Thai police investigate YouTuber for 'cat vs. scorpion' animal cruelty

webfact

Police investigate YouTuber for 'cat vs. scorpion' animal cruelty

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

cats-696x389.jpg 

Nate Bartling holds up his cats in a video released Saturday defending a prank video released last week that resulted in a criminal complaint of animal cruelty. Photo: My Mate Nate / YouTube

BANGKOK — Police said Monday they are investigating a controversial American YouTuber for animal cruelty after animal groups filed a report against him Friday.

After American Nate Bartling, better known by his YouTube handle “My Mate Nate” posted a video of his two cats fighting a scorpion on June 5, an angry online backlash led to two people taking their anger to the police.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2017/06/12/police-investigate-youtuber-cat-vs-scorpion-animal-cruelty/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-06-12

''Bartling said he had obtained the stinger-less scorpion from a shop that sold edible scorpions on Khaosan Road, and he found his cat playing with the scorpions in his kitchen.

“Grabbing the camera to film my cats might have been my fault,” Bartling said in Thai. “Letting the cats play with a scorpion is like teaching a child to know what’s hot or cold by letting them learn for themselves. I didn’t have any malicious intent to hurt the cats.”

Liar

Edited by Bluespunk

Some might not know that this is just the latest case of this ... making "funny" videos.

A mentally disturbed character who does a strong contribution to the bad image of "farangs".

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some might not know that this is just the latest case of this ... making "funny" videos.

A mentally disturbed character who does a strong contribution to the bad image of "farangs".

Indeed. This is the guy who froze a snakehead fish in liquid nitrogen then reanimated it. Oh what fun!

Animal abuse is often the first sign of serious disturbance among adolescent and adult killers.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/why-the-wild-things-are/201302/do-mass-killers-start-out-harming-pets

Cruelty to animals and violence towards people have something in common: both types of victims are living beings, feel pain, experience distress, and may die from their injuries. [1] Until recently, however, violence towards animals had been considered to be unrelated to violence towards children and the elderly, and other forms of domestic violence. [2] A correlation has now been established between animal abuse, family violence, and other forms of community violence. [3] A growing body of research indicates that people who commit acts of cruelty towards animals rarely stop there. [4] Murderers and people who abuse their spouse or children had frequently harmed animals in the past. [5] People who abuse animals may also be dangerous to people. [6]

https://www.animallaw.info/article/link-cruelty-animals-and-violence-towards-people

Edited by NCC1701A

My Mate Nate has a work permit, and he’s not going anywhere

By Coconuts Bangkok

897465.JPG

A screenshot from My Mate Nate’s latest video.

For the first time, American expat YouTuber My Mate Nate responded Saturday to the online rage he received from both Thais and expats for filming his cats fighting a scorpion—the video for which he is under police investigation for animal cruelty.

In a 20-minute video, Nate Bartling, or My Mate Nate, does not apologize for the actions that made him an online object for hatred for the content of his influential YouTube channel. Instead, he questioned why this has to be such a big deal in his latest video titled: “Drama again… I’ll explain.”

“I made a mistake. It’s a small issue. Why does it have to be a big drama? If only we could spend our time doing something creative rather than ruining other people’s lives… some people contacted our sponsors, asking them to go against us. Is it that much of a big deal that a cat got its mouth clipped by a scorpion?” Bartling said in his latest Thai-language video.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/mate-nate-work-permit-hes-not-going-anywhere/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-6-12

Young guy... works online... speaks Thai... work permit... boy Thaivisa will get their panties in a twist over this.

While the animal abuse is reprehensible, he will still have been a net positive for the image of foreigners over the course of his 550 million video views and those to come. You can see the like to dislike ratio on the videos too.

Chances are his detractors are substantially more deranged than him. 

Edited by jspill

7 minutes ago, jspill said:

Young guy... works online... speaks Thai... work permit... boy Thaivisa will get their panties in a twist over this.

While the animal abuse is reprehensible, he will still have been a net positive for the image of foreigners over the course of his 550 million video views and those to come. You can see the like to dislike ratio on the videos too.

Chances are his detractors are substantially more deranged than him. 

Probably

1 minute ago, balo said:

Show us the work permit kid , where did you buy it? 

I believe him.

He has a work permit for organizing cat-against-scorpion fights.

Because that is an occupation that Thais can not fulfill, since they are buddhists.

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I will laugh when the despicable Nate is servicing the perverts in jail ... it will give new meaning to "My Mate" Nate.

He is a pretty boy and will 'go down well' in a Thai prison.

Edited by Here It Is

So he thinks animal cruelty isn't such a big deal. 
"It's a small issue." "Why does it have to be a big drama ?"

Seriously ? He thinks that is "being creative" ?

In another thread I mentioned that the more he's able to get away with, the more he is likely to do. What's next, cat vs cobra ? Dog vs crocodile ? 

Gotta keep those youtube hits coming in ! Kaching ! $$$$$

The cat didnt look harmed at all and returned for more play. What would have been funny is seeing his cat eat his scorpion pet. His video of freezing a cat fish then unthawimg still alive was a bit unsettling but so is throwing a live lobster in boiling water.

Some KFC his videos are in poor taste. The cat vs scorpion video is sick. I wonder what his reaction would be to him vs a scorpion.  Ample punishment I would think. 

Work permit - I would think labor should look into this. I doubt his work description covers what he does. 

'“I made a mistake. It’s a small issue. Why does it have to be a big drama ...'

Because if it weren't, no one with an IQ much above 30 would have any interest in you or your antics.

And that's more time than I should have spent on answering.