Preemie mental age calc

skippybangkok

It's clear to me that if a preemie is born ie 8 weeks early, their physical size is tracked from week 40 ( ie 8 weeks after born ). So physical size of a 44 wrk old would be like ie week old

But what about mental age ?

It's clear that they start experiencing things when born ( 8 weeks early ) but the brain is still developing.

So at 48 weeks, what to expect ? Like a 2 month or 4 or somewhere in between

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Brain development is a physiological process. So in the first years  of life there will  be a lag if compared to other babies of the same age counting from birth.

In assessing a premature baby's development it is therefore best to use "corrected age" i.e. the age from birth minus the number of months premature.

Since the difference is at most one of a few months, it stops mattering past around the age of 2-3 years. But it can be noticeable in infancy when there are different "developmental milestones" almost every month.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Brain development is a physiological process. So in the first years  of life there will  be a lag if compared to other babies of the same age counting from birth.

In assessing a premature baby's development it is therefore best to use "corrected age" i.e. the age from birth minus the number of months premature.

Since the difference is at most one of a few months, it stops mattering past around the age of 2-3 years. But it can be noticeable in infancy when there are different "developmental milestones" almost every month.

Ah crap. So I can't use the excuse of being born two days early, for my not walking until being 2 years old, or wetting the bed until 7? I always assumed this must have been the reason ;-)

Cheers

I have this tracker which has a long list of things they can to at what age ie track things w eyes, hold things smile etc

Looking at them, if use their corrected age, they are super boys with super skills ( yep - twins ) , if age since birth, almost on target

Me thinks the stimulation out of womb make their brain a little ahead of their corrected age ?

Use "baby" app from sprout which has a good checklist

This is for 2 to 4 months , they already display all the competencies required for 0 to 2 months

Considering their adjusted age of 6 weeks, they are way ahead of schedule, but more or less on schedule or slightly behind if use in adjusted 13 weeks schedule

All in all good progress and glad they made it through the incubator without any issues

IMG_5337.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG