Shaving foam in Thailand

JohnJay

The only shaving foam I can find are those little tiny travel cans from Lotus or 7/11 for 83 baht. Every Thai man I ask shaves their face using some type of moisturizer. I don't really want to try it with moisturizer although maybe it would be a lot cheaper. Is it possible to buy full sized cans of shaving foam? I've looked everywhere. The tiny cans don't last.

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Lotus, Big C !
Gillette, Barbasol , both in big cans !
You must be looking just on the travel size aisle where they have small shaving foam, deodorants and toothpaste etc.

Never seen them before... I'm in buriram. I've looked in the big Lotus stores and couldn't find any either. Back home I pay 40 baht for a full sized can, I don't even know why they even sell those stupid little cans that only last a week.

Don't!  Buy tablets of shaving soap and a brush instead and save yourself a fortune.  When I used to shave a can of shaving foam would last about a month, whereas a shaving soap, in its own plastic container, from Boots cost the same but lasted over a year.  It's far easier to apply the right amount in the right places on a brush.

You can take it on a plane and it's not as bad for the environment.

Imported shaving gel or foam costs a small fortune. I use Biore Pure Perfect Facial Foam for shaving. Works great, you get a nice thick lather, and "only" costs around 99 Baht. 

Edited by gjoo888

6 hours ago, JohnJay said:

Never seen them before... I'm in buriram. I've looked in the big Lotus stores and couldn't find any either. Back home I pay 40 baht for a full sized can, I don't even know why they even sell those stupid little cans that only last a week.

The Nivea moisturizing shaving foam found in Tops (Robinsons) in Buriram works well and it was just a little over 100 baht for a decent sized can. The Gillette was over 300 baht a can which is significantly more than it is worth in my opinion.

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

Don't!  Buy tablets of shaving soap and a brush instead and save yourself a fortune.  When I used to shave a can of shaving foam would last about a month, whereas a shaving soap, in its own plastic container, from Boots cost the same but lasted over a year.  It's far easier to apply the right amount in the right places on a brush.

You can take it on a plane and it's not as bad for the environment.

Quite so, and if you want a better quality soap you can order it online from George Trumper in Curzon Street.  I like their lime flavoured soap.

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

When I used to shave a can of shaving foam would last about a month, whereas a shaving soap, in its own plastic container, from Boots cost the same but lasted over a year. 

It only lasts you a month? Mine last's me about a whole year! But then again, I only shave my facial hair. If you are shaving all the hair off your entire body, I could understand why it lasts only a month.

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Lotus, Big C !
Gillette, Barbasol , both in big cans !
You must be looking just on the travel size aisle where they have small shaving foam, deodorants and toothpaste etc.

Without any doubts , Barbasol shaving cream is the best I have ever used at half the price of Gillette . I buy my big aerosol can of Barbasol shaving cream from Tesco Lotus along with large deodorant sprays .

This will take some believing but in the UK they are faking Gillette products such as razors and creams and normally for sale in the pound shops or small corner shops . Blades blunt quickly and the foam runs off your face after the first few uses .

9 hours ago, JohnJay said:

Ok, so Barbisol is on my 'check' list, I always used Gillette gel before. However, since putting a mirror in the shower I tend to just smear some soap and shave right there with no gel.

Incidentally, anyone else notice the ridiculous price of those orange Bic triple blades? I mean like less than half the cost of most others (including disposables) and the blades are too cheap - they aren't to be found in Boots/Watsons etc. I only ever saw them in Tesco-Lotus (20 baht per blade I think...)

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

It only lasts you a month? Mine last's me about a whole year! But then again, I only shave my facial hair. If you are shaving all the hair off your entire body, I could understand why it lasts only a month.

Tis true, standard can of shaving foam generally lasted one month when only shaving facial hair.  If I were shaving all the hair off my body then that would take a year!  Anthropologists would probably study me as the term 'missing link' is often used.

BigC; Tesco-Lotus; many pharmacies or Boots; even some 7-eleven – may be depending of area, but where I'm around, no problem – they all have a variety of shaving products, including brand names and (relative) big cans of shaving foam and shaving gel; like Gilette, Nivea, BigC (own brand) and numerous others in a number of variants (menthol, lime, fresh, sport; probably also one that's irresistible); I can normally find fair sized cans all the named places from around 129 baht and up to around 250-300 baht (or more) from imported brand name shaving gel...:smile:

5 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

I got the impression Thais don't have much facial hair, I saw my GF relation 'plucking' hairs from her husbands neck/face.

My father in law uses a safety razor with no foam, no water, nothing. Just dry. Guy must have a face like a sheet of sandpaper

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where are you ?

Try: Villa, Tops, Big C, Tesco Lotus, Foodland... 

Look properly in Big C and Tesco. You'll find shaving foam and or gel of Gillette in ususl as well as small (for travelling) containers. Albeit they are expensive compared to the local foam, which is not really bad