Cambodia eyes share of Thai tourist market

geovalin

Cambodia needs more direct flights to and from destinations around the world to increase the country’s share of regional tourism, according to the State Secretariat for Civil Aviation. Sin Chansereyvutha, spokesman for the secretariat, said foreign tourists have already started travelling directly to Cambodia rather than transiting through Thailand or Vietnam, thanks to increased air connectivity in the region. 

“When Cambodia has more direct flights, Thailand will lose some of the market, but that does not mean it will harm the Thai economy and tourism,” Mr Chansereyvutha said. “There will be new airline companies to replace the losses.” Last Friday, Thai tourism industry insiders voiced concerns over the loss of income for Thailand with tourists increasingly flying directly to Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV).  

The Bangkok Post quoted tourism analysts from the Mekong region as saying that CLMV countries are becoming a more attractive destination to travellers, with greater air access and more direct flights from countries in the region, especially China.  Analysts said both low cost and full service airline companies from India, Singapore, Malaysia, the Middle East and China have started new routes and are increasing flights to these destinations.   

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39453/cambodia-eyes-share-of-thai-tourist-market/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 20/06

I don't totally agree. Those who really want to come to Cambodia are happy to transfer in BKK, KUL, SIN, SGN or wherever (KUL has so far worked best for me when flying in from the US west coast). After all, it's never been an issue for European tourists wanting to visit Indonesia and other countries in the region or Australia/New Zealand.

Anyway, the number of flights keep rising, just this year so far, ANA has started from NRT (although not really bookable via the UA website for some strange reason. Plus Emirates and Air Asia's new route to Sihnaoukville.

19 hours ago, geovalin said:

Thai tourism industry insiders voiced concerns over the loss of income for Thailand with tourists increasingly flying directly to Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV).

Of course Thailand can respond by offering flight discounts in an attempt to keep customers. But being competitive might be out of its comfort zone.

Both Cambodia and Vietnam have been dirt poor for so many years due to war and UN economic embargo.  I was in HCMC two years ago and they tried to charge me three times the local price.  I believe the Cambodians will try to do the same to me. 

I like Thailand because "most of the time" Thais only charge me 30% more. 

19 hours ago, mrdome said:

I don't totally agree. Those who really want to come to Cambodia are happy to transfer in BKK, KUL, SIN, SGN or wherever (KUL has so far worked best for me when flying in from the US west coast). After all, it's never been an issue for European tourists wanting to visit Indonesia and other countries in the region or Australia/New Zealand.

Anyway, the number of flights keep rising, just this year so far, ANA has started from NRT (although not really bookable via the UA website for some strange reason. Plus Emirates and Air Asia's new route to Sihnaoukville.

I always fly direct when I can. Unfortunately where I live (Cyprus) means that I almost always have to connect when flying East. So a second connection I can do without. As EK is now flying to Myanmar and Cambodia, no need to transit BKK>