Is Proof Of Onward Travel Enough

Hi Everyone

UK national here

Flying out to Bangkok from London Heathrow on June 24, return flight booked 6th September Bangkok to Heathrow

On 27th June we fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh Cambodia, spend 30 days there getting back to Bangkok on July 26th (flights to Cambodia  already booked)

Then current plan is to spend the rest of the time in Thailand up to departure date of 6th September 

My question is, will the proof of onward travel to Cambodia be enough to satisfy customs officials? 

My current plan was to obtain a 60 day VISA for Thailand when in Phnom Penh which apparently is easy to do 

Do you think this plan is OK or do I need to get the 60 day VISA for Thailand before I travel?

If so then how do I get this - we currently live in Javea, Spain and we won't be in UK long enough to get this sorted out there?

Thanks in advance 

Your plan looks OK. The Phnom Penh flight reservation will meet the airline's requirement for onward flight when entering visa exempt, and the tourist visa application in Phnom Penh should be fine. [As an aside, 30 days is an awfully long time to stay in Phnom Penh. If, as I expect, you are going to be traveling, allow a week in Phnom Penh to sort out the Thai tourist visa. Less time, and you will need agents and extra expense.]

Seems the info in Phnom Penh is inconsistent. I was there last month and the agency I spoke with insisted I would need to include a bank statement if I were to apply. Phnom Penh wasn't the only city on my itinerary anyway and I got a tourist visa later from a Thai embassy in another country. However some people reported other agents in PP only needing the flight ticket in order to get a tourist visa. (by the way.. "Tuk tuk, sir? You want tuk tuk?" )

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

why dont you just apply for a double entry visa now in  london ?????????????

13 hours ago, Davster123 said:

Do you think this plan is OK or do I need to get the 60 day VISA for Thailand before I travel?

If so then how do I get this - we currently live in Javea, Spain and we won't be in UK long enough to get this sorted out there?

5 hours ago, pumpjack said:

why dont you just apply for a double entry visa now in  london ?????????????

Maybe because there is no such thing?  He can get a sgl-entry visa, or a multi-entry visa (which requires significantly more documentation and costs more).

If he gets the SE tourist visa (good for 60d), he could get a re-entry permit when leaving for PP, come back to BKK with it, and then get a 30d extension to carry him thru to his ultimate departure in SEP.

If he's willing to deal with the multi-entry visa application reqts & expense, that's all he needs as far as Thailand is concerned, as it's good for six months.  Personally, I'd go the SETV, re-entry permit, 30d ext route.  Either way, nothing to have to do in PP.

'Not sure what any particular embassy in one's home country specifically might be requiring for supporting docs for the METV, but maybe they want an itinerary which would include the details & flight confirmations for the Cambo travel as well as the London-BKK flts.

Edited by hawker9000

29 minutes ago, just.a.thought said:

You can get the visa at the Thai embassy in Madrid,the procedure is explained on their website,if I remember correctly.

Agree that this would be the most practical course of action in his case. But the info (in Spanish) on their website at http://www.thaiembassy.org/madrid/en/services/19412-Visa.htm appears sketchy at best.

OP - unless your passport is full of recent Thai Visas, getting one in Phnom Penh is easy.  For about $10 extra, an agent will take your passport to the consulate, and pick it up with the new visa 2 or 3 working-days later.  Proof of your "out of Thailand" ticket should be all that is required - worst-case, a printout of a recent bank-statement showing more than 20K Baht worth on-deposit (though I doubt it, if you have not been in Thailand, frequently). The agent-cost is not much more than the cost of tuk-tuks to the Embassy and back. 

Edited by JackThompson

14 hours ago, Essecola said:

Seems the info in Phnom Penh is inconsistent. I was there last month and the agency I spoke with insisted I would need to include a bank statement if I were to apply. Phnom Penh wasn't the only city on my itinerary anyway and I got a tourist visa later from a Thai embassy in another country. However some people reported other agents in PP only needing the flight ticket in order to get a tourist visa. (by the way.. "Tuk tuk, sir? You want tuk tuk?" )

I'm gonna get a T-shirt made before I ever go back to Phnom Penh with writing on the front saying " No ! I don't want a tuk tuk !"  

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Agree that this would be the most practical course of action in his case. But the info (in Spanish) on their website at http://www.thaiembassy.org/madrid/en/services/19412-Visa.htm appears sketchy at best.

This should be the link to the visa application form in English http://www.thaiembassy.org/madrid/contents/files/services-20130624-221131-355863.pdf