Dog Harnesses - Word of Caution

I arrived back to Phits on the last flight yesterday. As the wife was driving me home she mentioned that the daughter (and her boyfriend) couldn't take the dogs out for a walk because one of the leads had broken.

Bit of a surprise as I have been using the same leads for years with no problem, never had a failure. These are quick release leashes that only take a small amount of pressure to release, however when there is strain, there is no way they will open. As said, never had a failure.

Picture-01.jpg.acae13b0c03cb2606bbd7f5c09f421e7.jpg

Anyway, something lost in translation, there was nothing wrong with the leashes.

With the exception of training or taking the dogs out into busy environments, I always have used harnesses with my dogs when taking them for regular walks. I will hold my hands up that I let them lead on walks, ie, walk in front of me, and the harnesses are more comfortable for them as they obviously don't apply pressure to the neck. Thought I'd explain that before moving on. Here is a picture of the harness in question, this has been used daily for the last 7 months. All the stitching is in good shape, the plastic buckles have a strong lock and the velcro for the chest restraint is in good condition. The problem is with the D ring where the leash attaches...............

Picture-02.jpg.409bac9f48a0ff4588a21cd2622eb515.jpg

Picture-03.jpg.201e8b8c7d5f7e8356ce090cfa623e4f.jpg

Picture-04.jpg.ae6480aaf66daa6225425e871a593952.jpg

I was shocked to say the least and still don't quite understand how that happened. The dog was not (and never has been) tied up, this happened while on the leash. Investigation underway!

So, just a heads up for those dog owners out there who use harnesses, just to be on the safe side check your equipment every now and again before something like this potentually happens.

resized_Kahlua-01_Harnessc.jpg.c6504498b6fead36a6747f5993adec60.jpg

You can just see the husky hiding on the other side of Kahlua, the red square is where the damage happened.

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, amirravon said:

You get what you paid. Try Truelove on Lazada3050_FRH_Orange_R_500_1024x1024.jpg.887e6eed3b4e57e1d41b2ed6724ee917.jpg

That is so true. The particular harness where the D ring straightened was actually got from Lazada, the first (and last) harness I have bought here. That said, the body of the harness and all the stitching are all fine. My preferred purchase site is:

https://www.dog-harness-store.com/?zenid=240322dd131755411a31ab0a795f2129

And again I prefer light weight tracking harness rather than the heavier type you have shown above, especially when the dogs are exercising in the heat over here.

Archived