Britain's Prince Philip hospitalised with infection but is in "good spirits"

snoop1130

Britain's Prince Philip hospitalised with infection but is in "good spirits"

By Costas Pitas

2017-06-21T095959Z_1_LYNXMPED5K0O1_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-ROYALS.JPG

Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip attend Trooping the Colour in London, Britain, June 17, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Prince Philip, the 96-year-old husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth, has been admitted to hospital with an infection and will miss the formal opening of parliament, but he remains in good spirits, Buckingham Palace said.

Philip, whose official title is Duke of Edinburgh and has sometimes drawn attention with headline-grabbing gaffes, has been by the queen's side throughout her 65 years on the throne and she has described him as "my strength and stay".

"The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London last night, as a precautionary measure, for treatment of an infection arising from a pre-existing condition," a spokesman for the Palace said.

"Prince Philip is in good spirits and is disappointed to be missing the State Opening of Parliament and Royal Ascot," the spokesman said.

The queen, the world's longest-reigning living monarch, celebrated her 91st birthday in April. She will be accompanied in parliament by her son, Prince Charles, who is heir to the throne,

When Philip announced in May that he would retire later this year from active public life, he quipped about not being able to "stand up much".

Outspoken, irascible and intensely private, Philip, a Greek-born former naval officer, has a reputation for brusque comments and occasional gaffes.

Elizabeth and Philip, who married at Westminster Abbey in 1947, are due to celebrate their platinum, or 70th, wedding anniversary in November.

Both the queen and Philip have suffered some health issues in recent years.

The queen missed a traditional Christmas church service last year for the first time in decades because of a heavy cold and was hospitalised in March 2013 with symptoms of gastroenteritis.

Philip underwent "an exploratory operation following abdominal investigations" in 2013.

(Reporting by Costas Pitas and Kate Holton; editing by Guy Faulconbridge, Larry King)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-6-21

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Look at the state of him, he looks like an advert for embalming salts. 96 is way past your bed time.

I just hope you reach his age, but without his obvious sharp mind and albeit slow mobility.

Go for your century Phil, maybe you'll get a telegram from the Queen.

You are an inspiration to us all (except one)

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Look at the state of him, he looks like an advert for embalming salts. 96 is way past your bed time.

Well, I don't know about you, but I will be in bed way before then !!!!....:smile:

Just now, AhFarangJa said:

Well, I don't know about you, but I will be in bed way before then !!!!....:smile:

Me to, he has held up well, i rather like the old gentleman, caustic, no PC, no false pathos. When you look at his face though one wouldn't like to bet about him waking up tomorrow. 

Duke of Edinburgh leaves hospital

The Duke of Edinburgh has left hospital after being admitted as "a precautionary measure".

Prince Philip was treated at King Edward VII Hospital in central London for an infection arising from a pre-existing condition.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said on Wednesday that the 96-year-old was in good spirits.

The BBC understands his condition is "not a cause for serious concern".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40366377

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-06-22

I was at Cashmere high School in Christchurch in 1969 when the Queen and Duke visited. Of all the Students lined up the Duke spoke and asked me me if We got some time off study to see them. I said no we bloody well have to stay back (as we normally finished at 1515 but had to stay back until 1530). He just laughed and grinned . Always found him down to earth. Respect always Sir