Blood pressure machines in Thailand

bazza73

Every time I go to a dental clinic or hospital here, they check my blood pressure with a battery powered cuff, then tell me I have high blood pressure.

Had a cystoscopy in Australia a week ago, and the hospital nurses were panicking because my blood pressure was low after coming out of anaesthesia. 100/60. Told me to see my GP,  maybe reduce my medication.

My GP is the only one in the Australian practice that uses a sphygmomanometer, i.e. one with a mercury manometer, which is by definition self-calibrating. He measured my blood pressure as 120/70. Perfect, particularly at my age.

When I checked the back of one of the battery-powered ones here, it had not been calibrated for 7 years. According to the date on the calibration sticker.

Just wondering how many people here have been told they are hypertensive when they are not. And prescribed unnecessary medication as a consequence.

Edited by bazza73
Addition

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

the hospital nurses were panicking because my blood pressure was low after coming out of anaesthesia

Probably better to have the procedure conducted/monitored by a urologist and anesthesiologist  rather than random nurses. 

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Told me to see my GP,

When I had a procedure under anesthesia in Thailand, a cardiologist advised on medication I was taking for hypertension and checked how I was doing before and after. Strange that the nurses were alarmed at your BP and then packed you off to sort it out somewhere else. 

Many people do have elevated blood pressure when they see a doctor or go to hospital.

White coat hypertension, more commonly known as white coat syndrome, is a phenomenon in which patients exhibit a blood pressure level above the normal range, in a clinical setting, though they don't exhibit it in other settings.

Monday I visited Chula hospital, across from Lumpini Park main entrance, Rama 4 and Silom junction. These blood pressure results were taken before going for an xray were not acceptable by the nurse on reception and told to take another test! Second test results had increased to 50 which were acceptable and I was allowed to see the doctor for my broken shoulder review.

IMG_0917.JPG

Same for me in Chiangmai at clinic or hospital. They check me usually 5-10 minutes after I drive there. Sure thing , morning coffee and driving here increase blood pressure and they should wait 20-30 minutes before checking.

Also I agree there must be calibration problem with the many automatic BP machine they use. I am mostly high with the BP machine  but I tell the nurse or the doctor to check manually with a Sphygmomanometer and stethoscope and I have normal BP.

Most machines are old and have never been recalibrated. Always request that your BP be taken the old fashioned way.  With a stethoscope and a sphymomanometer.....

Agree with cnx355 comment. I found riding the motorbike always spiked my blood pressure. I would add the observation that having a pretty, little Thai nurse check the blood pressure seems to have an added affect....just sayin...

I have had maybe 60 hospital visits in the last 18 mths

Often if I am stressed on arrival my blood pressure is elevated, sit and relax and breath deeply for ten mins and have it redone, and amazing generally it will have returned to more normal levels

I have my own machine at home that has a memory, so even if the calibration were out it shows trends, which is equally important as the actual reading so I believe

In fact my machine is pretty accurate

I believe it is unfair to generally criticise all the hospitals machines in Thailand, yes there are many incorrect readings but not generally the fault of the machine

Look beyond the machine for a reason

I don't trust the blood pressure monitors  at clinics or hospitals.. I have my own that I bought from Lazada.. 800 Bt..  I check my bp regularly..   Be aware that your bp goes up and down all the time..  depending on many factors.. by checking it yourself you can establish a pattern and get a better idea of whether or not it is normal.. try to make the check at about the same time of day each time you check it.. I do mine in the morning while I am relaxed.  

If you are concerned buy a machine of course they are legit ,sold worldwide,Every 3 mths or so when I visit my Dr I take my machine and check readings against theirs always the same.I suffer "white coat fever " On exiting Dr or hospital its back to normal.

I take a reading at the same time every day usually around 4pm ,take medication at breakfast.

Laza 45 if you dont trust a machine at a hospital whose could you trust ? bit of paranoia there I think. In my 17 years here I would rate Thai hospitals as good as anywhere in the world and in some cases better 

2 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

If you are concerned buy a machine of course they are legit ,sold worldwide,Every 3 mths or so when I visit my Dr I take my machine and check readings against theirs always the same.I suffer "white coat fever " On exiting Dr or hospital its back to normal.

I take a reading at the same time every day usually around 4pm ,take medication at breakfast.

Laza 45 if you dont trust a machine at a hospital whose could you trust ? bit of paranoia there I think. In my 17 years here I would rate Thai hospitals as good as anywhere in the world and in some cases better 

...I have had a few experiences that have made me skeptical of pb readings in clinics and hospitals.. and I have had experiences where I have trusted them.. I have had a Dr take a reading with the cuff askew and recorded a high reading and had him brush it off and not check again.. sometimes the machines are old and I have my doubts of them being re-calibrated...  Please note my criticism is not a general criticism of Thai hospitals.. I and my family have had good treatment on a number of occasions..   I am cautious.. not paranoid..   When I first discovered that my bp was on the high side a Thai Dr prescribed a medication to lower it..  when next I visited my regular Dr in Australia he said that the medication I had been give had not been used in Australia for 10 years.. and never as a first choice for someone like myself newly diagnosed and moderate increase in bp..  I recommend caution... 

