Would you confront your general contractor on this?

r136dg

11 minutes ago, zd1 said:

Just a thought when I get my steel delivered I get them to prime it straight away, as i'm by the sea, steel and sea air is a recipe for rust I try and get some level of protection on the steel straight away. When the welding is done and grinded down nicely they just have to prime over the welds then, it can also save a bit of time as it is easier to prime the steel when it is on the ground and if the steel is in good condition when delivered you could save more time as it may not need rubbing down. The top coats will have to be done when the structure is up so the painting is even though.

A friend mentioned the other day about a method called cathodic protection where you run a 12 volt current through the steel for rust protection i'm going to do a bit of research into this as it may give my steel structures better protection.

All the frames are prepped primed and painted at ground level and lifted and then bolted to the posts afterwards.

From experience I've tried the priming first and brushing in the welded areas afterwards but bits get missed and soon start to corrode as I'm also near the sea.

workshop roof prep.jpg

15 minutes ago, zd1 said:

Just a thought when I get my steel delivered I get them to prime it straight away,

Yes, me too (OK I do the priming). Pretty quick with one of those mini paint rollers.