Phuket residents demand clean-up of beach rubbish

snoop1130

Phuket residents demand clean-up of beach rubbish

Eakkapop Thongtub

1497867263_1-org.jpg

Residents are demanding someone takes responsibility for clearing the rubbish. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- Residents living around Soi 4 Mai Khao in Thalang are up in arms and demanding officials take responsibility for clearing a large pile of rubbish building up at Nai Yang Beach where the runway for Phuket International Airport lies.

A large number of Thai and foreign beachgoers have also made their disappointment clear after seeing the pile of rubbish at the area of the beach renowned for plane selfies.

Some baeachgoers photographed the pile and shared them via social media.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-residents-demand-clean-up-of-beach-rubbish-62645.php#MSOBp1MKIt47p6mT.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-6-19

as they cannot throw out the locals who litter as they are in their homeland...

why not start to throw out the farang tourists who mess things up, disrespect Thai's, give other integrated farangs an awful image and think that they are in a conquered territory just due to favorable exchange rates!???..

..well..because they bring in good money!!....

4 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Why don't people demand that thais stop dumping rubbish everywhere.

the farangs could not demand as Thai's would politely invite them to mind their own business or leave..

a Thai cannot argue either, as probably he is doing same if not worse....

that leaves only the military to rule, and clean up the bad habbits...but will they??

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

as they cannot throw out the locals who litter as they are in their homeland...

why not start to throw out the farang tourists who mess things up, disrespect Thai's, give other integrated farangs an awful image and think that they are in a conquered territory just due to favorable exchange rates!???..

..well..because they bring in good money!!....

Good idea and while you are at it why not get the chip off your shoulder.

Where I live there is a market three times a week, the sheer amount of discarded packaging , litter empty drinks cartons etc is amazing, I have been to the beach and most Foreigners I see, pick up their rubbish and deposit it in bins, unfortunately Thais just get up and leave the mess behind. Thai attitude, not their property so not their problem.

First thing they can do is to place every 20-30m's a garbage and a sign who left garbage at the beach get a fine of 2.000 THB.

I saw a lot of beaches where you can run hundrets of meter without to find a garbage.

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

First thing they can do is to place every 20-30m's a garbage and a sign who left garbage at the beach get a fine of 2.000 THB.

I saw a lot of beaches where you can run hundrets of meter without to find a garbage.

Along Kata Beach road they have at last placed green garbage bins every 30m, plus penalty signs for littering. Can't remember how much, might be 3,000 baht.

This let hope that maybe something change. This problem is almost every in Thailand. You must search for a garbage bin. Sometimes you have to run some hundret of meters to find one. About this ..... no one take care.

Edited by snowgard

Down here in Nai Harn, a few of the local hotels got together and bought and placed some trash bins near the beach,  and talked to the Orbotor (I imagine paid some money) about getting them emptied daily, and the beach is much cleaner now. 
I see Thais and farangs both cleaning up the beach after whoever it is that leaves their garbage. 

(It is not always Thai people leaving it.) 
At least now people have a choice and a place to put their trash. 
Times (hopefully) are changing for the better in this regard. 

Up there in Mai Khao and Nai Yang beaches, they have enough hotels and resorts to do the same. 
Their GM's should understand that a clean beach converts to more and happier tourists. 

So, maybe they could be talked into doing the same. 

Personally, I think this should be the government's job, but I don't always understand the cultural differences here.