Wrist watches in Pattaya

JohnJay

Just now, Mattd said:

Then you obviously don't know much then!!

Try Googling Comex Rolex Sea-Dweller as just one of hundreds of examples, I have at least two watches that are worth far more now than when purchased, even taking in to account the rise in the cost of living etc.

A proper watch purchased for the right price can appreciate in value, no doubts!

I have an old Seiko 6105 divers watch that I bought for $100 10 years ago, now worth a minimum $1500.

On 21.6.2017 at 7:11 AM, giddyup said:

Watches aren't particularly cheap in Thailand, so don't expect to find any bargains.

I used the "Hublot Fusion Black Magic" as a benchmark.

About 8000 Euro in Germany.

A price of 444'000 Baht found in Thailand, that's about 11800 Euro.

I guess there is a heavy import tax on such luxury goods.

Maybe some remember a recent report about a Thai woman smuggling a luxury watch from Singapore. Now I have an idea how lucrative that is.

Funny to see a Thai price comparison site with that 444'000 Baht followed by an offer of 3800 Baht :biggrin:

38 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Then you obviously don't know much then!!

Try Googling Comex Rolex Sea-Dweller as just one of hundreds of examples, I have at least two watches that are worth far more now than when purchased, even taking in to account the rise in the cost of living etc.

A proper watch purchased for the right price can appreciate in value, no doubts!

What ROI did you make on your "investment" and over how many years did you have to hold this "investment"?

Personally, I consider investments like real estate & stocks for making money.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

I used the "Hublot Fusion Black Magic" as a benchmark.

About 8000 Euro in Germany.

A price of 444'000 Baht found in Thailand, that's about 11800 Euro.

I guess there is a heavy import tax on such luxury goods.

Maybe some remember a recent report about a Thai woman smuggling a luxury watch from Singapore. Now I have an idea how lucrative that is.

Funny to see a Thai price comparison site with that 444'000 Baht followed by an offer of 3800 Baht :biggrin:

The Hublot Classic Fusion that I was quoted for in Bangkok started at 348,000 THB and was then 'discounted' to 200,000 THB, which was cheaper than the 4,500 GBP I paid in AUH airport DF shop.

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Hublot Classic Fusion

One problem is that under this name tons of different models exist.

That's why I picked this outstanding model.

In a German online catalog you find "Hublot Classic Fusion" models from less than 5000, 8000, 10000, 12000, 23000 Euro.

Too unspecific.

I should try another example.

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What ROI did you make on your "investment" and over how many years did you have to hold this "investment"?

Personally, I consider investments like real estate & stocks for making money.

I paid 3,350 GBP for a Rolex Submariner (Bi-metal) in 2002, conservative estimated value now is approx. 6,000 GBP, so nearly 100% in 15 years, not too bad and it is still ticking away.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

One problem is that under this name tons of different models exist.

That's why I picked this outstanding model.

Loads of them, mine is the lower end Titanium case, leather strap version!

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

I paid 3,350 GBP for a Rolex Submariner (Bi-metal) in 2002, conservative estimated value now is approx. 6,000 GBP, so nearly 100% in 15 years, not too bad and it is still ticking away.

If that's the case then I agree, the ROI has been decent. Keep in mind you only make the money once you sell it.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I agree that watches are probably not the investment that real estate can be, it's also pretty hit and miss.Who would know what watch to buy today that will appreciate in value?

In someways the same could be said of real estate, depends on the where, when etc. like all investments, they can go up or down.

Comes down to a bit of luck at the end of the day, sure wish I had a mint Comex Rolex though............. 

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The thread has already gone a bit off.

So maybe someone can contribute to the OP's second question about a good watchmaker for repair/cleaning/service?

I can't.

I don't know any watchmaker in Pattaya that I would trust with a high end watch.

Edited by giddyup

Just now, giddyup said:

I don't any watchmaker in Pattaya that I would trust with a high end watch.

+1 best going to the manufacturer's dealer in Bangkok, I'd be concerned about the replacement parts etc.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

In someways the same could be said of real estate, depends on the where, when etc. like all investments, they can go up or down.

Comes down to a bit of luck at the end of the day, sure wish I had a mint Comex Rolex though............. 

