Beach Road crosswalks repainted

Rimmer

If laws were just enforced.

Great rules but no enforcement. 

So the big discussion should be. Why no enforcement? Easy answer for some. More importantly, how to get the system of enforcement in place. 

A powerful, clever and very driven person is needed.

I'm none of those so can't help. Sorry.

this is very personal for me and my family and my friends 2 of which, in wheel chairs....4 years ago when they widened beach rd and created the ''freeway menality''..and the disgusting tour bus arrived.shortley after they completed bechrd/freeway..they made speed bumps,shortley after the speed bumps were completed , a speeding thai boy(late for work)lost control of his scooter and hit a tree a media blitz ensued andthe speed bumps were shaved down to vertaully nothing,the freeway mentalit resumed..they spent millions on xwalk lighting which, was worse as it gave tourists a false sense of safety ..now they paint the lines...stop this insanity...you have built a freeway next to the beach..this freeway is just a road to all that use it...no one cares about touists and babys and elderly...you cant bring 4 lanes of speeding traffic to a screeching halt for a fmilly to cross...its insanity...

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

this is very personal for me and my family and my friends 2 of which, in wheel chairs....4 years ago when they widened beach rd and created the ''freeway menality''..and the disgusting tour bus arrived.shortley after they completed bechrd/freeway..they made speed bumps,shortley after the speed bumps were completed , a speeding thai boy(late for work)lost control of his scooter and hit a tree a media blitz ensued andthe speed bumps were shaved down to vertaully nothing,the freeway mentalit resumed..they spent millions on xwalk lighting which, was worse as it gave tourists a false sense of safety ..now they paint the lines...stop this insanity...you have built a freeway next to the beach..this freeway is just a road to all that use it...no one cares about touists and babys and elderly...you cant bring 4 lanes of speeding traffic to a screeching halt for a fmilly to cross...its insanity...

I agree it should be max 2 lanes.

one for cars and one for bht busses

parking of any vehicle not allowed.

widen pavements on both side for pedestrians.

it would really make it much more natural then how it is looking now and there is some chance to cross it for pedestrians.

6 hours ago, mok199 said:

Indeed, If they cared there would be pedestrian overpasses .Only safe crossing in this country. But you can take this tour business to your advantage for crossing Beach rd :

Position yourself about 100 m downstream from a major tour group caravan crossing and Beach rd is empty for you.

Crossings can be safe only  if you are not in a hurry.

Edited by morrobay

Very well said. Being in Pattaya for a month I walk beach Rd every day.

What's really scary are the Chinese tourist buses doing 70 to 80 kmph right up untill they are forced to slow down near walking St.

It will take a bus to wipe out a family and then they will put the speed bumps back in. That's how logic works around here

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I agree it should be max 2 lanes.

one for cars and one for bht busses

parking of any vehicle not allowed.

widen pavements on both side for pedestrians.

it would really make it much more natural then how it is looking now and there is some chance to cross it for pedestrians.

I disagree with you, for safety reasons the lanes should be cut down to only one lane max. Then every 2 minutes there should be a concrete barrier that automatically slides from one side of the road to the other side to block all the traffic so pedestrians can cross safely. After 30 seconds the barrier will automatically retract and cars will be able to go again.

4 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

Ive seen, heard then seen, tourists have their lives destroyed on those crossings. perhaps the  hospitals pay for the paint. any normal society would remove those crossings. people are seriously injured on them daily.

That's why I think my idea about one lane max for cars and an automatic sliding oncrete barrier every 2 mins to block off the traffic is the safest for pedestrians. It must be implemented immediately to save lives.

Max One lane is okay..install more zebras crossings with speed hill bumbs, make it a 30 km zone.each vehicle that not stops for pedestrians on zebras fine them a 1000 bht on the spot.Now in how many days would the problem been turn around?Next do same at Theprasit.

Absolutely no traffic law enforcement on Beach Road, other than the 4-5 bib's flagging down farlang motorbike drivers in front of the Pattaya Police Station.  I actually see them writing tickets sometimes.  At least they're stopping traffic for the pedestrians trying to cross there also.

