Thais being scared to use Uber?

wump

52 minutes ago, anto said:

How can that scam work  ? In Chiang mai Uber quote you a price from  your first application .Price varies with time of day ,but you see the price before the taxi arrives .

The price they quote you when you order an Uber car is only an estimate. The price that they charge you, after your trip is finished, is a combination of actual distance and time, plus a fixed fee. The little scam by the driver consists in passing your actual location without picking you up (feigning not to see you), then driving somewhere in a big circle and coming back to your location, picking you up and charging you for the whole trip (distance, time and fee) since first passing your location. You can see it later on the map that comes with your bill. The big circle the driver drove, without you in the car,  is part of the price they charge you.

As I said, this happened to me twice in a short time, with different drivers, different pick-up locations and different destinations. The first time they overcharged me for a little over 30 baht and reimbursed me when I protested, the second time the overcharge was 25 or 30 baht, but I was tired of sending them a protest email for such a small amount. I simply decided not to use Uber anymore

I also have a personal, ethical issue with a giant US corporation (which is not even a profitable business, Uber makes enormous losses) disrupting local transportation industries worldwide, with a total disdain for local and national laws and regulations. I observe the same situation in France and in other European countries, where taxi drivers become more and more agressive in their resistance against the illegal encroachments by Uber.

Uber, imo, is just another typical example of American arrogance and blatant disregard for the laws, regulations and business structures of other countries. Uber will go down the drain financially, the losses which they are accumulating will not be accepted by their shareholders forever,  and the resistance movements organized by local taxis and other transportation businesses will only become more virulent over time, not only in Thailand, but everywhere else as well. 

These little scams used by the local Uber drivers are also an indication that their "business model" is falling apart. They simply do not pay their drivers enough money, and they basically force them to use such scams to make ends meet. There are only victims in this whole Uber enterprise - the local taxis, the Uber drivers and the Uber shareholders. The only ones who made money out of this giant scam are the  "genius" who "invented" it,  and his accomplices.

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Hi There...I was not aware if the issue in racketing farang passengers in a taxi, when the vehicle is involved in an accident....Thailand is becoming a real rogue country it would seem and looks that a farang needs to watch his back and his cash 24/7 to avoid getting ripped off by the Thai's??!!....not a very pleasent social climate to be around despite the great food and beauty of the scenery????....about time the boys in the military realy start to clean things up and enforce a change of mentalities???

Why would any passenger regardless of thai or farang get stung for any amount of money if there is an accident involving the taxi your in. Fairy tale time again i expect.

You might have a point if you're staying in Bangkok. In Pattaya, Uber is a blessing. Been on the phone with a driver today and been instantly called out by the taxi mafia if I am ordering an Uber. Crooks. Whatever it takes, they need to be gone.

I am using Grab about twice a day in Pattaya. No bad experience at all. Can even program 3 stops, when I want them to pickup friends in hotel before pick me up at my condo. Great people and great service ...up to now at least ! Don't know about Uber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, wump said:

Bangkok: Grabtaxi: Normal taxis with a bit of comfort.

Pattaya: Before the introduction of Uber Grab had mafia pricing and only used mafia taxis. Now they lowered the prices and even offer private cars like Uber (called GrabCar). You can choose between mafia taxis and private cars. The taxis booked via the app are about 20-50% cheaper than negotiating on the road. GrabCar saves you a further 20%. 

I didn't say I use Grab Taxi, I use a Grab Car.

How many taxis do you see using a Fortuner?

Edited by TonyClifton

Exactly the same as Uber then. Size of the car is a bit of a hit and miss though. Sometimes you get a Honda Jazz, sometimes a Fortuner. You can see the kind of vehicle when booking though.

Off-topic: Plenty of Fortunter taxis in Pattaya.

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Why would any passenger regardless of thai or farang get stung for any amount of money if there is an accident involving the taxi your in. Fairy tale time again i expect.

hard to say my dear fellow....was solely referring to some posts read here...up to you to consider if it's true or from Disneyland:cheesy:

15 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Bro, you have absolutely no idea do you? Grab Taxi ARE taxi drivers. You are getting inside a regular taxi. I've gotten into many taxis then I see the Grab Taxi thing promoted all over the inside of their taxis.

