Netflix VS GoMovies VS Putlocker VS YouTube, Etc

Stubby

Hi Folks,

I wonder if any of you tech and legal gurus can help on issues about online streaming (TV and Movies). I know about Netflix, but there also seems to be a growing number of sites that offer free global TV and movies. They have a few annoying ads to jump over, but once the program or movie starts the viewing is fine. I've been watching the occasional TV series for a few weeks now.

THE LEGAL ANGLE

So I was wondering about the legalities of this. Here's what I found for Putlocker (it's a similar message for other sites):

"Putlocker is a legal service. Streaming this content is not illegal to you as the end user. At least not yet... As long as you aren't distributing copyrighted content, or downloading it…"

WHY THIS POST?

Well, I got talking to a fella (foreigner) at the market yesterday who said he used to work in law. He said streaming this content is totally illegal in Thailand. He also said the authorities monitor user activity very closely. He told me anyone who streams TV programs or movies online risks very heavy fines. Is he right or full of hot air? And if these sites are really illegal—despite their claims to the contrary—why don't the authorities simply block them?

WHAT ABOUT YOUTUBE?

And what about YouTube, which has been around forever? I mean, there are lots of TV and movies uploaded to YouTube as well. The streaming isn't as smooth as GoMovies or Putlocker, and the quality isn't usually as good. Even so, it's the same principle—isn't it?

If the bloke at the market was right, then I'll stop. But if anyone here knows something to the contrary, please post your remarks.

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

Well whatever they say ... downstreaming is the same as downloading so completely illegal. There are idiots that think streaming doesn't use your hard disk.

But I dont think Big Thai Brother isnt anytime soon on a witchhunt.

Choosing between legal and illegal services is more of a morality issue.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, sniffdog said:

Well whatever they say ... downstreaming is the same as downloading so completely illegal. There are idiots that think streaming doesn't use your hard disk.

But I dont think Big Thai Brother isnt anytime soon on a witchhunt.

Choosing between legal and illegal services is more of a morality issue.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sniffdog, so it looks as though they're misquoting international laws on streaming then. I'm surprised at YouTube in this case. You'd think they at least would have measures in place to stop it.

Thanks Sniffdog, so it looks as though they're misquoting international laws on streaming then. I'm surprised at YouTube in this case. You'd think they at least would have measures in place to stop it.

YouTube do block illegal content one they have been notified of said content being illegal.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, sniffdog said:

While the harddisk is used for building the buffer, it does not save the data nor can you re-distribute it.

In my home country (Europe) it is not-illegal to watch streaming or even to download, as only the distribution is illegal (many torrent sites upload and download at the same time making it illegal).

Besides the question if it is legal or not, I doubt "they" actually monitor who watches what and will take action on it.

There have been some cases where people got fined millions, but maybe around a billion people download and less than 100 got fined.

Edited by Bob12345
spelling error

Netflix, iFlix, YouTube and those local ones provided by AIS and 3BB are all fine and legal in Thailand. Never heard of those others you mention. I would be careful of foreigners you meet in a market who say they used to work in law. Take them with a grain of salt.

Oh I just looked up Gomovies. Definately illegal because they are showing pirated movies (movies filmed with Camcorders such as Wonder Woman, Mummy, Baywatch etc.).  

Also just got an attempted browser attack/intrusion from their site.

Edited by RBOP

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I don't think kodi offers movies and TV - does it?

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Addons to kodi do. Kodi itself is just a media player, all the content comes from 3rd parties, which may be legal or pirated.

56 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

What about Kodi?

Kodi is a 100% legal media platform, which has no contents at all of its own.

Through Kodi you access and view content on your home server, or content made available online by third party providers.

These providers can make content that is illegal to be distributed available, and those providers are engaging in illegal activities that are punishable by law, but that doesn't make Kodi as a media player illegal.

Streaming illegal content is as illegal as downloading it, the difference is that with streaming they have to catch you red handed, while with downloading they can still find the content on your HDD if they want to make an issue of it.( which will only happen rarely).

Of course they can always trace that you connected to an IP address that provided those illegal streams, but it is not illegal to connect to an IP address freely available on the WWW.

If you use torrents to download illegal content you are at the same time sharing that content with other torrent users on the web, which makes you a provider of illegal content, and this can easily be proven if they want.

Edited by janclaes47

14 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Kodi is a 100% legal media platform, which has no contents at all of its own.

Through Kodi you access and view content on your home server, or content made available online by third party providers.

These providers can make content that is illegal to be distributed available, and those providers are engaging in illegal activities that are punishable by law, but that doesn't make Kodi as a media player illegal.

Streaming illegal content is as illegal as downloading it, the difference is that with streaming they have to catch you red handed, while with downloading they can still find the content on your HDD if they want to make an issue of it.( which will only happen rarely).

Of course they can always trace that you connected to an IP address that provided those illegal streams, but it is not illegal to connect to an IP address freely available on the WWW.

