Ten-year retirement visa doesn’t stand up to scrutiny

37 minutes ago, trogers said:

How does this new policy compared with the Elite card?

With the elite card you kiss your money good-bye. But it's much more easier to obtain.

e.i. 1 Mil. THB gets you a 20 years Visa. Renewable every 5 years. Still you have to do 90 days reporting.

15 hours ago, Lammbock said:

With the elite card you kiss your money good-bye. But it's much more easier to obtain.

e.i. 1 Mil. THB gets you a 20 years Visa. Renewable every 5 years. Still you have to do 90 days reporting.

Actually I think it is 2M baht, unless it has changed.  Basically it is 100,000 baht/year.

Yes, very easy to get.  No bank deposit requirements, no medical insurance requirement and no police report.  You get a 1 year stamp on arrival and still have to do the 90 day reports, BUT, if live live near a Thailand Elite office, you can drop your passport off with them and they will take care of it for you.

As an added bonus you get a free limo ride to and from the airport and are walked through flight checkin, immigration and baggage claim, for outgoing and incoming international flights, but not domestic.

Forgot.  You also get an ID card, sort of.  It has your name and photo on it, plus the expiration date, and of course, Thailand Elite on it.   I have used it in a pinch when asked for ID

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

Actually I think it is 2M baht, unless it has changed.  Basically it is 100,000 baht/year.

Yes, very easy to get.  No bank deposit requirements, no medical insurance requirement and no police report.  You get a 1 year stamp on arrival and still have to do the 90 day reports, BUT, if live live near a Thailand Elite office, you can drop your passport off with them and they will take care of it for you.

As an added bonus you get a free limo ride to and from the airport and are walked through flight checkin, immigration and baggage claim, for outgoing and incoming international flights, but not domestic.

Forgot.  You also get an ID card, sort of.  It has your name and photo on it, plus the expiration date, and of course, Thailand Elite on it.   I have used it in a pinch when asked for ID

You can get 20 years for one million, but without the limo or other idiotic perks. Since mid 2016. As far as I am concerned it makes just as (un)attractive as the new 10 years scam, if I take into account the health insurance overhead, over 20 years.

Edited by Momofarang

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

I wonder why I keep getting an uneasy feeling that these new visas are in preparation for the drastic alteration in the terms of the existing 'extension of stay'at 800.000 baht in bank or 65.000 monthly income.

I fully expect these requirements to be heightened substantially to lower the numbers of expats on 'moderate incomes staying here. I hope I am misguided in my suspicion.

I think this quite possible what is going to happen. So everyone with current retirement system should keep their retirement extensions alive and if possible not to use Home country O-A visas because there might be case of old rules grandfathered and that only applies to extensions not visas.

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The health insurance requirement, specifying it must be insurance from a Thai company, is indeed almost impossible to comply with and in itself will guarantee very few people avail of this visa.

In addition it is pointless since the required level of inpatient cover is way too low to be of use and the requirement for OPD cover (which will about double the premium) is unnecessary.

If they allowed for international policies and IPD only it would be a different matter. International insurers will issue policies to older people and their lowest level of cover is usually 500,000 - 1,000,000 USD. They also are govered by the insurance regulations of the country in which they are based which usually precludes cancelling a policy because of claims or increased risk profile. The regulatory framework in Thailand allows insurers to cancel at will.

Which makes the "thing" sadly laughable, in light of the fact that immigration will be requested to verify eligibility on a yearly basis. Everything  is set up so that Farang retirees get deported because they suffered a heart attack..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Stop calling it a 10 year visa or drop the 5 year "renewal". It insults everyone's intelligence right out the door.

Drop the 90 day reporting. Issue Farangs an ID card just like Thais have with a smart chip like a ATM card that can be swiped at immigration and updated with address and phone number once a year. 

The money requirement is OK.

Then they might have some interest in this new visa.

this would probably make it a good option for many. i would still rather pay 500k upfront for the elite visa than bring 3 mill into thailand. can be tricky to get funds out of thailand and when its time to leave you dont want to deal with trying to move funds out.  i have had to deal with doing it before and it is frustrating.

It is a joke, but it is not funny.

I am a 70 year old man, and in the U.S. it is now nearly impossible to get health insurance at that age for a reasonable price.

Since Donald and his fools canceled "Obamacare"" as they call it that is out too.

Not that it ever would pay outside the U.S. anyway.

I just had a operation in February in Thailand to repair a broken bone in my left arm caused by a fall, and it cost me 200K Baht for the  operation and roughly another 100K for other associated medical and hospital expenses. I had the funds in my Thai Bank and paid the hospital In Thai Baht

I still get a U.S. Social Security pension which keeps me here in Thailand for the time being.and pays my living expenses.

How long is not known.

" wonder why I keep getting an uneasy feeling that these new visas are in preparation for the drastic alteration in the terms of the existing 'extension of stay'at 800.000 baht in bank or 65.000 monthly income.

