Stolen British supercars shipped to Thailand in tax scam

webfact

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It was exposed quite some time ago, how these vehicles were 'exported'  from the UK.

1. High value vehicle was stolen to order.

2. Vehicle immediately replated with a registration from an identical vehicle. 

3. Vehicle then driven to one of the ferry ports and taken to the continent by a 'holiday maker' or 'business tripper'.

The vehicle had often left the country before the owner even realized it had been stolen.

Goods may well be subject to custom's scrutiny, but not people and their possessions when leaving the country. Unless, of course, they have been flagged as a 'person of interest'.

I've driven over to the continent many times and no one has ever questioned me about my car.

If by continent you mean Europe, then in most places you will still be inside the EU. Hence your car would not have passed any customs. Try driving to Norway or any of the Eastern European countries or beyond which are not part of the EU, and you will have to pass customs. In case of a hard Brexit customs will be reintroduced on the UK's borders. 

17 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

If by continent you mean Europe, then in most places you will still be inside the EU. Hence your car would not have passed any customs. Try driving to Norway or any of the Eastern European countries or beyond which are not part of the EU, and you will have to pass customs. In case of a hard Brexit customs will be reintroduced on the UK's borders. 

Actually not true, 

when i I was living and working in the UK I often had to go to Rotterdam, Antwerp etc and for me the best Way was to drive and take the cross channel ferry.

as I then owned a pretty nice top end B!W softtop almost every time I went to Dover I was hauled in by customs for a check.  They never searched the car but always asked for documents as to ownership etc. I never carried them in the car  but had  copies in my case which seemed to satisfy. Never did get an answer as to why they kept on stopping me even though I asked numerous times.