Islamic State blows up historic Mosul mosque where it declared 'caliphate' - Iraqi military

webfact

32 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Why am I biased? Ah, you are leaping to prejudicial conclusions from my user name.

I am not Russian, nor anti-US. I am Anglo-Saxon, from Yorkshire, where my ancestors have resided since the year dot.

The name is homage to a couple of my idols, Dostoyevsky and Tarkovsky. Sorry to disappoint.

On this issue - on all issues, by principle - I am completely objective. However, I admit to having a casual interest in Islamic architecture and have toured such sites in the Middle East in quieter times.

Andaman Al mentioned Occam's Razor. I agree the best theory involves the least number of words, and they are: the US did it.

Nothing to do with your user name, but with the same sort of "reasoning" appearing in many of your posts. So the first half of the post if totally off mark. As for being "completely objective" on all issues, pull the other one.

Seriously guys, looking at the blast again - if ISIS had demolished it as claimed (I don't see the military claiming a munitions dump went up, either by accident or design) - how many ISIS guys would have spent how many days and expended how much explosives rigging up that perfect demolition? It went up in a single massive pulverising technically precise blast. Judging by their efforts to demolish Palmyra, they just wrapped dynamite around it and hoped for the best. The results were amateurish .

Everything about ISIS is amateurish. Why on earth should we credit them with the time, the expertise, and the motive to do this to their home mosque? None of that makes sense. But I know what does make sense...

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Seriously guys, looking at the blast again - if ISIS had demolished it as claimed (I don't see the military claiming a munitions dump went up, either by accident or design) - how many ISIS guys would have spent how many days and expended how much explosives rigging up that perfect demolition? It went up in a single massive pulverising technically precise blast. Judging by their efforts to demolish Palmyra, they just wrapped dynamite around it and hoped for the best. The results were amateurish .

Everything about ISIS is amateurish. Why on earth should we credit them with the time, the expertise, and the motive to do this to their home mosque? None of that makes sense. But I know what does make sense...

Do some reading. The military intelligence DO say that there was not only an ammo dump there but it was a weapons factory, where there were stashed huge amounts of explosives. ISIS did not spend days rigging explosives up they just stored them there - lots of them.  This was not a 'perfect demolition' it was just a bloody huge explosion.   Your second problem statement is that everything about ISIS is amateurish........... wrong! They are an extremely sophisticated, well funded, well armed organisation and the 'real ISIS organisation is a force to be reckoned with. The coalition do not underestimate this adversary. So, you look at the blast again and then look at the blast I provided a video for. This is like squeezing blood out of a stone.