I fully expect these requirements to be heightened substantially to lower the numbers of expats on 'moderate incomes staying here. I hope I am misguided in my suspicion."

This is my main concern about the 10 Year Visa.  The interesting parts for me are the 3 Million Bath Deposit and the need to deposit 1.8 Million Baht even with a monthly retirement income of 100,000 Baht.  Under the present requirement for the O-A Multi a monthly income of 65,000 Baht is the only thing I had to prove at the Consulate along with the police clearance and medical certificate.  In the future if the O-A requirements fall in line with the 10 year visa then I would have to find another place to live.  

Thanks Lemonltr for making this observation.  
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lammbock said:

1 Mil gets you 10 not 20 years.

35 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

It is a joke, but it is not funny.

I am a 70 year old man, and in the U.S. it is now nearly impossible to get health insurance at that age for a reasonable price.

Since Donald and his fools canceled "Obamacare"" as they call it that is out too.

Not that it ever would pay outside the U.S. anyway.

I just had a operation in February in Thailand to repair a broken bone in my left arm caused by a fall, and it cost me 200K Baht for the  operation and roughly another 100K for other associated medical and hospital expenses. I had the funds in my Thai Bank and paid the hospital In Thai Baht

I still get a U.S. Social Security pension which keeps me here in Thailand for the time being.and pays my living expenses.

How long is not known.

Americans over 65 generally go on Medicare which will continue to exist. Of course, it's useless for those living abroad.

2 hours ago, thaitero said:

I think this quite possible what is going to happen. So everyone with current retirement system should keep their retirement extensions alive and if possible not to use Home country O-A visas because there might be case of old rules grandfathered and that only applies to extensions not visas.

3 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

I wonder why I keep getting an uneasy feeling that these new visas are in preparation for the drastic alteration in the terms of the existing 'extension of stay'at 800.000 baht in bank or 65.000 monthly income.

I fully expect these requirements to be heightened substantially to lower the numbers of expats on 'moderate incomes staying here. I hope I am misguided in my suspicion.

IF as you fear they want to reduce the expats on moderate income they only have to stop the use of agents for retirement extensions.That would do the trick !

51 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Americans over 65 generally go on Medicare which will continue to exist. Of course, it's useless for those living abroad.

Not useless at all if you are retired US military eligible for Tricare for Life (TFL) and signed up prior to age 65 for Medicare Part B.  75% of all allowed overseas medical expenses get refunded to the patient, once a yearly copay of $150 per person/$300 per family is met. There is also an annual catastrophic cap of $3,000 in effect, which means that all bills beyond that cap are 100% paid.  Get one major operation done in Thailand...anything at or beyond THB 100,000 or so and you'll immediately likely meet your annual cap. It's a boon for retired military members, but there are some concerns over expected rising Part B monthly premiums ($133 at this writing) that might somewhat diminish the benefits offered by Tricare For Life depending on a retiree's financial status.  Conversely, these retirees who live within the USA (or travel there to receive medical treatment) fall wholly under Medicare rules and can experience more difficulties in finding doctors or getting certain care performed. There are fine hairs to be split in my explanation and I welcome any reader to update or correct this post. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fore Man said:

Not useless at all if you are retired US military eligible for Tricare for Life (TFL) and signed up prior to age 65 for Medicare Part B.  75% of all allowed overseas medical expenses get refunded to the patient, once a yearly copay of $150 per person/$300 per family is met. There is also an annual catastrophic cap of $3,000 in effect, which means that all bills beyond that cap are 100% paid.  Get one major operation done in Thailand...anything at or beyond THB 100,000 or so and you'll immediately likely meet your annual cap. It's a boon for retired military members, but there are some concerns over expected rising Part B monthly premiums ($133 at this writing) that might somewhat diminish the benefits offered by Tricare For Life depending on a retiree's financial status.  Conversely, these retirees who live within the USA (or travel there to receive medical treatment) fall wholly under Medicare rules and can experience more difficulties in finding doctors or getting certain care performed. There are fine hairs to be split in my explanation and I welcome any reader to update or correct this post. 

Irrelevant for non-veterans. In general Medicare is indeed USELESS for Americans living abroad. 

POLICE CLEARANCE LETTE: lt is difficult to obtain in some countries and virtually impossible if you happen to be American. 

Washington DC police will issue such a letter.  If you need / want let me know. Cost $100USD  and can be legally done while you are in Thailand in a few days

Contact me for information

• Like 2

tomorrows combined MOFA/TAT article:

New 10 Year Retirement Visa Instant Success

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has declared that the new visa is a hit with expats and retirees from other countries alike. "People are asking about it on Facebook and Line-App. We don't have enough staff to answer. It's like a flood of old people set loose!"

This is the quote from TAT: "The numbers are up."