When I go in for my regular 3 monthly blood test the nurse is always to quick to bring out the BP machine, before  my BP has settled to normal (takes 15-30 minutes), but when I get in to see the consultant (an hour or so later, by the time the lab results are returned) the reading she gets with a sphygmomanometer is exactly the same (within a few points) of the reading I get on my electric machine at home, so it you have a good one they are perfectly reliable, just depends how sensibly they are used.

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Probably better to have the procedure conducted/monitored by a urologist and anesthesiologist  rather than random nurses. 

When I had a procedure under anesthesia in Thailand, a cardiologist advised on medication I was taking for hypertension and checked how I was doing before and after. Strange that the nurses were alarmed at your BP and then packed you off to sort it out somewhere else. 

Many people do have elevated blood pressure when they see a doctor or go to hospital.

I was staying in the hospital overnight. I wouldn't expect a urologist and anaesthetist to monitor me for the next 12 hours after the procedure itself.

The nurses were alarmed because low blood pressure can cause a patient to pass out and fall over as a consequence. That's not a good look for a hospital, although it might please some lawyers specializing in medical negligence.

35 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

When I go in for my regular 3 monthly blood test the nurse is always to quick to bring out the BP machine, before  my BP has settled to normal (takes 15-30 minutes), but when I get in to see the consultant (an hour or so later, by the time the lab results are returned) the reading she gets with a sphygmomanometer is exactly the same (within a few points) of the reading I get on my electric machine at home, so it you have a good one they are perfectly reliable, just depends how sensibly they are used.

It may be worth bearing in mind the home machine doesn't get much wear and tear. In hospitals, a similar machine may be used dozens of times every day.

2 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

I'm OK if the Nurse is Ugly or Male.....otherwise.emoji1434.png?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm wondering what would happen if she didn't put the cuff on your arm, but somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

I'm OK if the Nurse is Ugly or Male.....otherwise.emoji1434.png?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Interesting we all look at things differently, Ugly or male I worry my blood up

Sexy female I return to normal calming effect  :passifier:

13 hours ago, NickJ said:

Most machines are old and have never been recalibrated. Always request that your BP be taken the old fashioned way.  With a stethoscope and a sphymomanometer.....

+1

Or just take it at home with your own, properly calibrated machine.

Even taken properly at a health facility it may be elevated due to the "white coat synfrome".

The machines that many Tahi hsopitals have taken to using - the self-use ones that you put your arm inside -- are broken/miscalibarted  more often than not.

Is there any reason to be concerned if blood pressure is a lot lower than normal but still in normal range?  I know for example 90/60 is considered good but may be too low for some people?

Last few days, my BP readings have been around 118/70.   I should be happy because I've made some lifestyle changes over the past few weeks (exercise / diet / no alcohol) to bring it down, but I wonder how it's come down so fast.

Only been checking daily for 5 weeks but prior to the last few days, it's averaged around 135/80.  

Edited by randymarsh

20 minutes ago, randymarsh said:

Is there any reason to be concerned if blood pressure is a lot lower than normal but still in normal range?  I know for example 90/60 is considered good but may be too low for some people?

Last few days, my BP readings have been around 118/70.   I should be happy because I've made some lifestyle changes over the past few weeks (exercise / diet / no alcohol) to bring it down, but I wonder how it's come down so fast.

Only been checking daily for 5 weeks but prior to the last few days, it's averaged around 135/80.  

I think you are on the right track.. 118/70 is good.. 135/80 is getting to the upper limit where I like mine to be..  the systolic pressure is the important one.. (higher number).. diastolic is less important according to my Dr.. unless it is so low that you fell faint when you stand up.. The American Society of Hypertension is recommending systolic pressure as low as 110 for older people.. the reason being that as we age our blood vessels loose their elasticity and we are  more at risk of stroke.. keep up the good work..   For how low is too low Google it..  here is one article from Mayo Clinic that I thought is interesting and informative...   http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/symptoms-causes/dxc-20316599

On 22/06/2017 at 9:48 PM, randymarsh said:

IMHO 118/70 is really good.

You probably only need to check once a week unless you have a big lifestyle change.

In my case, I found the effect of abstaining from alcohol was the most dramatic, because there was little change to my exercise/diet patterns.

Why is it just about everything we like is bad for us?

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

IMHO 118/70 is really good.

You probably only need to check once a week unless you have a big lifestyle change.

In my case, I found the effect of abstaining from alcohol was the most dramatic, because there was little change to my exercise/diet patterns.

Why is it just about everything we like is bad for us?

Agreed I haven't had a beer for a few weeks, and there's no way the improvement isn't related.  I'll prove it next time I'm hungover when my bp shoots up again.  Almost enough to make me quit drinking, but that would be boring.