Where do they teach logic in Thailand? Let me know if you find a course somewhere.  I'll advertise it on my webpages.

Was my English too complex?  

We have Grab Taxi.  

We have Grab Car.

There are many variations of Grab.  

So here is some logic for you: When you call a grab taxi, a taxi will come get you.  When you call a grab car, a private car with private driver will come for you.

Got it?

Edited by TonyClifton

5 hours ago, Bonefish said:

The price they quote you when you order an Uber car is only an estimate. The price that they charge you, after your trip is finished, is a combination of actual distance and time, plus a fixed fee. The little scam by the driver consists in passing your actual location without picking you up (feigning not to see you), then driving somewhere in a big circle and coming back to your location, picking you up and charging you for the whole trip (distance, time and fee) since first passing your location. You can see it later on the map that comes with your bill. The big circle the driver drove, without you in the car,  is part of the price they charge you.

As I said, this happened to me twice in a short time, with different drivers, different pick-up locations and different destinations. The first time they overcharged me for a little over 30 baht and reimbursed me when I protested, the second time the overcharge was 25 or 30 baht, but I was tired of sending them a protest email for such a small amount. I simply decided not to use Uber anymore

I also have a personal, ethical issue with a giant US corporation (which is not even a profitable business, Uber makes enormous losses) disrupting local transportation industries worldwide, with a total disdain for local and national laws and regulations. I observe the same situation in France and in other European countries, where taxi drivers become more and more agressive in their resistance against the illegal encroachments by Uber.

Uber, imo, is just another typical example of American arrogance and blatant disregard for the laws, regulations and business structures of other countries. Uber will go down the drain financially, the losses which they are accumulating will not be accepted by their shareholders forever,  and the resistance movements organized by local taxis and other transportation businesses will only become more virulent over time, not only in Thailand, but everywhere else as well. 

These little scams used by the local Uber drivers are also an indication that their "business model" is falling apart. They simply do not pay their drivers enough money, and they basically force them to use such scams to make ends meet. There are only victims in this whole Uber enterprise - the local taxis, the Uber drivers and the Uber shareholders. The only ones who made money out of this giant scam are the  "genius" who "invented" it,  and his accomplices.

Good to know, but I never used Uber here.  Grab price is fixed, even if the driver screws up.  I order, I enter car, I leave car at my destination, and I pay nothing.  It all goes automatically to my credit card.

6 hours ago, Bonefish said:

what to do in that case against the regular thai taxi drivers who cheat and refuse to turn the meter on?...

one could obviously try another and yet another official taxi until you get one that accepts the meter, but that would be quite exhausting and not be a guarantee that the driver won't try to cheat in taking longer routes if the trafic enables of course....

On 2017-6-19 at 0:05 PM, observer90210 said:

Hi There...I was not aware if the issue in racketing farang passengers in a taxi, when the vehicle is involved in an accident....Thailand is becoming a real rogue country it would seem and looks that a farang needs to watch his back and his cash 24/7 to avoid getting ripped off by the Thai's??!!....not a very pleasent social climate to be around despite the great food and beauty of the scenery????....about time the boys in the military realy start to clean things up and enforce a change of mentalities???

Your not aware of it because it rarely happens.

14 hours ago, observer90210 said:

what to do in that case against the regular thai taxi drivers who cheat and refuse to turn the meter on?...

one could obviously try another and yet another official taxi until you get one that accepts the meter, but that would be quite exhausting and not be a guarantee that the driver won't try to cheat in taking longer routes if the trafic enables of course....

You must be unfit,you just stand in one spot and taxi come to to you.Don't be ripped off.

On 6/18/2017 at 9:00 PM, Chou Anou said:

Ha!  I wouldn't be too sure about that "not hurting the passenger" idea, especially if the passenger is a farang.  Everyday Thais will often try to collect damages from a farang passenger in a taxi that's involved in an accident with their car (that's why, in case the taxi you're in ever has an accident, you throw a few hundred baht at the driver and get the hell out of there, FAST)...so why would the mafia hesitate at injuring a farang passenger in a taxi encroaching on their territory?

Anyway, Uber is not long for this world...they're taking a real publicity beating in the US right now for their unfair treatment of drivers, sexist comments by board members, and high incidence of drivers raping passengers.

Where do you get this utter tosh from ?...  it seems that some guys must be walking around in perpetual fear of Thai's at all times.

