No signal

zlodnick

I was having trouble with my phone calls being cut off.

Then I noticed the signal icon moving alot, up and down from 4bars to zero. I suspect when it is down to zero bars, that is when the call is cut off.

I have 1-2-call and the neighbors said they arn't having any problems. My phone was old, so I bought a new phone, but it does the same thing.

Could it be the sim card? It's about 15 years old.

Is this problem specific to your location? Go to your neighbour's place and try there. And try other locations.

If it is nothing to do with location, then it can only be the phone or the SIM card and as you've replaced the phone, you're down to the SIM.

Go see Telewiz. They can replace the SIM for you. Make sure you have ID. 

21 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

Thanks for the replys.

If I replace the sim, can I keep the same number?

Yes, of course. It will take 2 minutes at most. They scan the new SIM and then link it to your account.

SIM exhaustion is the likely cause of your issue.

I just walked around the neighborhood, poor signal everywhere.

Then I rode further away from home and got a strong signal everywhere.

I can't see where anything has changed. I've even cut the tops off several tall trees.

As others have suggested, try replacing the SIM card.

SIM cards hold subscriber and wireless connection data. So older cards may not have the latest data on how to connect to the home network, or are so old that they can't be refreshed.  Almost all of the Thai carriers have modified their networks just in the last 2-3 years so an updated SIM wouldn't hurt.

I just walked around the neighborhood, poor signal everywhere.

OK, that's sort of "new" information as you previously said...

the neighbors said they arn't having any problems

I'd still try a new SIM, but it could be your exact location.

What is the make/model of your new phone? Do you live in a remote area? Or in a tall building? Can you ask someone using AIS to pop round your location and see if they have the same problem?

It sounds like you had acceptable service for ~ 14 years with AIS in this location prior to your recent travails? Maybe AIS has transitioned all their older GSM900 over to 4G, and this presents issues in your location?

On 6/21/2017 at 9:21 AM, zlodnick said:

[...]

I noticed the signal icon moving alot, up and down from 4bars to zero. I suspect when it is down to zero bars, that is when the call is cut off.

I have 1-2-call and the neighbors said they arn't having any problems. My phone was old, so I bought a new phone, but it does the same thing.

The signal issue can be from the phone constantly bouncing between towers (balancing call congestion vs signal strength), or possibly localized interference.

If neighbors would also need to be 1-2-Call subscribers for their reporting to be useful.

Again, a new replacement SIM Card couldn't hurt  ( ...unless they find the old account needs to be 'updated' to a newer billing schedule -- ugh). Should just be a simple SIM swap, with subscriber verification (Thai ID Card or Foreigner Passport). 

I have the same problem with AIS signal in my apartment even though there is a tower nearby.  If I go 50 yards either way, the problem disappears.  Basically, there is some sort of signal "null" caused by who knows what.  I've had AIS technicians come by and they confirmed the problem but nobody's going to climb the tower to re-orient the signal.

I very much doubt that changing your SIM will help...didn't change anything for me.

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Basically, there is some sort of signal "null" caused by who knows what.

Your apartment probably lays right on the RF seam of a tower multi-antenna array, with RF signal from at least two of the antennas cancelling each other out.   ...or your apartment walls are bouncing the signals into a perfect interference pattern

I wonder how much a mess adding a Mobile Signal Booster Antenna in the good part of your apartment would add to the mix?

ps: You really shouldn't have added installed the two wall-to-wall mirrors. The ceiling mirror should have been enough. 

"Your apartment probably lays right on the RF seam of a tower multi-antenna array, with RF signal from at least two of the antennas cancelling each other out.   ...or your apartment walls are bouncing the signals into a perfect interference pattern"

Is that what we used to call "multipath distortion" in FM car radio days?

"I wonder how much a mess adding a Mobile Signal Booster Antenna in the good part of your apartment would add to the mix?"

Not such a good idea.  Some days the only exercise I get is walking the 50 yards to make a call.

ps: Ceiling mirror a big disappointment...like trying to line up a selfie on a bouncing bus.