Expecting Better: A Must-Read For Pregnancy

snoop1130

Expecting Better: A Must-Read For Pregnancy

written by Jacqueline Arce

a-pregnant-women-with-both-hands-on-her-belly.jpg

Emily Oster is angry and rightfully so. It seems that all of a sudden when women become pregnant, we are treated like children. NO alcohol, NO caffeine … and that’s just the beginning. During pregnancy we’re constantly warned not to gain too much weight. Towards the end, when desperate to go into labour, we’re told to have lots of sex (wait a minute, am I seeing a pattern here? Did doctors makes all these rules or husbands?).  

We get passed around from appointment to doctor to nurse and hardly told what we are being subjected to and why. Oster asks questions like, “Why aren’t I allowed to eat while in labour?”, “What are the pros and cons of an epidural?”, and “Isn’t there some medical proof proving that daily foot massages benefit the baby?” (just kidding, that last one is my own).

To her disappointment, Oster was confronted with vague answers and doctors who preferred to say “no coffee!” rather than “two cups a day is feasible” because they don’t trust women to control themselves. Can you imagine if pregnant women really lost the ability to enact self-control? They probably wouldn’t be drinking eight cups a coffee a day, but more likely behaving in narcoleptic manner – taking naps under the desk at work, while driving, mid conversation, and face down in a peanut butter sandwich at lunch.

Full Story: http://expatlifeinthailand.com/health-and-beauty/expecting-better/

expat-life.png
-- © Copyright Expat Life In Thailand 2017-6-14

Archived