If you use torrents to download illegal content you are at the same time sharing that content with other torrent users on the web, which makes you a provider of illegal content, and this can easily be proven if they want.

Thank you.. much appreciated..

6 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Is your question about legalities ... getting caught doing something illegal ... or is your question about content?

Both really. I mean, these are not secret sites that you have to apply for or pay a membership . They're all over the place, and any simple search gives you a plethora of similar platforms from where to watch movies and TV. When something seems to good to be true, it usually is, I guess. It's just that these sites aren't hiding from anyone, and openly invite advertisers to contact them direct.

Anyway, from what I've read here, and the bloke's comments at the market, I'm guessing it's Netflix or nothing.

Stubby

6 hours ago, Beats56 said:

I use netflix and recently d/l the Game of Thrones on Google movies. I paid for that and the Netflix subscription. Total legal. Sure is cheaper than any cable company.

I've had a look at Netflix but they seem more movie orientated than anything. Do you know of a legal service that has lots of TV series, old and new? I enjoy a good movie, but I prefer to get into a good drama series if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Stubby 

I recently stayed with a friend who had Netflix, my first experience in many tears from when their business was delivering Movies on DVD by postal service. It took some time to get used to navigation of their menus, but I then found a good number of TV series. Some of these were old favorites and others were new discoveries including Japanese and Korean, ranging from food, travel, action, comedy and of course the "dramas" [emoji5]️

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, tf6122 said:

I recently stayed with a friend who had Netflix, my first experience in many tears from when their business was delivering Movies on DVD by postal service. It took some time to get used to navigation of their menus, but I then found a good number of TV series. Some of these were old favorites and others were new discoveries including Japanese and Korean, ranging from food, travel, action, comedy and of course the "dramas" emoji5.png

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks, I think I'll give it a look then. There's a one-month free trial so nothing to loose. Just hope my WiFi will cope with the HD :)

Stubby

19 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Look what I just came across. Anyone have experience with this little beaut or is it another of those "too good to be true" offers?

https://zoomtak.asia/

Stubby

...not too good t be true.. but an expensive box.. 4.000 BT ..here in Thailand... I just checked your link.. $129 US.. if you can get it from the US a good buy..  I've been looking at this one .. good reviews..  http://androidpcreview.com/zoomtak-t8-plus-review/4596/

8 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...not too good t be true.. but an expensive box.. 4.000 BT ..here in Thailand... I just checked your link.. $129 US.. if you can get it from the US a good buy..  I've been looking at this one .. good reviews..  http://androidpcreview.com/zoomtak-t8-plus-review/4596/

I found this site with a Zoomtak T8 Plus 2 for 3,790 Bt..  ($151 AU)..  there are cheaper streaming boxes on Lazada but this one sounds like top of the line... would be good to hear from someone who has one...

http://www.androidtvboxthai.com/shop/android-tv-box/zoomtak-t8-plus2/

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I found this site with a Zoomtak T8 Plus 2 for 3,790 Bt..  ($151 AU)..  there are cheaper streaming boxes on Lazada but this one sounds like top of the line... would be good to hear from someone who has one...

Still confused as to where all the free movies and TV is coming from though?

Stubby

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Stubby

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Stubby

Zoomtak comes loaded with Kodi which is a streaming service.. see the answer to my question about Kodi above... :-)

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

Zoomtak comes loaded with Kodi which is a streaming service.. see the answer to my question about Kodi above... :-)

Kodi is not a streaming service, it is a free media player in which 3rd party addons can be loaded, which will allow you to connect to services that stream copyrighted content.

The Zoomtak will be provided with a fully loaded Kodi, which is not allowed any more in Thailand, but it will be useless as well because it will be a standard setup  and not work any more for the reason explained in the thread below.

If you look for Kodi there are far cheaper and better options available than a Zoomtak.

Edited by janclaes47

There are hucksters in Thailand, generally in Facebook groups, selling similar "Free TV" boxes for as much as 10, 000 baht. They are just taking advantage of people who aren't familiar with that type of product - there's no need to spend more than about 2000 baht for an Android box. Even the free Android box that AIS gives you when you sign up for AIS Fibre can be configured to do all the things that those premium priced "Free TV" boxes can do.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Kodi is not a streaming service, it is a free media player in which 3rd party addons can be loaded, which will allow you to connect to services that stream copyrighted content.

The Zoomtak will be provided with a fully loaded Kodi, which is not allowed any more in Thailand, but it will be useless as well because it will be a standard setup  and not work any more for the reason explained in the thread below.

If you look for Kodi there are far cheaper and better options available than a Zoomtak.

So what is the alternative?... Netflix?

Just now, Laza 45 said:

So what is the alternative?... Netflix?

You can setup Kodi yourself or ask someone to do it for you.

Don't rely on the preloaded boxes, because with the current situation they will out of date already.

Of course you can also go for Netflix, if you want to pay every month for a limited selection.