There's no fear of the law here nor is there any respect.  Heck the locals have no idea or do they care that when the red light comes on at a crosswalk light you must stop and wait.  With no traffic enforcement comes the achievement of being one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive and the #1 most deadly place in the world to drive a motorbike.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Max One lane is okay..install more zebras crossings with speed hill bumbs, make it a 30 km zone.each vehicle that not stops for pedestrians on zebras fine them a 1000 bht on the spot.Now in how many days would the problem been turn around?Next do same at Theprasit.

Glad you like my one lane for traffic only idea. You can be the designated person in charge of setting up a Change.org online petition and presenting it to the Thai officials in power. You've got my blessings for this project. Once you have set up the Change.org online petition let us all know the URL.

Edited by bbi1

On 6/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, mercman24 said:

the very first thing tourists should have printed on their landing card is. DO NOT CROSS ON A ZEBRA CROSSING. Thais do not STOP, you will be KILLED

THEY are NOT taught what a zebra crossing is for and who has the right of way unlike the people of the UK.....pedestrians have the RIGHT of way on a zebra Thai drivers totally ignore this !!!!!!!!!! But what CAN WE DO ???

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

who will be there to fine them 1000k not enough coppers to enforce ....good idea though perhaps cctv on zebras should be installed to catch drivers who DO NOT COMPLY to allowing pedestrians to cross safely on zebras ???

5 hours ago, garbolino said:

to ensure safety SUBWAYS should be made all along beach road then all would be safe getting from one side to the other.....same on second road and third road too

I object that only SUBWAYS should be made all along Beach Rd. You seem to be a Subway Fanboy. I would like to see not only Subway all along Beach Rd but also mixed up with McDonalds & Burger King, that way it can be know as the "go to" junk food road. Maybe they can just alternate them from the beginning till the end of Beach Rd and get rid of the other shops.

45 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I object that only SUBWAYS should be made all along Beach Rd. You seem to be a Subway Fanboy. I would like to see not only Subway all along Beach Rd but also mixed up with McDonalds & Burger King, that way it can be know as the "go to" junk food road. Maybe they can just alternate them from the beginning till the end of Beach Rd and get rid of the other shops.

Maybe we can eat subways in the planned Tram?

I thought I had seen almost everything on the roads here, after driving tens of thousands of kilometres, all around the country.

But last week, whilst waiting on the right hand side of a crowd of people waiting to use the crossing opposite Pattaya police station, a pickup truck swerved off the road onto the footpath, without breaking or any indication, missing me by literally a hand span.

Is it ironic that the driver used the nicely painted crossing as a convenient way to mount the footpath, before navigating at speed between two palm trees. As expected the pickup stopped just across from Central Festival and started loading things from the beach onto the back of the pickup.

I could only imagine how the official news on TV would read with witnesses seeing me jump out in front of the truck, for the usual farang reasons, with the pickup driver swerving in an attempt to avoid me causing them to mount the footpath. Case closed.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:02 PM, johng said:

The traffic didn't stop for lights at the zebra crossings unless there was a police man there that jumped out waving hands and loudly blowing a whistle ! after about a week the police disappeared then lights and zebras completely ignored

Maybe what they should try is those pop up out of the ground barriers that are sometimes used at train crossings...some of the youtube video of them show there very effective at preventing vehicles from passing, though they will need ambulance and tow truck crew on permanent standby to deal with the carnage :blink:
So maybe get plod with whistle back
or hire some "lolipop ladies"
surely no one would run over an elder lady dressed in dayglow outfit.

1497589317613.jpg

Not true, they stopped for the red lights, but once the people crossed they started again. I used them all the time when they worked.

However, it would be better if cops were posted there so they actually did some work.

On 16/06/2017 at 4:53 AM, Briggsy said:

Over the last 4 or 5 years, this has become a real craze in Thailand; multi-coloured road surfaces with multiple markings that nobody pays the slightest attention to. They are crazy about it, especially in Chonburi.

My personal favourites are (in no particular order)

1. The rumble strips.

2. The high grip surface. These are usually brick coloured.

3. Bus stops. Yes, bus stops! They again are brick coloured with attractive white or yellow edging.

4. Speed limits painted on the road. They look great.

All completely ignored

There are many more. The article pinpoints another kind. I don't like these as they tend to lead rear end collisions and, worse, dead tourists. There have been a number of incidents. Not funny that.

Sadly the education system fails to inform would be users of the road what all these painted lines and signs mean