I'm a member of a couple of watch forums and I don't know of anybody that buys watches specifically as an investment. It's just a bonus if that is what happens.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

You Sir are correct, unlike some who post with no knowledge! of the hundreds of different brands there are about 15 brands that will always increase in value - Given time!

Edited by CGW

Rolex and most high end watches have a MRSP (minimum Recommend Selling Price )  which means if you are a dealer you cannot go below that if you want to remain an official dealer.

Tax is another issue and that is one area you can save on but varying prices between countries means you may not.

If you hunt around you can get high end watches which are a couple of years old and significant savings on the new price of the same model.

Japan ( just a hop from Pattaya ) has a number of very good value second had watch dealers ( including sites in English)  I purchased a quite nice ladies Corum, a couple of years old, in box and with guarantee for 140 000 yen, original price ( receipt ) 680 000

There are watches which will go up, but they need to be VERY exclusive or you need to be lucky.

Something like a Rolex will drop probably 20-30 in the first few years, but if you are lucky then rise to the original price, but in most cases not exceed it.

Best return on a watch I had was an older style Rolex with cracked glass, and missing winder no strap bought at a local auction in UK for 120 GBP, sorted by an independent watchmaker for about 180 GBP with new strap ( leather)

Good luck.

I purchased a quite nice ladies Corum, a couple of years old, in box and with guarantee for 140 000 yen, original price ( receipt ) 680 000

That wasn't much of an investment for the original buyer.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I purchased a quite nice ladies Corum, a couple of years old, in box and with guarantee for 140 000 yen, original price ( receipt ) 680 000

That wasn't much of an investment for the original buyer.

I think the trick is to buy used, and let the original purchaser take that hit on the depreciation. The same as if you buy a 2 year old car, the guy that bought it before you has lost a few grand.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

At a beer bar....:smile:

I have looked at prices at the airport and they don't look cheap.

I get my Tag serviced etc in Bangkok, last time cost me 3800 baht but would depend on what else you had done to it.

Took it to a shop in Gaysom Village/Plaza. Great excuse for a one night in Bangkok as the song goes.

3800... Did you get it serviced by TAG themselves?

1 hour ago, JohnJay said:

I think the trick is to buy used, and let the original purchaser take that hit on the depreciation. The same as if you buy a 2 year old car, the guy that bought it before you has lost a few grand.

That's not really an appreciation to an investment though is it? That's just you buying it cheaper because someone else has taken the loss. There may be money to be made (eventually, hopefully) on some brands of watches, but it seems the initial outlay is going to be pretty high, and the returns not that significant.

Edited by giddyup

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

That's not really an appreciation to an investment though is it? That's just you buying it cheaper because someone else has taken the loss. There may be money to be made (eventually, hopefully) on some brands of watches, but it seems the initial outlay is going to be pretty high, and the returns not that significant.

No it's not an investment at all, just a way to save money. I think we all know it's very hard to make money flipping watches.

15 hours ago, JohnJay said:

3800... Did you get it serviced by TAG themselves?

Yes, their service centre in Bangkok.

Much more quickly and cheaper than in the UK. That really is the problem with 'fancy' watches,  every 3-4 years the servicing costs you more than a perfectly good watch!

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, their service centre in Bangkok.

Much more quickly and cheaper than in the UK. That really is the problem with 'fancy' watches,  every 3-4 years the servicing costs you more than a perfectly good watch!

I don't service watches every 3-4 years. It's not like a car where if you don't service it's going to do damage. Actually the watch I'm wearing hasn't been serviced for 9 years and still running accurately. Here's an article by a watch maker showing a watch that hasn't been serviced for 30 years, with no consequences: http://watchguy.co.uk/service-rolex-1601-calibre-1570/

10 hours ago, JohnJay said:

I don't service watches every 3-4 years. It's not like a car where if you don't service it's going to do damage. Actually the watch I'm wearing hasn't been serviced for 9 years and still running accurately. Here's an article by a watch maker showing a watch that hasn't been serviced for 30 years, with no consequences: http://watchguy.co.uk/service-rolex-1601-calibre-1570/

I have a 40 year old Seiko that's never had the back off and is still running perfectly. No way I'd be buying a watch that required an expensive service every couple of years.

Edited by giddyup

• 3 months later...