pineapple scrap or was the guy pulling my leg?

Cattle can probably eat it. I think it is called a by product for cattle. But it would be in limited amounts because it is so sweet. Your friend was probably pulling your leg. Silage,grain and seed oils are what give the flavor and texture in most cases.

Canada Alberta beef beats Aussie beef hands down.

On 2017-6-12 at 8:26 AM, Gary A said:

In New Delhi or Bombay the citycows eat just anything they can find...also the shops feed them stuff like orangepeels and whatever they want to get rid of. I even saw them eating cardboard boxes and plastic crap. There are huge garbagepiles (well 20 years ago i was there) at the streets and the cows just roam around them.

I don't know if cows can eat pineapples though, they have nasty barbs in the skin. But Thai cows eat lousy grass, just like at them they are soo skinny and small compared to european cows.

Also, once i marinated porc in pineapplejuice but after 2 hours the meat was totally falling apart...dissolved by the juice, it's pretty strong for softening up meats so i wonder if cows can eat that.

On 2017-6-12 at 9:47 AM, lovelomsak said:

Cattle can probably eat it. I think it is called a by product for cattle. But it would be in limited amounts because it is so sweet. Your friend was probably pulling your leg. Silage,grain and seed oils are what give the flavor and texture in most cases.

Canada Alberta beef beats Aussie beef hands down.

Well aussie beef is from cows running free in the outback...i've been all over the outback and there is no nice green grass like in canada.

Also its hot in the outback, cows don't like that too much.

In Europe there are even laws that cows have the right to have a shadetree in the field.

Here in Thailand  you can buy  pineapple silage  ,as has been said  made from the waste from the canning factorys , it is sold  as Look-Dow  in  Thai ,dice, in Enlish   small square  blocks wrapped in plastic about 25 kg ,some company's mix maize cobs  , bulk it out a bit .one Look -Dow was about 50 baht.

Problem is the DM ,dry matter,pineapple silage  is a wet feed , about 25%  pineapple and 75% water , with the high sugar content ,a high enagey feed ,but low in protein ,

Some years ago  I visited a dairy co-op  I Prachuap province ,they grow a lot of pineapples ,and feed  the small one .ane ones that do not make the grade, to the dairy cattle , cattle did well on them.

Archived