Catch More Than a Minivan at Soi 51

snoop1130

Catch More Than a Minivan at Soi 51

catch-minivan-soi-51.jpg

If you are looking for an area to eat in Hua Hin that is not on the regular tourist map, head for the corner of Naebkehart Road and Soi 51. Soi 51, now the home of the minivan depot, has always had a multitude of food options. This is very much a Hua Hin locals’ haunt.

The daytime sees Som Tam Thanon Tok, a well-known Isaan restaurant, with queues of people waiting to taste their Som Tam or grilled meats on weekends. Service is fast, so you’ll never wait long; it’s a must try. Just around the corner on Naebkehart are two other Hua Hin food institutions: Baan Thong Kham, doing traditional Isaan food and Ratama known for it’s duck; Pet Peloe is it’s specialty.

Two popular places from morning to night are Icy Beans, with their extensive icy drinks list, a menu of rice, noodles and spaghetti, plus the quirky Gallery Drip Coffee, where you can have all day brunch, or just a great cup of coffee.

The area really hots up as the sun sets with street food favourites of Guay Tiaw Moo, a Chinese style noodle soup with a rich, fragrant broth, and Kha Moo, a beautifully succulent stewed pork knuckle. There’s also Cooking Mama, with their retro fitout, which does a simple, yet tasty Thai menu, or try something from one of the popup street food stalls.

Full Story: http://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/catch-minivan-soi-51/

huahintoday_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2017-6-14

A very good tip!!....soundy very deliciously tempting....but I am always a bit on the reserve regarding fresh (obviously uncooked) juices, the ice cubes and certain street food stalls!!!...but the other dishes on the menus sound great!

Anybody aware if the mini bus to Bangkok City or Suvarna costs the same as the regular bus from the big bus station off the HH Airstrip, Northbound?

Edited by observer90210

• 2 weeks later...

Concerns over ice cubes are very 1980s, observer90210. Since you now pay for ice, it is a safe commodity. We have to try and stress this to our food tour guests often, as that old belief still rears its ugly head from time to time.

Street food, I've never had a concern. Just follow some obvious rules: Watch that the vendor is not collecting money as well as preparing fresh food. So if they are selling Moo Ping, there is no concern as the meat is already on the skewers. Fried chicken, the same as the pieces are in a marinade and they usually use plastic glove to put them in the oil. But if someone was cutting fresh ingredients, meat, veg etc, as well as taking the money; that is a bit of a concern. Always look for vendors that do not cook too much in advance, if talking about deep fried and other items. Many are very cluey and only do enough to get through the next little period and start cooking more as items are sold. This means items are spanking fresh. Street food is the heart and soul of Thailand, so to miss out on much of it would be a real shame.

Incidentally, my wife and I penned this article for Hua Hin Today, so can thoroughly recommend Soi 51 and the surrounding area on Naebkhehard. The food is first rate and very, very local, so not 'dumbed down' for farangs.

As for the minivans, I believe they are 180 baht to the city, can't say for the airport, but suspect the same. The big coaches from near new bus depot near HH airport are 269 baht.

cheers

1 hour ago, honkin said:

Concerns over ice cubes are very 1980s, observer90210. Since you now pay for ice, it is a safe commodity. We have to try and stress this to our food tour guests often, as that old belief still rears its ugly head from time to time.

Street food, I've never had a concern. Just follow some obvious rules: Watch that the vendor is not collecting money as well as preparing fresh food. So if they are selling Moo Ping, there is no concern as the meat is already on the skewers. Fried chicken, the same as the pieces are in a marinade and they usually use plastic glove to put them in the oil. But if someone was cutting fresh ingredients, meat, veg etc, as well as taking the money; that is a bit of a concern. Always look for vendors that do not cook too much in advance, if talking about deep fried and other items. Many are very cluey and only do enough to get through the next little period and start cooking more as items are sold. This means items are spanking fresh. Street food is the heart and soul of Thailand, so to miss out on much of it would be a real shame.

Incidentally, my wife and I penned this article for Hua Hin Today, so can thoroughly recommend Soi 51 and the surrounding area on Naebkhehard. The food is first rate and very, very local, so not 'dumbed down' for farangs.

As for the minivans, I believe they are 180 baht to the city, can't say for the airport, but suspect the same. The big coaches from near new bus depot near HH airport are 269 baht.

cheers

You dismiss a legitimate concern, and one that  is a recommendation of public health officials in the  countries of origin of western visitors and then you engage in some of the very behaviour you ridicule.

Yes, ice can be safe. It is not safe because one pays for it. Rather it is safe because the   hospitality establishment  follows safe practice.  The problem with ice is cross contamination. Customers do not see how the ice is stored, or served. I have. There are places where the ice may have been clean while it was in the  factory sourced bag, but once the bag is dumped into a bowl, which wasn't cleaned properly or once the server uses  his hands to serve the ice cubes, the same hands that went unwashed after a visit to the lavatory or that were preparing uncooked food, we have a potential food borne illness.

You make the assumption that  the use of gloves prevents food borne illness. Wrong. If the serving utensils are not clean, or the perishables not stored at an appropriate temperature, all the gloves in the world will not help.