If you are in a Taxi which is involved in an accident, regardless of what you heard in your local beer bar you are not at fault, you cannot be blamed, you do not have to or need to pay anything other than the meter rate shown. Alternatively, if you have a pre-agreed fare just pay that or a reasonable amount for however much you have travelled (i.e. 50% etc).

There is no way you can be blamed for the accident if you are passenger, to think so is idiotic and if someone has paid under such circumstances they are so wet behind the ears they are also getting shafted and scammed in every other aspect of their life.

Anyway - Back on Topic: I don't think anyone is scared of using UBER. So far there is no precedent of attacks on passengers which could happen but it hasn't so far and until it does the assumption is that UBER is perfectly safe for a passenger, Thai or Western.

You mentioned 'high incidence of UBER drivers raping a passenger'. Yes, this has happened in various countries. Is this 'high incidence' any greater than regular taxi's ? 

While I'm not trying to defend UBER I do see your comments as quite bias against UBER which in balance offers a great service and most importantly dual accountability for everyone who uses the service both passengers and drivers are registered so any criminal activity can be readily traced. 

Edited by richard_smith237

43 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

You must be unfit,you just stand in one spot and taxi come to to you.Don't be ripped off.

well..if you enjoy standing under the rain, the heat and breathe the lovely air of Bangkok, your nose must be blocked!!....:stoner:..

I rather get UBER or GRAB and things are clear from start...

22 hours ago, Bonefish said:

The examples you provide show how in Thailand it doesn't matter how careful you are 'the scams can come at you from all angles' !!... 

Without wishing to Thai bash, this is simply the way Thailand works, people here seem incredibly created in spotting or creating an angle. 

Fortunately with this UBER Scan there is a form or recourse, drivers also have to maintain a rating, so if they Scam or make questionable charges you can down vote the drivers. With this in mind the majority of drivers are courteous and professional...  The Gulf in serviced standards between UBER (& Grab) and regular taxis is huge, I suspect most of this comes from the fact of this accountability. 

UBER still active here in Pattaya , right now I can see 5 cars on my app not far away .   So they are not giving up and I believe that Uber also pay for their fines .  At least that was told me by one of the drivers.   So if the police fine them 2000 baht like they did last week  , its not enough to stop them . 

Just be careful and choose a location far away from the taxi stands.  I will support them as long as possible. 

1 minute ago, balo said:

UBER still active here in Pattaya , right now I can see 5 cars on my app not far away .   So they are not giving up and I believe that Uber also pay for their fines .  At least that was told me by one of the drivers.   So if the police fine them 2000 baht like they did last week  , its not enough to stop them . 

Just be careful and choose a location far away from the taxi stands.  I will support them as long as possible. 

Did you use them when you were living in Chiang Mai .? Also the price they quote at the beginning ,is that just an estimate ? and any add on charges ? 

I live in a suburb of Chiang mai .Have the Uber app. on my phone but have yet to use one .

2 minutes ago, anto said:

Did you use them when you were living in Chiang Mai .?

Several times, normally paid between 70 and 130 baht ,  a few months ago I received a lot of promo codes so it was even cheaper.  

14 minutes ago, balo said:

very true...we have similar issues here in my town in Europe....the local taxi crooks are trying to put pressure on the authorities and often surround Uber driven cars and try to intimidate.....but Uber still lives...just as you suggested, I also make a point to make the meeting place away from the official taxi stands, and never had a problem. 

Long live Uber and down with the worldwide taxi crooks!

53 minutes ago, balo said:

Several times, normally paid between 70 and 130 baht ,  a few months ago I received a lot of promo codes so it was even cheaper.  

Did the quoted initial price usually hold up ? I am trying to find out . If i wanted to go in now to the old City from the suburb its showing B120 and 17 minutes wait .(its now rush hour ) .

On 6/18/2017 at 9:00 PM, observer90210 said:

the regular taxis are a bunch of thieves and cheats in Thailand and quite a few countries in the world....if Uber has become a multi billion $ venture practically overnight, there is a reason for that.....long live Uber..and I will use it as long as it exists, anywhere anytime....to hell with the taxi mafia gangs...

©

Exactly! Just like the people in the UK say <deleted>/You to terorists and carry on.