Quick thinking neighbor saves lives from disco inferno

Rimmer

Quick thinking neighbor saves lives from disco inferno

1246Fire-engulfs.jpg

PATTAYA:--Sparks from a welding torch are being blamed for the fire that destroyed a popular North Pattaya Thai disco.

Five people suffered smoke inhalation – but were saved from more-serious injury by a fast-thinking bystander – when flames raged through the Muze pub on Phettrakul Road around 5 p.m. June 12. An employee of nearby Jameson’s restaurant ran into the burning building with a hammer and broke up a jammed service door to free several trapped workers.

“I could see the smoke billowing from the building and I could hear screams above the roar of the flames,” said Wanchai Pingate. “I knew something had to be done, so I grabbed my hammer and headed into the smoke following the noise. When I got there, I could make out that the door was jammed, so I swung with all my might with the hammer. The door smashed open and we all ran for our lives.”

A nearby apartment building and hotel were evacuated and ten fire trucks raced to contain the fire, which they did in 90 minutes, after which the roof collapsed. Firefighters broke down a wall at that point and extinguished the flames inside.

The 300-sq.-meter building was declared a total loss. Damage was estimated at 10 million baht.

Muze management released a statement which stated, in part, “To property owners and others surrounding the pub, we will be responsible for all costs and damage.”

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/quick-thinking-neighbor-saves-lives-disco-inferno-177653

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-06-16