National park admission fees generate 1.7 billion baht in revenue

webfact

National park admission fees generate 1.7 billion baht in revenue

BANGKOK, 22 June 2017 (NNT) – The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) has collected some 1.7 billion baht in revenue from national park admission fees, with the most being collected from Hat Nopparat Tara - Mu Koh Pi Pi islands off Krabi. 

DNP Spokesman Sompot Maneerat revealed the agency has collected more than 1,678 billion baht in revenue from such admission fees from October 2016 until June 2017 following the renovation of facilities and restoration of natural resources. 

Most of the revenue were collected from the admission fee by 428 million baht at Hat Nopparat Tara - Mu Koh Pi Pi National Park, followed by 299 million baht at Mu Koh Similan National Park. 

The DNP has aimed to have national parks across the country generate more revenue from tourism in order to allocate the money for the restoration and development of natural attractions, and to take care of national park personnel, whereas the budget provided from the government alone was not sufficient.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-22

2 hours ago, webfact said:

has collected some 1.7 billion baht in revenue

...of which 1.4 billion were contributed by foreign visitors to the country, each of whom is fleeced for the ten-fold park entrance fee a local pays. And not even a brief 'thanks' for that in the article?

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

...of which 1.4 billion were contributed by foreign visitors to the country, each of whom is fleeced for the ten-fold park entrance fee a local pays. And not even a brief 'thanks' for that in the article?

Indeed! Bad enough torists ate put through this but even those of us living here are fleeced and our Thai family's and friends embarrassed when we visit or take our friends to the National Parks in Thailand.

1 hour ago, avander said:

Indeed! Bad enough torists ate put through this but even those of us living here are fleeced and our Thai family's and friends embarrassed when we visit or take our friends to the National Parks in Thailand.

I stopped taking the Thai nieces and nephews to national parks many years ago. It irked  me to have to pay for the privilege of having to pay more for that privilege.

No mention of where the revenue ended up. Need that question be asked or answered?

The word "audit" has little use or application in Thailand.

Edited by Cadbury

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

I stopped taking the Thai nieces and nephews to national parks many years ago. It irked  me to have to pay for the privilege of having to pay more for that privilege.

same as you; i dont go; drop off friends,etc outside the gate; wait for the phone call

2 hours ago, avander said:

There's a very easy method which I use to remedy this. It's so obvious.

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Last week (Thai) wife and I went to Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai.    The entrance fee for her (Thai) myself (falang) and the car was B380.   The breakdown was B 300 for me, B50 for wife and B 30 for the vehicle.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The DNP has aimed to have national parks across the country generate more revenue from tourism in order to allocate the money for the restoration and development of natural attractions,

Not to mention the purchase of submarines and tanks (which is closer to the real reason)

2 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Last week (Thai) wife and I went to Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai.    The entrance fee for her (Thai) myself (falang) and the car was B380.   The breakdown was B 300 for me, B50 for wife and B 30 for the vehicle.

would you go back ?

No mention of where the revenue ended up. Need that question be asked or answered? The word "audit" has little use or application in Thailand.

Revenue went to support critical social programs benefiting all citizens especially the poor, such as buying submarines.

34 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

would you go back ?

Like most people I don't like the two-tier pricing but we do like camping and wife and I visit Khao Yai NP several times a year during the winter months when the cool weather is great for camping.     Chae Son NP with its hot springs in Lampang is another national park we will re-visit as well as  going back to Doi Inthanon later in the year.

I quit going to parks and such, a few years back, for the same reason, 400 baht for the Farang

cheap for Thai relatives, who also live in Canada.  I just got tired of being ripped off.  I guess there

are still lots of first timers coming to Thailand, and of course the bus tour groups.

Geezer

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

No mention of where the revenue ended up. Need that question be asked or answered?

The word "audit" has little use or application in Thailand.

Possibly used to build resorts on National parks.....