Foreigners Marrying in Thailand

MyFriend You

Pardon the "a friend told me" but it s just that,  he tld me about a guy that was having problems getting married in Vietnam (palms out by every desk he went too, but he wouldn't bite) so he & his perspective bride came to Thailand and got married and it was registered as a "Marraige"   he went back to Vietnam and the marraige was recognized by the Government - cut thru months of red tape.  Does anyone know if this is even possible in Thailand, two foreigners getting married in say Bangkok and having the documents  registered in their perspective Embassies??  and if so, what would the requirements be.  I am sure as a minimum ,a affidavit that they are eligible to marry, e.g.,  certificate showing they are not currently married and or in a contested divorce.

I am asking here before going to the Vietnamese Embassy, who are not very forthcoming with information outside applying for tourist visa's.   Thanx in Advance.

Two foreigners can get married in Thailand, in that case you both need to get an affirmation of freedom to get married from you respective embassies and are well advised to choose an amphur in Bangkok where they are used to foreigners getting married, such as Bang Rak.

The requirements for the freedom to get married letter depends on your embassy.

How to register the marriage with the Vietnamese authorities depends on the rules of Vietnam. Maybe it can be done at the embassy, maybe you have to register it in Vietnam itself.

On 6/19/2017 at 1:28 PM, Preacher said:

Two foreigners can get married in Thailand, in that case you both need to get an affirmation of freedom to get married from you respective embassies and are well advised to choose an amphur in Bangkok where they are used to foreigners getting married, such as Bang Rak.

The requirements for the freedom to get married letter depends on your embassy.

How to register the marriage with the Vietnamese authorities depends on the rules of Vietnam. Maybe it can be done at the embassy, maybe you have to register it in Vietnam itself.

Thank You for the reply...........so it appears it is possible.   

Hi TunnelRat69

I talked with "Jit" from Legally Married in Thailand and she told me that it is no longer possible for a Vietnam national to come to marry in Thailand and get it done as the Vietnam embassy here in Thailand will no longer issue the needed document. So they can not get legally married here.  It was possible last year but not possible at present. 

It is also not possible for Cambodian, mainland Chinese and Indian without a work permit or student Visas. Yet for most nationalities it is possible 

8 hours ago, riclag said:

I just got my finalized divorce decree absolute in the states.This is all I need to prove I'm single right?The Mrs said I need a paper that says I'm single too..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1.  Use that to get a divorce affidavit from your embassy (or the Chiang Mai consulate).

2.  get the affidavit translated.

3.  get the translation legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

1.  Use that to get a divorce affidavit from your embassy (or the Chiang Mai consulate).
3.  get the translation legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/06/2017 at 8:28 AM, northernboy said:

Hi TunnelRat69

I talked with "Jit" from Legally Married in Thailand and she told me that it is no longer possible for a Vietnam national to come to marry in Thailand and get it done as the Vietnam embassy here in Thailand will no longer issue the needed document. So they can not get legally married here.  It was possible last year but not possible at present. 

It is also not possible for Cambodian, mainland Chinese and Indian without a work permit or student Visas. Yet for most nationalities it is possible 

Any idea on Phillipine nationality for one of the partners ?

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2017 at 1:55 AM, Upnotover said:

Yes and No.

The affidavit for the right to marry is fine.

Some amphurs insist that you have a certified translation of your passport, then legalized by MFA.

This is a problem, since the US embassy will not certify any document issued in the US. I know this from bitter experience. They will issue you an affidavit that it's true, but, in my case at least MFA weren't buying it

Resort to paying someone off, which was my solution. I'd been in Thailand almost a decade, you get used to it!

Archived