Plex, new MB/Processor/RAM and BSOD -Win 10 x64

Generalchaos

Just upgraded my PC with a new MB - Asus Maximus ix code and a new processor, the Intel i7 7700K along with 32GB of new Corsair Vengeance LED RAM - 2 x 16GB.

Just to make it more interesting and add a few more variables, I now have my monitor (Dell U2412M) into a new graphics card - the Gigabyte GTX 1050TI via the DisplayPort.

I also now connect the HGMI 1 slot of the card to an LG 55UH61  TV, it is UHD, 55 inch smart jobbie.

Install of the hardware was not without issue and in the end a totally fresh install of Win 10 x64 Pro had to be done after biting some bullets.

I had a few instances where the MB would not boot and just sat there, that seems to be resolved.

Now for the main problem - PLEX Media server.

Whenever I try to run Plex using the app on the LG TV I get a BSOD on the PC, it just cuts out and then reboots. The Win 10 event viewer shows the error 41 kernel power as the reason.

Nothing is overclocked at the moment, ram is at 2133MHz. CPU at 4.2GHz. But this is totally repeatable within less than 5 minutes of running a movie on Plex.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it?

CPU temps. are low 40's, no overheating, PSU is well within spec, 750W Cooler master (The machine can run prime 95 all day and barely get warm - it is water cooled)

Only Plex is doing this. I have reinstalled on both TV and PC and no improvement.

I may give a different DLNA server a shot and see if it helps, but any ideas in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I actually think I know what I have done wrong - if anyone can confirm - 

I connected the TV as a 2nd monitor using HDMI, then my brain must have frazzled as I then installed Plex as a media server on the PC and used the TV remote to control it using the 2nd monitor!

I just uninstalled plex and ran UMS and it does the same thing.

When I think what I have done as a setup, it actually makes no sense!

I would still be interested if anyone thinks that this is the root cause.

Been running Intel Burn Test for an hour at max settings and the system is stable, run any of my two media servers and within minutes....REBOOT!

"Whenever I try to run Plex using the app on the LG TV I get a BSOD on the PC, it just cuts out and then reboots. The Win 10 event viewer shows the error 41 kernel power as the reason."

Ridiculous - why would turning on the TV make Windows crash?

Hard to imagine - but really, best use Linux for this kind of stuff. Using an SSD you can do dual-boot and have a super reliable system for watching TV, handling media and most other stuff you're going to be doing... (I'm watching TV whilst browsing this on my old monitor)...

Then when it's time to work (assuming you have some need for Windows software that you can't satisfy in Linux) you can simply reboot. I use Windows to sync my phone, takes me 35 seconds for the reboot (add maybe another ten minutes of Windows telling me I cant use my computer because it's preparing nothing but showing some stupid circular dotty patterns to entertain itself).

Plex app on Windows 10 also sucks big time... OpenPHT on Linux rocks (may be has a Windows version too).

So there you go - 256GB SSD, give Windows 140GB and get rid of the stupid Hiberfile, then put Linux Mint on the other half.

1 minute ago, ben2talk said:

Ridiculous - why would turning on the TV make Windows crash?

OP also has the computer directly connected to the TV via HDMI cable.

Bad HDMI cable, or configuration issues could cause the HDMI power bus to crash.

8 minutes ago, RichCor said:

OP also has the computer directly connected to the TV via HDMI cable.

Bad HDMI cable, or configuration issues could cause the HDMI power bus to crash.

I don't think configuration could do it - turning on PLEX app on the TV isn't anything to do with the HDMI cable. Starting up the PLEX app on the computer could make it crash... but not the PLEX app on the TV which is connected via WiFi, right?

Yeah, I'm with you in ignoring the plex app and server data connection crash theory.

A PC graphics driver issue is more likely.

But I am still asking the OP to disconnect the TV's HDMI cable from the computer to isolate that from the issue. Though, HDMI CEC can do odd things. My Sony TV will crash my android set top box unless I enable it. (wfh!)